This class lacks the basic tools required to perform its advertised role.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dr. Euthanasia, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Zinn

He's correctly stating that your posts don't make you seem like an intelligent individual. Wanting to kill your teammates because you don't like some game mechanics is a bit on the silly side of things and more than a little whiny.
  2. OldMaster80

You want devs to give more love to Infiltrators. And all you will get with teamkilling is 1) your mates will think you're an a**hole 2) you'll give them plenty of reasons to believe that 3) you won't deliver your message to the developers team 4) you will ragequite, no one will remember you.
    We all want Infiltrators to change, possibly without going back to cloaking-shotguns, but you can bet it won't happen in 5 days. If you're upset you should uninstall right now and check the game later in 2013.
  3. Amarath

I think the Infiltrator is fine the way it is, just the other day at the Crown (Cert farm city) I was on the attacking side as an Infiltrator. I managed to sneak in numerous times using the rocks to recharge my cloak every so often, making my way past dozens of NC soldiers and several MAX, once I got into the tower itself, I hid around the 2/3rd level (where the anti-tank guns are) to recharge my cloak before I would make my way to one of the turrets.

there would be 2-3 engineers repairing the turret as it was constantly getting shot. I would decloak, and start unloading my Artemis into their backs. the turret would then either get blown up because It wasn't being repaired anymore, or I would hack it, kill the guy that popped out jump in and start shooting people on the ground. once the enemy started shooting the turret and almost got it near dead, I would jump out, cloak and jump over the side onto the lower level, using the numerous doors and stairs to get out of line of sight.

I died a couple times trying to get into the Crown, but once inside the only times I died is when I ran completely out of ammo and started trying to knife people, and of course the only hackable infantry terminal is right next to the parked sunderer.

If I had one thing to complain about the Infiltrator class is that they don't start with a scout rifle in addition to their sniper rifle. having to rely on your pistol till you unlock one is dumb.
  4. kingskorpio80

I would like to share my experience and thoughts as infiltrator.
    Let me first say the first thing I did was to buy an Artemis( VS scout rifle automatic ) among other things as I don't like to snipe and I have not fired a single shot with a snipe rifle in this game or others BF2142, BFBC2 , BF3.

In my experience is very hard to make infiltrator work with alternative role of close medium combat.
    Cloak is too easy to spot, try an infiltrator and cloak, and try with different graphics settings.
    Try to move ,to stay still, to crouch, and looking slightly down when crouching.
    You will see quite a difference.

Unless you have graphics on low, on medium or on high settings even when crouching still you are quit visible, seems like a person made of solid shining water but you are there and you will be easily seen. makes me wonder if devs have try it on low settings only.

To add insult to injury infiltrator is the only class that has his core ability cancelled by a simple gun attachment if you carry it, IRV scopes, no that those are really needed if you can run the game above the low settings.

So is easy to spot you and if they do and want to come out and try to win the fight while getting all head shot you have a delay before you can shoot, couple that with inferior shield and health and is extremely difficult to win not impossible though. depends on the class spotting you as well.

Add to that that the Artemis does as much damage as a pistol, form tool tips anyway , has less accuracy so it recoils vertically to compensate you have to burst shoot, just repeatedly click like you would with a pistol. to counter that you might think of compensator and not silencer to be invisible at least on the map as logical for an infiltrator but I don't really want to appear on map to double the range.

infiltrating a base is risky and you can't do much apart hacking consoles, bugs me that as a saboteur I don't get C4 explosive, while everyone else, even the combat medic has the option.

So to conclude, in my opinion as a close quarter if you can call it that, infiltrator, I think on par shield and health would be best therefore delay when de cloacking can stay untouched or be tweaked as needed , so you can provide at least a fair chance if they notice you. cloak must do a better job , having the almost invisibility you have now on low at high would be ideal.

IRV i don't consider a big problem but at least out of fairness they should not be able to see cloaked inf.

And C4 ,i think at least in my mind my main role would be to prepare an invasion, i can hack turrets(btw all protected spawn should be a one way out so you can't grehack terminal then go back to swap to some other class) but i cannot destroy generators.
  5. Dr. Euthanasia

If the class was fine, you wouldn't have been forced to ignore the deployed Sunderer on the first floor.

Also, I find that in the midst of massive zergs, the odds of our inferior cloak being overlooked skyrocket to the point where it almost seems like we really are 100% invisible. It still sounds like you did a great job with the limited equipment available to you, but that doesn't mean we have everything we need, nor does it mean that everything we do have is currently powerful enough.
  6. Xiphos

What Dr. Euthanasia said. Also, the Crown is one of the easiest bases to infiltrate because there are many different ways up and lots of cover. This is not to diminish the accomlishment but just to point out that other bases are generally harder.

A LA would have probably been able to do the same job in less time but have the opportunity for C4 as well.
  7. Amarath

a LA would have died before getting to plant C4, the amount of people I avoided was absurd. but it sounds to me what you guys are asking for is a Jack of all trades class that can handle anything + stealth. you'd have scout rifles for close/medium range, sniper rifles for long range, C4 for vehicles, proximity for infantry, hacking for terminals/turrets. If they gave Infiltrators C4, why would you ever play Engineer except to repair stuff? if you have a scout rifle + C4 with a decent cloak, why would you take a LA with a Jetpack when you could be a Infiltrator that could turn invisible and walk past the enemy? the point is you cant have everything, If they improve the cloak and give Infiltrator Anti-vehicle options, then they have to take away something.

Honestly, the only Anti-vehicle option we should have is the ability to highjack enemy vehicles, hell even if it was only on the empty ones, there isn't a person inside the base Sunderers half the time.
  8. Skeith

oh dear,here comes another one....

the cloak in the open is somewhat mediocre,and dont get noticed when there is a big zerg in the crown is nothing special really,i do it all the time.

no we are not jack of all trades,never we would be even with C4,the infiltrator SUCKS at close quarters,he sucks plain and simple,because the cloak is terrible at that range,let alone when you move with it,and not to mention that if we get caught with the cloak on we are dead.

the scout rifles are the worst LMGs in the game,they do their work but they are the worst,ammo mag,recoil and damage wise.

why would i played engineer?mh let's see,MANA turrets?,Anti tank mines?,booby traps?,better LMGs?

for your info the MEDIC in this game can use C4,the MEDIC,a support unit,while a saboteur,an unit who is supposed to cause disruption, cant use it,does this makes sense to you?

the LA it's hit and run class,he can go to places we cant reach,and it's much better equipped for causing disruption than us,having a better cloak would not give me the shortcuts that the LA can get.

the fact that you shot 2 guys at the crown while they where distracted doesnt prove that the class is fine

seriously try to sneak inside a bio lab or a tech plant,then come back here.

that's not meant to be an offensive post,i just suggest you play more of the class before you come to conclusions.
  9. Amarath

tl,dr wall of text crits you for 10 billion damage.

I have been in biolabs and techplants as a infiltrator. Techplants can be alot harder what with the one entrance if the shields are up, but if they got people on the catwalks watching the shields, a LA isnt going to get in either. that is why they changed Techplants because short of a gatecrasher sunderbus there was no way in.

Biolabs are a LA's playground, with tons of territory only they can get to, also there is nothing to really hack in the upper areas of a biolab other then the air terminals that are destroyed 100% of the time, so generally if your in a biolab you should be something other then an infiltrator.

the reason why I like amp stations and towers as an infiltrator is there are alot more ways to get in, and once inside, more paths and turns where you can lose people that are chasing you, which when your cloaked and more or a less a hard to see blur, they have to constantly think "did he go left? or did he go right? did he jump down there? or did he go this way?" the cloak makes it so they cant use Spot on you, and you don't have a triangle over your head, also if you crouch + stand still, the stealth improves significantly, crouched and not moving, I have had full squads walk right past me in the open at close/medium ranges, also if there is a nearby bush, hiding in that even without the cloak (especially vanu and at night) is hilarious. but also because there is tons of things to hack, lots of turrets, and of course all the stations in the base and at the nearby outposts.

The comparison segment.

Its not fair to compare a Scout Rifle to a LMG, they are supposed to be entirely different things, and be effective in different situations. also the only class better at close range other then a heavy is whoever has the better skill or the bigger clip size, everyone dies the same when you shoot them in the head, but failing that usually, yeah we are on the short end of the stick, but that doesn't mean we cant do it.

Engineers are constantly whining about their MANA turrets, and I agree with them, they are borderline worthless, so I doubt your playing a engineer just for that, tank mines are great, but C4 does the same thing more or less, also we get Proximity mines too. If I had one thing to complain about when comparing to other classes would be the Infiltrator's Grenade options, I have never seen anyone use a Decoy or EMP grenade.

LA aren't really hit and run, they just have access to more areas, the jump packs don't exactly help them move faster, just in different directions. if anything Id say they have the Ambush advantage, where you think "this spots safe, the only class that could get up there and see me is..." then you get shot, unless your referencing the cert that actually gives them a movement speed increase, which I have, and I barely notice a difference.

also on the case of medics, they are technically classified as "Combat Medics" so I don't see why they couldn't use C4, however the fact they are the only class that uses Assault rifles (when neither of the "Assault" classes can) is pretty silly. on another silly note all the Vanu assault rifles (other then the new one that just came out, the Corvus) have exactly the same damage.

The way I see it.

if we did have C4, we would be a jack of all trades, we would have an answer to everything in the game except air. squads of infiltrators sneaking into the enemy base would blow up sunderers and take it over from the inside if they had C4. your suppose to be part of the solution, not the entire solution. by hacking terminals and turrets, picking people off and being a distraction, you pull people away from your buddies outside so they can push up, if you and a couple other infiltrators do this, you will become a problem that the enemy has to deal with, regardless if they have a sunderer or not.

The Example

Example: you sneak into the base and you kill a bunch of people and hack an anti-tank turret, you then start shooting their infantry and MAXs outside the base in the back with said turret, killing several more, you keep doing this until do they send people to deal with you. afterwards you either die and do it again, or escape and keep distracting them by either hacking another turret or simply getting them to chase you around. The only two hard parts of this is 1. Entry, and 2. Not getting blown up by friendly fire when your hacking the turret.

now for the sake of argument lets say they completely ignore you and your other infiltrator friends, well now they got enemies in their base turrets, and if they go from out under the tower, they get blown up. so they cant push out and kill your sunderer that your friends are respawning from.

now here is the other side of the coin, those people you killed? they are gona respawn at the sunderer, almost nobody will respawn in the spawn room if there is a sunderer deployed, simply because it is faster.

If am one of the guys outside and I see this going on, you know what I would do? Start throwing grenades or shooting my HE tank rounds or whatever other explosives I can get my hands on at/near the sunderer, catching as many of those guys as I can that just respawned in the blast radius before they can do anything. even if the Sunderer somehow lives, you now have an advantage you can exploit. your teammates who have the equipment to take out the sunderer do so, and huzzah, victory.

please note that the "example" is based on actual events that has happened several times, and at several locations (mainly single capture point tower zones)

Now for the reason why I think Infiltrator is fine is this. This is a TEAM game, there are no heroes here, though you might pull off something amazing every now and then, working with other people in a coordinated manner is what will win the day.
    The main problem most people that I have encountered have is they want a "One man Solution" to everything, they want to be able to down an aircraft/capture a base by themselves or whatever.

The main points of Infiltrators. 1. Snipers, 2. taking control of base assets that belong to the enemy (Infiltration). the only thing I hate about the Infiltrator is to do the job that we are described as we have to either use a pistol or purchase a scout rifle, we should start with a scout rifle + a sniper rifle, its like being a HA for the first time and not having a rocket launcher.

Every class has a use, the Infiltrators is just more situational, granted it could be more useful, but like any class it takes more then one to get a job done, also if you think another class could do the same thing your planning on doing with your infiltrator, but better, then switch! its not like your locked in, or that only Infiltrator XP counts towards Infiltrator certs (Don't even think about it SOE) Imagine if the character you made couldn't switch classes? that would be a nightmare.

A Single HA isnt going to kill a tank/aircraft alone unless the driver doesn't have half a brain.
    A Single Medic can revive other people, but he cant revive himself.
    A Single LA isnt going to jump that shield/cliff and blow up that sunderer on his own (two charges doesn't cut it)
    A Single Engineer isn't going to repair this entire base on his own before the enemy counterattacks, let alone a turret where the enemy already is, it takes too long.
    A Single MAX isnt going to charge through the door alone, even with his armor he'll get shredded by himself.
    and A Single infiltrator shouldn't be by himself going into an enemy base. even if you have to infiltrate one at a time, there are places you can hide inside bases to regroup.

and its not just about working with people that are also your class, but multiples of all the different classes working together. don't have any friends that play Plantside2? make some new ones, MMOs aren't suppose to be played by yourself.

There is only one thing that I would ever ask for Infiltrators, and that is vehicle hacking, if a Tank is Empty/sitting still for that long, or a sunderer is that unguarded/empty for that long, it deserves to be lost, and even though I am Vanu I admit a Black/Red Magrider jacked by a TR would look really sweet.

I suggest you don't come to conclusions about what/how long I have been playing of anything.
  10. Skeith

i dont really know why you guys translate what are we proposing for the class,with

OMFG INF WOULD BE OP,JACK OF ALL THE TRADES, THIS IS A TEAM GAME OMGGGGGGGGGG

i alredy explained to you why the C4 would not make the class a "jack of all trades",btw sayng that the combat medic should have C4 because it's "combat",so wait he can heal himself he can heal allies,revive them,kill enemy infantry and kill enemy vehicles,isnt his what you call a jack of all trade?

but here we go again,ill try to be more detailed this time

we are not infantry killers if we are not equipped with the sniper rifles,you need to unload a full clip on an heavy to kill him,let alone killing tons of people,

Mana turrets have an utility they are used in choke points,that where they shine,using those in the open it's just silly,the fact that engineers need more stuff back from ps1 it's another story.

we are not sneaky,at all,the cloak only works in the open,and not even there since tanks and aircrafts are running in the open with IRVN optics.

the cloak it's visible as the sunshine when you move,the only real way to make it effective is to stay crouched,but if you want to infiltrate you have to move,but since it lasts only 12 seconds,you cant even time your movements right,let alone the very distinct deacloak sound wich alerts anyone near you about your presence.

about the comparison between the scout rifles and the LMG,you cant really explain that they fit different roles,they are both used to kill stuff at close mid range,but i see your point,the scout rifles should be used to kill an unware target,and i can understand that,but right now unless someone is HEAVILY distracted or afk you cannot sneak behind them,you just cant,the cloak ***** the infiltrator heavily

we have no way to deal with vehicles,literally 0,and this could be justified if we did "good" in the other roles,but i alredy explained to you why we dont do.

what's the point of an infiltrator if he cannot even dream about infiltration?

i cant care less about being an infantry killing machine,it wasnt the job of the infiltrator in planetside 1,and it will not be in planetside 2,we are saboteurs,we sneak inside the enemy lines to cause damage,we are supposed to be weak but with the tools to hide ourselves from danger.

but right now our team role,wich should be providing assistance to our team by disrupting the enemy defences is impossible or very very hard to accomplish,not to mention that is not even rewarding,considering how poorly the hack thing was developed

Sniping is fine,really it's amazing,my only issue with it,it's that i find weird that a trained soldier can only hold his breath for 2 seconds.

if you want a more solid proof of what im talking about go to watch some tournament or competitive play,the infiltrator has 0 and by 0 i mean 0,usage,he is not used at all,because he is a completely worthless addition to the team,unless you count that" we got the base let's take inf hack a terminal spawn a sunderer and change back to my previous class" as "team play".
  11. MDK2k

I somewhat agree with the first post, but feel it's a bit exaggerated. I can do a decent job at sneaking around with a semiauto HSR-1, the terran pistol and 2 claymores. I can kill enemies from medium and short distances and for every 10 claymores I place around 4 kill an enemy.

However with the starting gear it's rather hard to play that way and even more so with other factions that don't have a good pistol like the terran do. It's really weird that infiltrators are given a long range sniper rifle in the begining while the rest of our equipment and abilities are ment for close range. Infiltrators don't have any skill or ability that is useable while sniping from a far away hill other than cloaking from other enemy snipers. This needs to change if they expect us to do both sniping and infiltrating. My idea would be to maybe remove spotting from other classes and only give it to LA and infiltrators or atleast make spotting more powerfull for these classes. Both of these classes kinda suffer from the same issue of not always having any meaningful role on the battlefield. This also means less XP for both of the classes. With infiltrators they could adjust spotting so that with scopes the target markers last longer or even highlight that enemy to other players on screen. There are many ways they could make changes that improves both closeup infiltrator and high distance sniping roles without making the class too overpowered.
  12. HalfFroMan

Just give me mines like the NC instead of claymores.

I can make use of myself in most assaults, although it is not as direct as a Medic or a Engineer.
  13. TexasCarbine

This palpable amount of ignorance to the Infiltrator's plight is disturbing.

People don't fear infiltrators, they fear snipers, which range was NEVER suppose to be an infiltrator's strong point. In PS1, Infiltrators were masters of unconventional warfare, able to ambush small security teams, drop base defenses and cripple infrastructure BUT despite all of this, they were the single weakest combat class in the game. Infiltrators died incredibly easily, and almost never had a chance against enemies in open battle. Darklight was a cancer in PS1 that spelled immediate doom for any "Grey Fox's" out there (comparable to the IRNV or Thermal scopes, except EVERYONE could have it).

But despite all the challenge, all the weaknesses of the class, people still played it, and they thrived. You had to have balls to be a good infiltrator, because it wasn't just running around with a cloaked handgun executing people, it was the cat-and-mouse games in fully-occupied bases that meant the difference between a breakthrough in the siege or utter defeat.

We can all agree that Engineers need their PS1 tools back, as that class is a frigging joke compared to what it use to be (popcorn firebases, anyone?)

Any other classes besides the Engineers and Infiltrators shouldn't have C4. Period. It's out of their job description. LA's got the nades, HA's got the dakka and rockets, and Meddicks got the drugs.

Class dismissed.
    • Up x 2
  14. dkt_

Couldn't agree more with the original poster. I think as a "sniping" class, it can't really get much better for sniping, however, how effective is sniping? Half the time, I'm near the outskirts of the base sniping people who are dumb enough to expose themselves, the problem? So are 10 other snipers. If I want to truly help the platoon, I would have to actually infiltrate the base, but like the OP said the only real thing I can do is hack turrets and terminals, but I have to stand exposed to do so. The scout rifle is garbage, period. I'm not saying it has to be OP, but at least increase the damage 1-3% and give it at least 30 rounds. I can't take down shields, go through shields, or do I have any advantage on generators or SMUs
  15. aR2k

Summarized the issues, quick and simple.

1. Cloaking is not good enough, any decent player with 8 hours sleep and not under the influence can spot a cloaked inf 9 times out of 10. The only class ability that gets countered by an attachment (IRNV), thats a load of bs.

2. I see allot of people cry for CQB upgrades, the artemis is horrible unless you decloak behind your enemy and land a few good headshots. The fact is that in any head to head engagement we will die, judging by odds anyways.
    Lower health/shields, worse weapons than any other class. And if you get caught stealthed, (as you very often will), you are dead.

3. Hacking, an extremely good concept that just hasnt been implemeted well enough, there is simply not that much to do with hacking. Vehicle hacking or other things would make it actually useful. (especially since most idiots seem to destroy every terminal they can find).

4. Its hard to do infiltration with the current cloak, and even when we do..... there is not that much we can do to really infiltrate. (see above points)

5. Draw distance kill Snipers. With the current draw distance, i swear to god that in a huge battle, you have to get so close to the action that an LMG would be more effective at that particular range. Whats the point of having a 10/12x scope when you have to get into 100m to actually render in the enemy, this is great for everyone else, but it kills the sniper.

6. Long range weapons. Ok, so sniping is fun and all that, and dont get me wrong, i dont have much problem going for hundreds of kills on a huge amp station attack. But the fact is that in this game, jerky player movement, awkward player movement and lag, makes long range sniping very hard. I would rate Planetside 2 as one of the hardest games to play a recon/sniper/infil.
    There seems to be allmost no way to perfect the art of shooting a running target, simply because of how this game plays.

So, all in all.
    At close range we are the worst, by MILES.
    At long range we are the best, except that long ranges arent really long, they get rendered out to LMG distances, so we dont really shine here either.
    Jerky player movement and lag doesnt help.
    The cloak is not good enough, its sub par compared to other class abilities (like the HA's shield for its designed purpose).

I'm not gonna stop playing the infiltrator, even tho it seems SOE wants me to.
  16. StarWarsGalaxies

They should replace cloak with something else entirely, since the developers are clearly incapable of pulling it off correctly.

Last I checked, most Infiltrators set up in a good sniping position - sniping being the only thing it can actually do right now. The problem with this....is that any old aircraft with Thermal Vision and Rocket Pods will instantly kill you.

I do a pretty good job sniping...but this is getting old, fast.
  17. TexasCarbine

More or less, but I'd rather giver snipers to the LA's with their JP's removed / reduced. If this game is your only experience playing as the "infiltrator" class, then you haven't even started. It was hard in the previous game, but damn was it rewarding.
  18. Dr. Euthanasia

Amarath, I'm going to ignore the fact that you TL;DR'ed a post and then wrote a response more than double its size, and just bring up this:

How is this a valid counter-argument for why Infiltrators shouldn't have C4? Did anyone say that we should be able to carry three or more bricks of it? You might run the game on low settings and have the mistaken impression that Infiltrators are some kind of crazy corner-of-the-eye shadow people, but seriously, we're not. The advantage of vertical movement surpasses the advantage of our existing mobile stealth every single time for the purposes of getting anywhere we want to go. If we get lucky enough to make it there, we can hide at ground level better than a LA, but you know, only for 12 seconds.

Your whole complaint about how giving Infiltrators the tools they need would make them jacks of all trades doesn't make sense. There is no such thing as an Infiltrator who can both snipe and perform well in CQC. If Stalker Camouflage ever gets introduced, there will be no such thing as an Infiltrator who can effectively stealth and snipe or perform well in CQC. If C4 is introduced, there will be no such thing as an Infiltrator who can perform area control and destroy vehicles. All these properties will depend completely on that Infiltrator's loadout, and each one of them will have clear drawbacks that can be exploited by opposing factions.
  19. Skeith

I can only suggest to all those guys that think that the inf is good right now,to try him on ps1 trust him it will open your eyes
  20. TokyoShoe

I want a dart gun that does to tanks what concussion grenades do to people.