Think this laptop could handle PS2 adequately?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lazaruz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Lazaruz

So I'm thinking about buying a new laptop (again), and seeing how PS2 is my main game at the moment, it would be nice if that laptop could run PS2 reliably. I'm not worried about graphics settings and all that, steady frames in all situations is more important to me. So how do you think this would do?

17.3" Full HD
    Intel Core i7-4702MQ 2.2 GHz (3.2GHz)
    8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM (max 32 GB)
    750 GB 5400 rpm SATA + free slot for SSD
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 4 GB GDDR3 <------------ Will this come back to bite me?

Currently I could get this for 999 euros.
    Opinions or suggestions appreciated, but keep in mind that I'm on the market for a laptop, not a desktop. Even though the price/performance would be way better for those.

Thanks.
  2. Paulus

Depends what you consider "Adequate".

As far as laptop gaming goes, you will be one of the happier ones, but you will still feel underwhelmed when you see the FPS you get when compared to the equivalent Desktop.

If you MUST get a laptop, then yes, this spec sheet is going to play the game to what I would consider acceptable for a laptop, but be under no illusion you're playing on a compromise.
  3. Bambasti

My opinion is that notebooks aren't made for gaming because it requires a lot of calculation power that generates some heat which can't be handled in such a small space. And, that's even more important, you can't change the graphics card which will be by far the first part that becomes outdated. Even now the GT 750M is somewhat behind in performance (http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GT 750M&id=2492), imagine how that will look like in a year. Also a 17,2" screen isn't that great by todays standards, I find it quite small.

My advice: get a cheaper notebook just for the stuff you really need when you're on the road, for gaming buy a desktop pc.
  4. Lafladitu

it is good enough to play this game I have a lot worse of a laptop then you its almost 2 and a ½ year now

you can always use HDMI cable and use the TV, I am doing it ;)
  5. Lazaruz

I'd be happy with 35-40fps in heavy fights to be honest. I don't really need 60+ at all situations.
  6. Paulus

You might struggle there. Your prospective CPU has a fairly low clock speed, so it will be hit quite hard. You might manage 30FPS, but then those really big fights tend to be fewer these days (unless you're on one of the big US servers), so you might find there are still plenty of fights you can enjoy.
  7. NiteJazz

Really, you could get a better laptop. Asus has a gaming laptop series and they make really great laptops for around $1,000. I currently own a ASUS g73jh(costs about 500$ on ebay) and can play with medium or high graphics with 40-50 fps. Also remember this game affects your cpu more than your gpu. 3.2 ghz won't do much unless you can overclock it.

If you want a PC. look on you tube and search up cheap gaming pc builds and I can assure you that you will get way better performance with a gaming pc than a laptop.
    • Up x 1
  8. Alexlightning7

He never said what model his laptop was, why do you think its not an ASUS.
    Also, ASUS is good, but not always good for the money. better then ones like alienware though.
    And your not gonna overclock a laptop processor, atleast not well. and will void warrenty imidiatly.
    Honestly, it seems that the majority of responders in this thread have no idea what their talking about when it comes to laptops. thats not to say you dont know things about PCs, just alot of inaccurate statements about laptops in comparison to PCs.

Now, with all this said, who the **** made that laptop!?!?
    4 Gbs of vRAM on a 750M?!? thats just ridiculous, a Titan wont even use that much memory on a single screen, even at extreme resolutions and SSAA.
    If theirs any version you can get cheaper, preferably 2Gbs of GDDR5 memory instead(although aim for 2Gbs or even 1 Gb regardless).
    750M itself is pretty good though.
    My 650$ laptop from last year(though more like 2 year old parts) runs this game ultra settings with good fps out of fights.
    In battles of course, there are fps drops. At launch, I could proudly claim that my dual core laptop was outperforming 8 core desktops at the same settings. updates over time, have caused that to become untrue. still probly beating amds 6 core processors.

And btw, a well made laptop wont overheat in gaming. There are alot of not so well made laptops out there though.

Can you link us to web page where you found this laptop?
  9. Lazaruz

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/prod...17-3-Full-HD-Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-8-GB-750-GB

Actually found one for 100 euros more (1090e) with a GTX 760m, extra RAM and a little more HDD space:
    http://cdon.fi/kotielektroniikka/17inch_acer_v3-772g-747a122tmakk_intel_core_i7-4702mq_-_12_gb_-_1000_gb_-_windows_8_-_17,3"_-_geforc-23882850

Notebookcheck's take on the GTX 760m model:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Acer-Aspire-V3-772G-747A321-Notebook.93916.0.html

I'm not set on Acer, but this is just a laptop that spiked my interest for the price...
    Although my current one is an Acer, with an i5-480m, GT 540m and 8gigs of RAM. I usually float around 50-60 at the warpgate, around 40 in small fights, 25-30 on medium, and drop as low as 15 in massive zergs on the weekend. My current laptop hasn't had any problems in the 3 years I've had it, hence my trust for the brand. But as I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the responses so far!
  10. BlackDove

GDDR3 will come back to bite you if you want a serious gaming machine. That's why they give you 4GB of it, which will be pretty useless, since the memory bandwidth is significantly lower than GDDR5.
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

i have played ps2 on an Asus laptop for a long time, it ran quite fine at medium details and 1366 x 768. as my laptop's specs (i7-2670qm 2.2/3.1ghz, 8gb ddr3, gt540m 1gb vram) are probably way worse than yours, you should do fine.

however, keep in mind that laptops (apart from obvious performance limitations) are never made for gaming. their keyboards are cluttered, they get hot fast, you sit too close to the screen and need to 'bend over' the device which can get tiresome, and usually some of its components make it almost unsuitable for high-performance tasks like gaming. that's why you're always better off with a tower-pc for games
  12. Sandpants

Basically, you won't be GPU bound if you play at a lower res with any of the cards mentioned in this thread and you need the currently not available better CPU that can be put on a laptop. The GTX 7**M might be able to do well at higher resolutions. You are likely to put textures on ultra, graphic quality on high (depth of field and improved lighting), and you will probably want to put shadows on low/off. The rest of the settings will probably be put on low or switched off in useroptions.ini without much visual change.

Putting the former mentioned textures and graphics on low doesn't do any good for my GT650M in or out of fights.

That being said, currently available laptop CPUs can't get this game beyond 30FPS in a huge fight. Since this game uses cores poorly clockrate matters a lot and laptop CPUs do no have it high enough. Resolution is what will bog your GPU down - native resolutions on those screens will probably not run at higher than 25 FPS in big fights.

It will be playable, but likely not very enjoyable. Flight for example would be difficult with these conditions.

Got a laptop myself.

I7-3630QM
    GT650M
    8GB Ram.

Hopefully as the PS4 version closes in the game uses the resources more efficiently and laptops will be able to run this game better.
  13. Alexlightning7

Ahh........ Well, I was going to look at the screen res, but its in a different language. either way, you will play everything maxed with shadows on low or off at good fps, 20-30 in massive fights. around 30 exactly if your dedicated to only fps and not interested in looks at all.

That is, assuming you had a well made laptop with the mentioned specs.

Unfortionately, Acer has a long and well deserved reputation of being crap for gaming. Most notably, terrible heating.

Even the most well made Acer laptops with slightly lower specs in ever way to my HP laptop run an average of 10-15 C higher, and since Now with it being summer I am pushing temps to 80 at times, thats bad news.

But this is with a i5 dual core and a low-mid range graphics card. your running an i7 and a more powerful GPU then me(solidly mid range). Your never gonna reach full clock speed of that i7 with that laptop.

They also tend to be made out of flimsy materials and cant survive any sort of major fall, but thats somewhat less important in this case.

They make up for it by being cheap, and having great specs on Paper. Problem is, they will rarely, if ever, manage to reach the papers specs.

I hate to say it, but nearly any other brand will be better. Look at whats available in your country by other people like lenovo, ASUS, HP, Toshiba, Ect.
    Like I said above, well made laptops will never overheat, but just from googling that laptop I have found that it doesnt change from Acers trend of bad heating.