This class can be quite infuriating to play...

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by gunfox, Dec 3, 2012.

1. gunfox

because of all the bugs we have to deal with on a daily basis. This class is completely unreliable, to a point where I don't even want to play it in a good platoon, although i spent nearly all my certs into it. I will just count up some of the bugs I encounter all the time:

- Our jetpack can randomly stop working. Only a relog will fix this. Have fun on a server with a queue.

- Additionally, the jetpack often eats up fuel without giving us any upwards thrust at all. This happens a lot when trying to climb up steep slopes. Enjoy falling to your death.

- In bases, you will oftentimes just fly against invisible walls when trying to climb your way up. It's like they were designed without LA in mind.

- The grenade launcher can be a powerful tool, but it will more often than not explode but do zero damage, even when directly hitting an enemy or the ground he stands on. This must be fixed asap, because nothing is more frustrating than somehow getting above the enemy zerg, just to see your tools not working again.

- It's not quite clear if you're supposed to get launcher grenades from an engineer or not, both happens equally often.

- After using the underslung smoke-/grenade launcher or shotgun, the sights of your normal weapon will uncontrollably waggle all over the place when moving while aimed down. It's not possible anymore to reliably shoot anything.

- Sometimes after getting new ammo at a terminal / sunderer, you will see the grenade launcher crosshair when switching to it, but will shoot normal bullets. Very fun when you just managed to get behind the enemy zerg.

- Sometimes your C4 will fall through enemy tanks. Also, you can't really see if you hit the tank with it or not, which will oftentimes make you blow up the ground behind it.

- Also, when throwing C4 down walls, you can't be sure if it will fall down or just drop on the ground before you. No one can tell, as it is completely random and not controllable, and will oftentimes render your position useles.

I won't even mention the general balancing issues (like HAs eating us alive), just some of the bugs I regularly (nearly every session) encounter. As said above, the class is not reliable enough when people count on you, rendering it completely useless in organized platoons. LAs will oftentimes completely screw up their job without even making an error themselves.
    • Up x 1
  2. Nuubo

More than half of your points are not even LA class specific, so I dont quite see the "this CLASS is completely unreliable".....
  3. gunfox

The underslung grenade launcher is only available to the engineer and the light assault. The Engineer is not as weapon dependant as the LA and will, at most times, not even use the launcher. Also LA is the only class that heavily relies on C4, it's like a core part of the class. Again, most other classes that can buy it won't use it much. So yes, it's pretty much class specific.
  4. Nuubo

And Medic....

This is just wrong. Engineer is the one class that can use the Grenade Launcher the most, cuz he can resupply its own ammo (when it works). Also, Medics use Smoke Launchers to make a quick run to a corpse and ress.
  5. Corway

You made a few valid bug based complaints and then you dropped this gem.

There are flaws with the game and over all stability it's not so much a failure of the class. Seeing as I use it to a pretty high level of success. It is a bit flat but not bad. Also the above quoted section is quite silly as that is not a balance issue that is working as intended.
  6. gunfox

One class eating every other class is not what I call balance personally, but that's ok. Debatable. Not the point of the thread at all, it's about the bugs.
    Also what the hell is wrong with you people? These are all valid bugs that affect the LA heavily. I personally don't care about semantics, or if the medic can equip it too.
    • Up x 1
  7. Corway

HA chews up infantry as it was built to do. LA should use high mobility to flank.

Hence working as intended.
  8. Minsc

I hate when this happens, it seems to have something to do with dying with another classes F ability active.

This happens when your feet touch the ground again after using the jetpack. It shuts off, but fuel continues to drain.

I have only noticed this in one place in amp stations. Besides that, they've done a great job of having ledges for us to land on.

It can also do no damage to the enemy while damaging you! Nothing like hitting them with a nade only to kill yourself while they walk away unscathed.

If we are, it could be considered OP. If not, it wouldn't be as useful. The mix kinda helps keep it useful without becoming OP.

If you get the drop on HA, especially with a shotgun, you can kill them rather easily. If you don't have the drop, you will die almost every time to almost everything.

The jetpack bugs need to be fixed ASAP. Everyone please report the jetpack bugs whenever you encounter them. Feet hit the ground but still losing fuel: report it. Can't use the jet pack: really report it!
    • Up x 1
  9. SixVoltSamurai

This particular point can be countermanded by logic. If you run at an HA or take him on his terms, then yes, your chances of survival are very low. IF, however you by chance utilize the ability to surprise your enemy, yet still get eaten alive by HA's.. that's not a dysfunction of the class, there's a user error in there. I eat HA's for breakfast when I can use terrain and high ground and suprise to my advantage. Open field, well.. the HA is much more likely to win. This is balance.
  10. Ronin Oni

LA is my best kit hands down.... bugs aside.

Combat wise, they don't need anything. Eaten alive by HA's? lolol stop running straight at them.

Dat jetpack bug though >.<
    • Up x 1
  11. Achmed20

sorry but last time i checked (which is pretty much allways), nades for the launcher wont be refilled by engie ammo packs.
    so "no", you cant have a nade spamming engie ^^
  12. Yosarian

- Our jetpack can randomly stop working. Only a relog will fix this. Have fun on a server with a queue.

^^^ My worst bug...had to reload client 6 times last Saturday...game ruining for LA users. I submitted this almost every day the last 2 months of beta, and at least once a week since launch. I gave up and started bugging the Devs on twitter since they didn't seem to be getting the message. Lol they just told me to /submit it...riiight....

- Additionally, the jetpack often eats up fuel without giving us any upwards thrust at all. This happens a lot when trying to climb up steep slopes. Enjoy falling to your death.

^ this one is more an inconvenience really, but still annoying when trying to get up the side of one of those "top of the hill" bases

- In bases, you will oftentimes just fly against invisible walls when trying to climb your way up. It's like they were designed without LA in mind.

^ Haven't seen this much TBH... though I have seen quite a few terrain errors that are a pain (hills that look climbable w jets but aren't)

- The grenade launcher can be a powerful tool, but it will more often than not explode but do zero damage, even when directly hitting an enemy or the ground he stands on. This must be fixed asap, because nothing is more frustrating than somehow getting above the enemy zerg, just to see your tools not working again.

^ Glad to know it's not just me, I get tired of people telling me "maybe you just suck at aiming" when my K/D DESPITE LA's issues is .79 atm

- It's not quite clear if you're supposed to get launcher grenades from an engineer or not, both happens equally often.

^ You are and you do, the ammo packs are screwy for all classes, gotta kinda run back 'n forth over them but as of yesterday I can confirm they give you more underbarrel nades

- After using the underslung smoke-/grenade launcher or shotgun, the sights of your normal weapon will uncontrollably waggle all over the place when moving while aimed down. It's not possible anymore to reliably shoot anything.

^ This I chalked up to my own user error but if this is true then I'm a better shot than I realized :)

- Sometimes after getting new ammo at a terminal / sunderer, you will see the grenade launcher crosshair when switching to it, but will shoot normal bullets. Very fun when you just managed to get behind the enemy zerg.

^ I've yet to see this

- Sometimes your C4 will fall through enemy tanks. Also, you can't really see if you hit the tank with it or not, which will oftentimes make you blow up the ground behind it.

^ To be fair, this might be lag/ lag switchers, if they lag you'll see the tank as being here (x) when really it's a few feet ahead... still BS but perhaps not that hard to fix

- Also, when throwing C4 down walls, you can't be sure if it will fall down or just drop on the ground before you. No one can tell, as it is completely random and not controllable, and will oftentimes render your position useles.

^ Just be happy the regular grenades stopped throwing like dodgeballs lol no kidding...the C4 drop mechanic should be much faster and much more accurate, but it's easily fixable

I won't even mention the general balancing issues (like HAs eating us alive), just some of the bugs I regularly (nearly every session) encounter. As said above, the class is not reliable enough when people count on you, rendering it completely useless in organized platoons. LAs will oftentimes completely screw up their job without even making an error themselves.

^ The only thing I would compare us too balancing wise is the LA's of other factions, comparing us to heavy is apples 'n oranges bro...heavys rock, but are easily dealt with by flying over their heads
  13. Caracal

do not immediately press forward while climbing a cliff. Your jump jets will turn off when your feet hit the ground. so, give it a second, this way your feet are off the cliff, then press forward.
  14. Yosarian

Just had to reload client again for jump jet bug, 12/3 after patch it's still broken. soooo...yeah cmon devs this is a game killed for an entire class, it's like one of the ESF's just "not working"
  15. Brewery

Honestly haven't had my jet packs bug out since beta. Guess I'm just lucky...
  16. chaoswurm

Every legitimate person in beta knew it was too early to release this game. I bet the Sony higher-ups were pushing for the release. But, unlike single release games like CoD, or Battlefield, or Assassin's Creed, or Bioshock; this game is a continuous game, much like WoW, League of Legends Guild Wars, ...Gaia Online.... where money doesn't only come from the initial sale and release. It's target money is during and future transactions. So, as long as the game is 90-95% playable on release, and continuous fixes and polish is added, the game isn't broken or dead.

Just make sure feedback doesn't sound like complaints, and is constructive. Maybe add a one-two liner on the context of the bug and some theories on it's source, and you will have contributed a lot to the game, and towards the fix.

Personal response to the balance comment: 1v1, same skill, direct combat, HA beats LA all the time, every time. the thing is, this game is not flat, and direct combat is rarely found. a good LA will find the advantage over HA nearly every time....except when rounding a corner into an HA's big gun. *shiver*
  17. Aleksandrgrc

LA is my fav. my jumppack not working right sucks. HA eating me alive? hell im a max's bane HA is nothing and when i jump my quad over a hill and launch into the air and kill 20 guys with c4 and grenades... i eat everyone alive ! :)
  18. Ronin Oni

^This... get vertical momentum, and only move forward as much as you need to... but not too close!

Once you get used to it... it's pretty easy
  19. Ronin Oni

Not entirely true.... The LA's Carbine can zero in faster than the LMG's and at a certain skill level, the short range accuracy of the Carbine can have a LA beat an HA even through a shield. (will require headshots... but if the LA gets on target first the HA will have no option but spray and pray with shield up due to hit stagger.... the HA can still win doing this)

However, as mentioned.... LA's strengths are in it's mobility and flanking.

I kill HA after HA after HA from my perches as I rain down death until spotted and fly away to a new perch.
  20. {joer

This. I certed HA but am switching to LA being I'm a "run and gunner" type. The better accuracy and faster movement of the LA suit me and I completely eat HA's for lunch, shield or no shield.