[Suggestion] This game need content, not balance. Personal wish list

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Karohime, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Karohime

Planetside 2 have too much potential to just let it slowly rot and die out, this game can be so much more.
    Every year I come back to PS2 just to see what have changed.

Well some minor changes have happened but not that impressive, however, that new gun for TR MG-S1 JACKAL, when I saw it. I slammed my wallet hard to the computer screen. I <3 it

Anyway, as said, haven’t been online for over a year. Is there still no road map or words from the developers what they want to implant next (serious I have search around)

But overall, what does the community think. What do you people seek?
    Balance or content?

My minor wish list:
    Binoculars
    Infantry Night vision googles (not scoped)
    Flamethrower – TR Gas – Vanu Electricity – NC Flame
    One use defibrillator for all infantries
    Implant – %? not trigger mines

Well the list can be longer.
    • Up x 2
  2. Eternaloptimist

All introduced since I started playing (not in order):
    • Koltyr (new and old);
    • Combined Arms Initiative;
    • Alert system (new and old);
    • Construction;
    • Unstable Warpgates;
    • New infantry weapons and reskins;
    • The Valkyrie;
    • Engineer deployables and repair 'nade;
    • Medic shield regen device;
    • New cosmetics;
    • free armour and weapon attachments for new players;
    • Directive system;
    • Hossin;
    • base redesigns;
    • vehicle capturable points;
    • revamped and much improved implant system..............
    I think a lot has changed in significant areas and it has been for the better insofar as it suits what I look for in the game (others may not like all of it so much).
    Where would you place defibrillator, binoculars and NV scope? they are tools so I guess you'd need to be willing not to take mines, medkits, aux armour or C4 maybe? Fine if that is what you want - I have no objection to these being added. I believe flamethrowers caused technical problems affecting gameplay but if you really want a short range weapon with a big "kill me first" badge then again - go for it if DBG can fix the bugs.

I think things are pretty balanced at the moment but what I would like to see are:
    • new carbines (may be in the works following SMGs and LMGs);
    • something similar to the TR Striker for other factions;
    • making aircraft controls easier - I have only ever flown an airplane as far as the nearest tree;
    • better server response times/less lag.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Just a personal opinion, but your list of suggestions is more underwhelming than the official change log, save for the last suggestion which taps into the perfect radar/perfect stealth issue that ESFs are currently going through.

If you need something like the TR Striker, use a Rocklet Rifle.
  4. Zak Preston

Binoculars and NVGs would be awesome.
  5. FateJH

By the way, the implant called Infravision.
    • Up x 1
  6. DirArtillerySupport

I think it's over and I seek a new game.
    • Up x 1
  7. DrPapaPenguin

Balance first, content after.
    • Up x 4
  8. Demigan

This game needs balance, but why would that exclude new content?

For example the new vehicle cap bases that focus on PMB's. Its new content and it makes vehicles more important in the overall infantry/vehicle/aircraft (meta utility) balance. Not necessarily individual balance.

Or how about adding a range of new G2A weapons based on skill rather than deterence? Those would work wonders for the game. As would content that would give infantry and ground vehicles lethal and non-lethal G2A abilities so that air wont have it so easy.

Or how about finally giving most of the special snowflakes the boot they deserve and add a lot of content to all aircraft Except the ESF, so that the ESF isnt the King of just about everything aircraft anymore?

Or how about introducing that forwards station that would heavily boost the usefulness of the Medic, Infil and LA without having to nerf the Heavy or increase the firepower of the first 3.

Content is what can best balance this game.
    • Up x 3
  9. strikearrow

Changing the game at all requires money and that's why balance excludes content. This game has plenty of content, it needs bug fixes more than any other change really. However, an even better investment would be advertising. This game is pretty darn good the way it is and advertising would bring in money so DBQ is not so understaffed.
    • Up x 1
  10. raffa2

Of course this game needs a lot of new content: vehicles, real empire specific weapons like the ones Doku is spitting out, more empire specific differentiation etc... but at the same time it needs a lot of money to back it up, which is hard for this game to hook up more people willing to spend money on it, it could follow the Warframe strategy, yet it won't have as much success, as Warframe is a lot more "accessible", it is a game in which even the most dumb or bad players can succeed given enough grind or money spent.
  11. Demigan

And balance changes also change the game and require money. Considering the sheer fckton of content they've thrown at us in the form of the construction system for example it is far from unimagineable that they can pull off things in the lines of extra content.

This game has plenty of content, but it needs more specific content aimed at more constructive things. For example, the construction system was a dream addition to the game. Large-scale warfare with the ability to build your own bases? If you had told people that this was possible they would have laughed at you. In fact anyone not knowing about PS2 would still laugh at you.
    But the construction system went the wrong way and became a separate part of the game, making it unconstructive and break down the game. They are now adding better integration in the game, causing better balance.
  12. Beerbeerbeer

I want to see more empire-specific stuff. More weapons, empire-specific vehicles with discernible traits, empire-specific abilities, etc. Each empire should converge more towards their underlying traits. These traits should be embraced and enhanced.

Variety is the spice of this game that keeps me coming back.

It’s fun to try everything out and more empire-specific stuff opens a wide door to that.
    • Up x 1
  13. Demigan

Allright, let's say that the devs are willing to add more variety to the game (and considering the latest weapons, they are at the very least willing but might need some guidance). What would you give the NC, the TR and the VS to make them unique from eachother without overpowering one over the other or providing a superior synergy for one faction.
  14. LodeTria

The faction replacements of every NS vehicle for starters. Can keep the guns the same in the cases of things like harasser. I guess the sunderer can remain as the AMS but we get actual battlebuses in the form of faction vehicles.

Can follow the ESF's design of
    Reaver - Damage + Burst speed
    Mossie - RoF + Middle-ground
    Sycthe - Middle-ground + Best handling/maneuverability.

Probably with less model shenanigans of one being much better or worse than the others like the current ESFs.
  15. Demigan

I would think that for starters you would have more to gain by adding more faction diversity to the NS vehicles. Remember the immense length of time the Valkyrie took to build for the game.

For example, a railgun turret for the NC. Something like the Viper-style autocannon for the TR, but aimed at more shells per magazine so its in between Viper and Vulcan (but not with thr immense "screw you" power of the latter). And for the VS perhaps a vehicular Lasher, or a beam-canon that simply creates a volume and anyone in it will receive damage in a similar but reversed fashion as a med/repairgun only without the softlock feature.

Aside from a large variety of weapons (which could incidentally be used as secondary gun models and MBT gun models as well), you could add faction-specific abilities, preferably as a secondary ability fired off with space, ctrl, x or B depending on the vehicle and other functionality of those buttons per vehicle. For example an ability that allows you to go as fast backwards as forwards for easier escapes without exposing the rear armor. Switching your shots from exploding instantly to exploding with a remote control, dealing 50% upon hit and 50% on detonation, allowing you to surprise someone who move behind cover for repairs with a bunch of extra damage. Being able to shoot through one opponent to deal damage to enemies behind it (and the one you shoot through ofcourse) etc.
  16. zaspacer

Balance and New Content both get routed through Design. So the Design staff, their focus, their hired expertise, their individual and cabal clout, and their raw time all becomes a bottleneck. This bottleneck becomes a factor in making progress in balance and new content mutually exclusive.

It *is* the case that Dev can often work on different things at once. But not when those things are relying on raw time from the same Dev department/person.

In addition, most Game Dev is done with Designers being the ones to start most development pushes. By looking at the issue and coming up with a plan, around gameplay. Then Designers are also the ones to continue to oversee and review the output of those pushes (to make sure gameplay is working). This all ties up Designer time/focus/etc.

I actually worked at a Game Dev where Art was the ones who started and drove the development pushes (because the Producer came from Art, favored art, and had no head for Design). But it ultimately led to massive problems in the game, because while the game looked pretty it was not built for gameplay, which resulted in massive problems regarding Coding (which had been directed by Art to be tailored toward art, and actually ruined computer performance for players), Art (areas being poorly playable because they were not designed for gameplay and playability; areas that killed computer performance because they focused on aesthetics but ignored compliocations of having player computer render too much at once), and Game Design (because Designers could not affect shaping the zone layouts to boost better gameplay). Many "cities" were ordered not to be populated by Designers with NPCs, because they were already creating computer performance problems. Designers were handed areas AFTER Art had finished with them, but the areas were not build for gameplay. I (a Designer) was handled a 1 km x 1 km area of rolling hills and told to create quests/npcs/etc. while being told that area had 0 art time still allocated to it and I could not make any art changes. Etc., etc. One cave dungeon had art that all looked the same, with tunnels without incline, so player would immediately get lost (we ended up having to add in special different Designer objects to each cave room just so they seemed a little different). When Designers choose mounts for the races, I chose Boars for Orcs, but then art was unhappy with the Boar model and unwilling to change it for us, so we were forced to put Orcs on horses (lame). /siderant

Bottom line. Balance and New Content both tie up Designer time. Which makes working on one, exclude working on the other. Or working on both, but with slower results (and with Design splitting their focus).
    • Up x 1
  17. chamks

-i want engineers to be able to deploy a mini jump pad!
    -and something bigger and more complex when alert starting or continent conquered, other than just a timer or colored light of death from the sky.
    -also i want the phoenix to be able to reload during the missile flight like in the bug it was.
    -and vehicle to be able to carry more than 1 defensive/utility slot, like stealth and blockade and emergency repair and gate defuse.
    -and i also want vehicles to be able to change top gun in the vehicle terminal.
    -anddddd i also want infantry to be able to change/remove the scope of their gun with out terminal, like in real life. it takes 30 sec to throw your x8 scope to your backpack and continue with stock, and not more than 30 sec to put it back.
    -and i also want max units to be able to zoom a bit with mouse wheel.
    -and how can i forget infantry to be able to carry two suit slot, like vehicles.
    -and most importantly i want the skyguard/anti air torrents to do less damage to aircraft, this is disgusting! seriously disgusting!
  18. Moz

Problem with this is balance IS very good already.

Most of the crap i see (here and Reddit) called for nerf ,is just people who don't really understand what balance is asking for x or y to be nerfed.

The only real thing i think is utterly ****y still is the air game, and NOT for the reason sky knights would think.

Balance is asymmetrical and should remain that way.
  19. Ares8

I want engineers to be able to deploy a mini jump pad!

This is an underrated feature that should be added to the game. In ps1 you had the router and teleporter device to quickly teleport through a base to a certain location. This would give engineers another use and would make fights better and more balanced without having to redesign the bases.
  20. Zak Preston

as a retuning\"new" player I can say for sure that the game needs MORE NEW PLAYERS! For now, any newcomer is literally owned in every single possible way and position, so more newbies should create a more or less fair environment for other newcomers. What a tiny nice perfect circle...