This game is supposed to be unique and it kind of isn't

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by GantryPengy380, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Konstantinn

Reminds me of this:
  2. Luke15g

3. Halo572

You Sir are wrong.

Go and download Super Monday Night Combat on Steam which is also F2P.

Do it peak mind as there are only around 150 players left worldwide.

Try to join a game queue and IF you can find one sit back and enjoy one of the worst gaming experiences you have had bar PS2.

You will be steamrolled by what are the really hardest core players left in a game that drove all the other players away and must be very close to server shut down due to low population.

It might be a bit more balanced now as they are the only ones left, but 12-18 months ago when it still had some life in it it was steam roll or be steam rolled, balanced games were rare and the matchmaking would put 3 new players on 1 team and none on the other.

If you edit to 'are the only ones in the entire gaming industry other than Uber Entertainment' then I will accept the accuracy of your posting.
    • Up x 1
  4. GantryPengy380

That's what I'm getting at here, Stalkish! There are so many things that make this game like COD and Battlefield that just make the game more generic! The Lattice system is another thing that makes the game more boring and generic, in my opinion. With the lattice system, the enemy knows where you might attack next, so they gather forces at that base to defend against your faction's forces, which can sometimes make for large, amazing fights, but the element of surprise is important to winning battles, and wth the lattice system, we just don't have that! Besides, I've only played a bit of COD Black Ops 2 with some of my friends before and never played any Battlefield games, but it's easy to find what they're like by just watching videos on YouTube. On the topic of RogueGhost's idea of replacing guns with energy axes and vehicles with dinosaurs, that WOULD be cool, but the TR/NC are supposed to have more modern weaponry while VS gets energy stuff, so it wouldn't really make sense to have TR/NC suddenly getting energy weapons like the VS currently has. And what would be a dinosaur's top speed?
  5. Gambitual

What do you want? 99% of everything nowadays is not original. Through the process of time, ideas get used up.

1. Implants were also in the 2003 title Planetside. I don't know what effect they had or when they were actually implemented, but yeah.
    2. Get over it. I like the sense of accomplishment and the small rewards these give. They also serve to help new players.
    3. Read #2.
    4. Something extremely explosive takes out everything and is by nature very deadly to tanks? WOAH WOAH, copying MGS3 and C3'ing the Shagohod's fuel containers.
    5. Warpgates do work, Sci-Fi implies the future, not ancient stuff, no promises of "ancient vehicles" were made by anyone, sorry that your expectations of Sci-Fi means things that are totally unrealistic and ill-fitting for a military MMOFPS.
    6. You would rather have some weird and pointless minigame? What else are you gonna do? Do you want to have the terminal clicked on 1000 times total by the attacking faction, during which no enemies can enter the area (like it currently is) and the clicking (e.g. capturing) players can't do anything else?
    7. Read #6.
    8. Okay guys, either remove abilities and have 1 class or have 1 class able to choose between all abilities and weapons.
    9. Find me a long range shotgun and close range LMG in real life or any other game and I will give you money. Weapons have defined roles. Guns can't be beast mode everywhere.
    10. I've heard people complain that only NS weapons look like real weapons. I've heard people say they want better and more realistic looking weapons. Everyone says that VS weapons are frozen fish. Again, Sci-Fi doesn't mean over-the-top imaginary, especially in a military MMOFPS.
    11. The last 3 are basically included in other things you said, but you try to differentiate to give your argument more weight. As such, I have touched on them. But you're right, we need medium machine guns, siege rifles, shot 'nades, and other stuff just to be original.

tl;dr This game has a good core in realism. You expect to much from Sci-Fi when the game doesn't promise that much. Get over it.
  6. void666

Individual elements are like other games yes. But overall planetside 2 is unique. How many games like ps2 are there? None.

But i wish they could've gone more crazy with weapon design. Specially VS.
    Every futuristic fps has the same weapon categories: ar, carbine, smg, shotgun, lmg, rpg. Destiny and titanfall are like this too.
  7. Degenatron

You stole my post!

[IMG]
    From "unspecified uniqueness" to "generic lattice complaint" in 1 post. Why do I even bother coming here?

You remember back two years ago, when we had no lattice all anyone ever did was avoid fights? I do.

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. GantryPengy380

Go read the first page. Then you'll understand what I'm talking about when I mention dinosaurs and energy weapons being stolen from VS.
  9. stalkish

1. Implants were togglable additions to your player, you chose 1-3 of them depending on your rank (rank actualy meant something other than gloating, crazy huh), they sat in your 'F1-12' buttons menu. These implants depended on stamina to power them, if you player was out of stamina you couldnt use them and they would turn off. So implants like surge had a large suck on your stamina, since you were sprinting, sensor shield had a large suck if you were moving, standing still it didnt drain very fast. Every implant was diff and had a diff way it function in order to balance it and if you over used it youd run out of stamina and have to walk, to regain stamina you had to stand or sit still. PS2 implants are choose 1, click to enable, powered by a battery. Not much thought has gone into this gameplay mechanic at all, hence its not original, it has no flavour of its own.
    2 & 3. Yes fine, no problem with them. Its the unoriginal way you get them, kill this many people, revive that many. Why cant we display the rewards we have, a medal section on our chests would had added flavour, or an armband for each acheivement that you pick. Thers nothing, the only reason for this is extra certs.
    4. Im not 1 for realism but 2 bricks of c4 dropped onto tanks hull would barely scorch it. But again this is only a feature because its the current flavour for FPS games, insta kill any vehicles on foot with c4. Why not have a jamming device, or control scrambler, this is the future after all. Why not have some sort of thermite grenade that melts through vehicles and detonates the ammo reserve? Instead of 'o stick c4 on it'.
    5. I dont meant they dont fit into the setting, i mean they dont function. In PS1 you cuold drive into them, thats how you changed conts, not this boring terminal. But again this is not something normal FPS players are used to so its not prioritised.
    6 & 7. No but how about using a device to hack them, or having a engi turret that you have to deloy next to the gen to sabotage it, then defend the sabotage device from defenders, instead of watching a timer tick down after holding 1 button for a few seconds.
    8. Class system is too basic, all classes move equaly fast, have equal armour (save infil). All have a recharging shield. Whats to stop the engi having armour like the max, or the medic just havng health. The infil should move quicker than the HA, theres too much similarity to even call them classes. Why cant a heavy have 2 LMGs, or an LMG and a shotgun. Why cant a max carry extra ammo for his squad, its big and heavy enough. All classes can drive, higby himself even said this wasnt going to be the case, guess it was too much effort to do.
    9. Realism =/= games. But anyhow, have you ever watched clay pigeon shooting, alot more range than these crappy up to 10m shotguns in PS2, and thats bird shot id imagine. Also Future Weapons ( a show on TV - doesnt actualy have future tech, its all current technology) showed the AA-12 shotgun, with its wealth of bullets, from bird shot to dear slug, even a grenade round that can take out an entire room from long range. Why not have stuff like this, instead of Auto shotgun, PA shotgun.
    [IMG]
    10. Not realy, carbines can be used by engi & LA, simply saying classes doesnt show this.
    These are the same types of grenades that generic FPS games have had since the dawn of gaming. Why not have something a bit diff for a change. They also have the same effects as the generic games, like the emp i mentioned, why not have them affect vehicles?
    Lock-ons are boring, this shoudnt be questioned by now tbh.

Dont get me wrong i do enjoy this game alot, its why im here, but id realy like some fresh air blown into the place, just feels a bit stale.
  10. Unsp0kn

Not Found

The requested CoD/BF4 was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Point Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    • Up x 2
  11. uhlan

An open world FPS is rare in the genre, but SOE and the devs are slowly reducing its main advantage by adding the Lattice, walls and other methods to enhance the small map capture the flag dynamic like every other FPS out there.

PS2 is being whittled down to something that resembles a simple small map lobby drop-in shooter much to the dismay of so many folks that come here for something really different.

It's no small wonder this game gets compared to COD or Battlefield by some.

Constant concern with the MLG crowd, highlighting the skills of the individual or small teams, celebrating professional video game players and YouTube personalites all contribute to this perception.

Instead of working with the world and adding depth which is what this game really needs.
    • Up x 2
  12. Gammit

I get what you're saying. What unique properties does the game have that should be polished, and what other unique features do you think could be added?
  13. khai

Nope I was against lattice then and I am still against it now. The best fights and strategy I have ever seen were pre lattice and knowing exactly where and how the enemy will advance takes some of the guesswork out and emphasizes the zerg frontal assault mentality of charge charge charge and if that doesn't work charge some more straight up the middle. People were not avoiding fights back then they were, if they were smart, avoiding slaughters and hopeless frontal assaults by flanking and hitting the enemy at the points of least resistance.
  14. Degenatron

Maybe you like ghost capping empty bases, but most people found that game play tedious and monotonous.

Maybe you liked playing whack-a mole on ghost cappers, but most people found it to be frustrating and unrewarding.

Guard duty sucks. No one wants to sit on an empty friendly base waiting for the enemy to attack.

That's why the lattice exists.

And here's a fun fact for you: The lattice is NEVER going away. Either except it and get over it, or hit the road.
    • Up x 1
  15. Nerovox

I wish that PS2 had some kind of EVE online elements as in depth and feeling of being huge, but unfortunately with the lattice system forcing huge zergs and content locking it basically feels like if BF 4 went 512/512 conquest mode which is actually more suck than the actual BF 4 64\64, but at least in BF the match is over in 15 minutes or so and even different game modes while in PS 2 the same thing goes on and on till you log out.
  16. khai

never ghost capped there was usually enough people paying attention that the new line of advance was noticed even if the zerg missed it. Whack a mole against the occasional ghost capper was also easy simply send half a squad to the adjoining base and force a fight there. And I spend much more time sitting at the next lattice base waiting for the enemy zerg to come then I ever did in the old days. In the old days you needed to be much more aggressive because you did not know where the enemy was going to next, so you sent out scouts and had more field battles.
  17. Ronin Oni

YAH!

We should have crappy shooting mechanics and boring vehicle gameplay!

Who want's tight infantry combat and fun vehicles??

And 200 player battles? pssh, like THAT'S unique. I can get that kinda experience in CoD 16 player matches!
    • Up x 1
  18. Typhoeus

It's unique in its own ways but takes good ideas from other successful shooters, sure. Nothing wrong with that. There is always room for improvement though. There's so much they could tap into with the whole sci fi theme they've got going.

I was just playing some Firefall the other day (when it launched on steam) and although I quickly got bored of it, it's gameplay was very solid and reminded me a lot of Tribes. If only they could have light assaults in this game be able to bounce around and ski like in Tribes as well as give them a disk launcher type weapon, I'd play light assault a lot more :D Right now if you use your jetpack in a firefight, you're going to lose no matter what, which is a pity. At the moment jetpacks are purely used for mobility. It'd be great if they could be used in a mix of both mobility and combat. Thing is, they already nerfed accuracy when jetpacking and removed the ability to aim down sights, so I've a feeling this aspect of the game will never see improvements. But there you have it - an idea to increase the fun factor nonetheless.
  19. Liquidrider

20. Xervous

Obviously this game needs Wii-mote support so you can derive more enjoyment from simple tasks.

Repairing maxes for example, instead of holding a button, you shake the wii-mote!