This class lacks the basic tools required to perform its advertised role.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Dr. Euthanasia, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Pachins

No reason you should be complaining about this situation. Choke points are choke points for a reason but I have made it through them many times as soon as we have a little push inside. Then snipe the LA off the rocks ftw.

In no way is a LA better or worse at a choke point location. This is w here your heavies and Max shine. Heal/repair and push your way in. Use the infil and LA to move inside the base and cause distractions in the rear to pull off the defending force from that choke point.
  2. Xiphos

Thanks for the tips bro!
  3. Stanis

Funnily enough, I do believe I saw a lot more Infiltrators doing that when they had a shotgun.
    Something that truly rewarded the risk for getting that close and personal.

I understand the player upset at a decloaking shotgun to the head : but in the grand scale of combat there are counters to cloaks (IR/NV) and the trade for infiltrator was absolutely no ability to threaten at range above 10m.

Infiltrators are toothless and lack metagame impact.
    If we had actual targets to hack - faster hack times on generator overloads? Active hacking for base-point capture.
    Enemy vehicles and sunderers
    Force fields and shields where doors should be.

The PS1 model of everyone can hack a door, Adv. Hacking let you do much more, faster needs to be added to the metagame.
    I expect it will be, just never soon enough.
  4. Xiphos

I also think with shotguns we would be seeing more infiltrators doing this, but I also think shotguns would be a bandaid that does not address the problem of the infiltration aspect being only half finished.

I'm not even sure if I want shotguns on infiltrators because they don't fit thematically. Slightly better scout rifles or perhaps a SMG would be welcome. These can be silenced which is important.

The question of what to do once in the base remains. There isn't enough stuff to hack and the lack of C4 precludes blowing up tanks, sunderers or groups of enemies. There should be a new hackable and indestructible object different from terminals and turrets that is a worthwhile goal for an infiltrator wishing to help his team asault a base. The cloak is also often not good enough to move undetected through a base with high enemy presence.
  5. Dr. Euthanasia

So Pachins' idea of proper infiltration is to take avoiding your enemy to its logical extreme by visiting empty bases which aren't even available for capture yet, just to hack a couple terminals and turrets and then blow up the generator and SCU. That actually sounds pretty great until you think about it and realize that any other class, not the least of which is yet again the Light Assault, could do all of this by himself with a squad beacon, except for hacking the turrets and terminals which will once again never be necessary because the former will be destroyed by allied tanks within the first few minutes of an assault and the latter can be denied to the enemy just as easily by blowing them up - in theory, at least, but because the Infiltrator is such a useless and unpopular class, you probably will see more engineers capable of repairing a terminal than Infiltrators available to un-hack it. Too bad they can just switch to one using the unreachable terminals inside the spawning room, huh?

You're deluded if you think hacking provides a legitimate, reliable advantage to anyone aside from yourself and whatever small number of people might be actually coordinating something with you. The ability to spawn sunderers from enemy-owned territories is novel, but it in no way encourages you to remain as an Infiltrator after the fact, and unless you arrived from a Galaxy, you probably could have just drove one over for all your trouble. Everything important in a base is hack-proof, with the one possible exception being the vehicle terminals in Tech Plants which will be repaired or un-hacked mere seconds after you visit them unless your team already controls the first floor.
    • Up x 2
  6. Pachins

Correct me if I am wrong but the facilities where the spawn is located inside is a 1 way ticket so if they come out they are stuck without redeploying. In that case there is no need for me to gain access to this location because by the time they come out it is to late to change their class.

Dr. you will have more fun with the class if you stop wishing they were something else. If you do not like what they are go play an LA as you said and do exactly what you think they do better then the Infil. Feel free to join Waterson and I will shoot you in the face multiple times until you rage quit.

Every little bit helps even if it is only several minutes of holding their vehicle spawns or progressing your zerg a little faster.
  7. Xiphos

None of them are a one way ticket (actually one base is I think). Besides, 10 sec of redeployment isn't exactly a big obstacle. Hacking terminals doesn't hinder the enemy much, if at all. The last time I hacked some terminals to prevent more tanks from being spawned, a tank driver just destroyed the hacked terminals and repaired them back up (because he was obviously an engineer). I spent 2 minutes sneaking into the base and waiting for the right moment, taking a large risk of being discovered while hacking and then it turned out to be completely pointless. I had hindered my own team more than the enemy team by wasting these two minutes.
    • Up x 1
  8. Dr. Euthanasia

Yes, well, shooting me in the face multiple times would be necessary given the state of our weapons. Of course, all I'd have to do is hop into a vehicle to become completely untouchable, so I can't say your threat is especially intimidating.

I'm not going to apologize for wishing my preferred class was actually useful, much less to you of all people.
  9. Pachins

Your argument is pointless. I can say that killing an enemy does not hinder them since they can just respawn or be rezzed by a medic. It actually takes them longer to redeploy hack/repair then change class again. So in actuality my hacking wasted more time then you killing them.

The idea here is wasting their time so that your team can take advantage of their lack of prep for your arrival. See yourself as the first wave who goes in to weaken the enemy and not the wave that comes in and wipes them out.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pachins

That's if a vehicle spawner is available and if so I would just hack it and shoot you with my tank. Game Pachins.
  11. Xiphos

I want more than that. Anybody can weaken an undefended base. I want an infiltrator that can arrive mid fight and be useful as something other than a sniper.
  12. Xiphos

Not a good choice in that situation. You see, this was actually a well defended base that had multiple tanks just outside the spawn room.
  13. Pachins

And you didn't know I brought capt. Planet with me. Your whole team is burned alive inside their tanks. Want to add more to this situation because I can always leverage Godzilla next if you would like.
  14. Banick

Infiltrators in beta with shotguns was OP.

Cloak, walk up to group behind then, shoot, profit. It was OP, and it was removed. A talented Infiltrator can still effectively do this with a few shots of the pistol and a follow up knife.

I would venture a love of SMG's in place of a SR, providing they are low hitting high ROF, close range effect only.

But elsewhere in this post, I agree that Infiltrators are limited to sniping without an arsenal of abilities that could provide useful to cause disarray and harass an enemy.

I would love to see the ability to 'hack' tanks and sunderers. Not flip them in a sense like a terminal, but hacking a tank would cause their vision to turn static - essentially disabling vision and the tanks effectiveness, requiring a friendly infiltrator to resolve.

Hack a sunderer, and it can no longer be used as a spawn point, but it takes up the radius spawn point. Giving your team time to recoup defense or push an attack, and causing the enemy to either remove the sundy, resolve with a friendly hacker or destroy it in lieu of the driver moving.
    • Up x 1
  15. Pachins

They are called every other class. Go play them if you want to run in the middle of a fight.
    • Up x 1
  16. Xiphos

Oh. Looks like we are finally agreeing. I have already been changing my class to something other than infiltrator when I'm serious about assaulting a base.

Unlike you I don't enjoy infiltrating empty bases though, so here I am, posting.
  17. Dr. Euthanasia

I think this might actually be the first time I've seen someone arguing for the weakness of their own class. What sagelike advice are you going to impart upon us next? "Go out of your way to avoid shooting others in a first-person shooter" is pretty great, but I think you can do better.
  18. BeachedHead

Pachins please.
    Did you read what he wrote? He wrote that any other class can weaken an UNDEFENDED base. Could you please stop trolling or leave the thread? I'm sure somewhere inside you have an urge to be taken seriously and actually debating instead of cherrypicking quotes you don't get close to actually reply to, but unstead flaunt your sup3ri0r sn34k1n3ss..
    To sum it up for you AGAIN: The infiltrator has one single ability to allow him to infiltrate, and this is the cloak.
    1: The cloak, however is useless, seeing as anyone can see you move cloaked. Also, everyone hear you cloak and decloak, and can come kill you.
    2: Yes the infiltrator can snipe, but that hardly has anything to do with infiltrating. Also, a HA with a scoped gun is usually just better when the battle begins and 200m is the max visibility anyhow. You need several hundred meters before the infiltrator-only rifles gives any advantage.

For these two perks we pay with having the worst health and shield of any class. For a cloak that is useless, and a gun that's only good at ranges often outside the visibility range. To everyone but yourself, this is an uneven payoff. Sure, ig you upgrade and only want to snipe, it's probably fine.

Also, no one cares that you have hacked a terminal in an empty base, just in case you hadn't noticed yet.

Bottomline:
    Is it really so difficult to understand that having a useless cloak is a bad trade-off for zero health and shields and no usable indoor weapons for a class that is supposed to sneak into an enemy base? (Could you answer that please?) Especially when there is little payoff for actually doing so?
  19. Pachins

I try to point out the flaws in your argument by sitting on the other side of the fence and the only responses you have are to throw names at me. My only agenda is to enjoy the game and toss out what I think is working for me. Not going to read your qq rant.
  20. Pachins

Pretty sure I didn't say to go completely out of my way to avoid a fight. I play strategically so that means not running face first into battle. I assume your experience as an infil is horrible because of this.
    • Up x 1