This is Nonsense

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ash87, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash87

I usually try to avoid straight bile, but I am going to be honest, both of these things are seriously reducing my chances of playing.

Something that is kind of an issue that no one talks about with Planetside 2, is the easily exploitable mechanics. Things that increase the chance of curbstomping zerg rushes from more organized groups, and things that can be abused to push people around the map that are only obvious to people who have been playing the game for a longer period of time. A more open redeploy option, cutting penalties to suicide/redeploy, and lower respawn timers do that. The counter balance for it, is making people more reliant on transports, making them move from base to base by ways of convoys. Right now, if the fastest way to move is by redeploy, and I mean the fastest way by Far, is by redeploy... what reason on earth does anyone have to pull a sunderer when going to a new base. You need transport for 4 people, the squad leads. Once they get to the base, they drop squad beacons, and everyone can drop in as one unit. This is faster and less dangerous than using just about any means of transport currently available. It is an instantaneous drop too, no delay, no reason to push more people... the guy clicks on button and Boom, down goes the beacon and here comes 11 more able bodies.

Now what do transports do? Transports are what cause a lot of that in-base fighting that people actually enjoy. If you do not have the need for things to move between the bases... no one is going to move between the bases unless it is as an after thought. Basically, you could move people from point A to point B, using drop pods and beacons... and then a little bit later bring in a Sunderer.

This does not encourage play to occur between bases, this discourages it.

The game seems to be trying to have it's cake and eat it, in that it is going to "Make goals for people to fight between, between bases" but at the same time, not making that One Main Thing to destroy between bases, the logistical network of sunderers and redeploy points, be a thing. This further erodes the vehicle play. The vehicle game exists right now as it is, pretty much because of incompetence. You have a tiny minority of people who pull tanks, because they like to pull tanks, and then you have the vast majority of tanks being pulled because someone is new to new-ish to the game and they pull them because they have little to no idea how much they can effect by using one, but saw a tank and decided they needed one. Vehicles have no objectives to go after. Planes should be seeking out Galaxies to shoot down. Tanks should be seeking out sunderers.

To be perfectly honest, until this point I had tried to play the game using transports, and would encourage people to use transports... but the fact of the matter is that it is not worth my time anymore. Transports have no role in PS2. They can't carry more, they can't go faster, they aren't more convenient... you are better off using 4 guys, 4 spawn beacons, and 4 separate wraith flashes or ESFs.

If you want a thread about the Upgrade option being so prominent on your screen, Uber has a thread about that here in general. It's obnoxious, and it just isn't going to convince me to sign up... because it's so obnoxious. So why is it there?

Convenience does not mean fun. Working towards getting your 12 people to an objective, really Trying to push people down lane... This is a Goal. This is something that when you do it successfully you feel good about yourself. People seem to want every difference between the factions taken out, every 15 second delay reduced, every inch of the map covered by spawn points, and everything accessible by 1 click and half a second wait... And yes, the community Does call for this. Unbelievably silly ideas, that have are damaging to the game are always supported by the community Plenty enough, that the 1 in a 100 thing that gets pushed through: "That no one asked for" Is far outshined by the things that people begged the developers to add in. You want another that will backfire wonderfully? The company system. What will this do: This will make zergs bigger, and require Less leadership, because zergs operate at the will of 1 person, the platoon leader, squad leader, or random member who shouts loud enough for their voice to be heard. If there are 96 people, that loud person will be moving 96 people from point to point, whereas now he moves 48. Making zergs require less input will make them even dumber, and even more difficult to stop. Yet that got like a million reddit upvotes, and plenty of support, to the point the devs made it part of the "Leadership update" which is infact the update adding in the kind of teaching squads, people said they needed about a year ago.

The game has gotten away from it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back approach it had last year... now we have a 2 steps forward 2 steps back. Maybe this time next year we'll be moving vaguely forward.
    • Up x 29
  2. PlatoonLeaderG

I agree with you,flash were meant to be easy transport too but no1 get them when you can redeploy.I also see sundies numbers droping,why get a sundie when you can get your lighting and farm people....i m angry and i hope they fix those flashes someday.
  3. UberBonisseur

Well, I guess it's because spawn timers are set to 15 seconds in the first place, and redeploy takes 10.

Seems logic at first, but...
    That wouldn't be a problem if the redeployment system wasn't incoherent and let whole platoons redeploy at the other side of a map almost instantly. Which is exactly what SOE wanted to avoid.

I'm fine with people moving around the map by the press of a button; it will never replace (for the most part) transport vehicles; you actually have to get your AMS on the field and protect it.

But do it right and adjust timers based on distance, not the arbitrary, near instant 15 second timer.
    (also, end that gal spawning madness)
    • Up x 5
  4. Hosp

This.

As it was, transports were used both offensively and defensively as it kept a group together, and a group moving together, even if it took a little longer, could be more effective upon reaching the target destination.

Now, waiting for everyone to re-spawn becomes the better option and there's really no point to using transports defensively aside from an extra spawn point for an AMS. All that has to happen is SL/PL needs to get to new location, via base respawn hopping, to spawn the group there.
  5. AltF4Fun

I noticed on Amerish for example that you can just jump from one base to the next in the hax,not all across the map.I usually dont bother to redeploy like 20 times on Amerish when I still have resources.I actually liked the old system better where you could always pull a flash because it was so cheap.
  6. Paisty

I welcome the lesser respawn timer when redeploying.

Attempting to force everyone in the game to use a sundy to get around is asinine and makes ESF's cheap taxis. Also with the Gal spawning now in game alot of outfits just keep 1 galaxy above their objective and rotate the pilot through the squads as needed.

Then the galaxy with maybe 2 gunners flies to the next objective while the platoon cleans up the last objective. Rinse and repeat.

Sunderers are presently just Lib fodder and placing anymore of your force than a driver and 2 gunners in one is a good way to get a large chunk of your platoon/squad killed. Once the sundy gets to location deploy it and then have the platoon redeploy on the sunderer.

The only good reason and class that should be using a sundy to actually drive between bases are Maxes, and they should be the gunners if you cannot get your galaxy to pick them up and drop them more accurately on the next point.
    • Up x 3
  7. Aegie

I know, lets make gigantic maps and then create spawn rooms and respawn mechanics that make troop transport and logistics so worthless that we end up with a giant map full of instanced arena shooters! Yeah, brilliant!

Spawn rooms = cheap mechanic that invites cheap game play.

Redeploy = cheap mechanic that invites cheap game play.

There is no such thing as a "front line" in PS2, lattice just gives you an illusion of a front line- an illusion masked by the spawn room.
    • Up x 3
  8. 3asyD

I have not been too happy with the past couple of updates, death screen and lib spam now this, not sure I'm liking the direction ps2 is going.
  9. Pootisman

Whats the problem? Fights between bases are usually drawn out, with few people to shoot. A waste of time in my opinion. I always use redeploy for transport, only when there are no allied sundies in the area i pull a transport vehicle.
  10. FABIIK

The shortened timer doesn't change the situation for attackers.
    It's a big help though for defenders, especially out of prime time when pop is low.

15 -> 5 seconds ?

Those 10 seconds can help set up a few mines here and there.
    Or it can give you just enough time to repair a turret and welcome the invaders.

I like it.
  11. Sledgecrushr

This seems to be more of a defenders buff. Im pretty cool with that.
    • Up x 3
  12. FABIIK

Pretty much. I guess low pop ghost cappers are the ones most annoyed by the change...
    • Up x 1
  13. doombro

I've wanted the first change for a long time now. I already have to wait 10 seconds, and then it wants me to wait another 15? It's a positive change IMO. The reinforcement system is bad as is. I'm glad they're going to at least make redeploy hopping less painful.

And I somewhat disagree about the role of vehicles as you put it. This might not work logically speaking, but vehicles are there to get rid of other vehicles. I see tanks as a way to get rid of other tanks and break stalemates. If you're fighting at a base surrounded by tanks, grab some friends, pull a few tanks, and flank them a bit. It's fun and effective. Same idea goes for air. Since the devs decided not to add a way to "win" the game, the main thing is to have fun, not cap territory. And vehicle gameplay is very fun in PS2, to my experience.

But, I've already got auraxium membership. I don't need to be reminded about that. :rolleyes:
  14. Nocturnal7x

Call of Planetside: Modern zergfare.
    • Up x 1
  15. Phazaar

Bad idea is bad.
  16. SenEvason

It was a needed change. I never understood why redeploying took 25 seconds while suiciding took 10.

Now if they would only make how the game chooses spawn locations less random and have less of a distance, we'd be great.
  17. starlinvf

This entire thread except for Sen's post is a waste of exposition, as Suicide has always been an option, and a faster one at that. Changing the redeploy timer without changing the spawn rules results in = strategic change. In short,you're just arguing over color of a ballistic missile.

I remember a time when no one bothered to defend bases, because it was always 10 times easier to give up a base, then turn around and take it back from the guys that just took it. Then bases started getting defensible... so people started going around them and attacking bases away from the front. Then people complained about the gigantic rise of zergs ghost capping bases...

Everything about this argument has to be applied to both sides to make any kind of sense. If Defenders can't shift force around, attackers shouldn't have portable spawns, and should ferry their forces from an adjacent base. Forcing defenders to travel to base to defend also means they'll have to attack from the outside in..... this turns the base design against them. Not to mention the fact that the cap time on bases are so short, organizing a response team and traveling to a base take at least 3 minutes.

The so called overpop faction would gain a significant advantage from this, since they can spread more of their forces around while still maintaining killing power. Underpopped, and defending, means having to focus a larger segment of their forces to defend a base, which runs the risk of compromising a defense from another front.
    • Up x 1
  18. FABIIK

The new respawn timer doesn't have much to do with the zergization of the game.

The mission system on the other hand...
  19. Nocturnal7x

well it will increase the power of the zerg, when you bomb 20 guys w/ c4 they will be back 3x faster.
  20. FABIIK

That's also true for defenders.

But the zergers' vehicles won't ... ;)
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.