Thermal Optics vs Night Vision

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Volccis, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Sten

On Esamir especially, and on the other continents in certain light/fog conditions, NV can be oversaturated while Thermal remains high-fidelity. (may depend on system settings)
  2. Slyguy65

The best example of why most people oppose most other things...it isn't in THEIR best interest.

That is why gay marriage is frowned on most of us say ...ew which means NOPE CAN'T HAPPEN.

World peace...pssshh how else would we make money if people weren't at eachothers throats.

But at lest the dude was dead honest.
  3. Kadulu

I don't have a real opinion on thermal and infared (since I just have about 50 hours of playing) but just one or two things in my opinion you didn't think about:

1. If you make night darker, all the game will be unbalanced. For example infiltrators who are using snipers do not have the choice to take a nightvision aim for long range shots. So when it is night, they would be useless. We can also think about sentries which do not have any specific aim. All the defenses of outposts would be useless too... There are a lot of things that would become just useless (or less effective) during night.

2. Changing the nightvision, deleting it, or even "rebalancing" thermal vision could make other aims and visions useless or underpowered. The aim which is just giving a zoom could be disadvantaged compared to these. the solution could be to give the same range to thermal and infared visions by keeping costs like they are.

3. This game is supposed to have a great balance between newbies and veteran players. The objective is to ensure that personnal skills of each players are what is needed to win a battle. If you disbalance anything which is related to certifications, it implies that newbies will farm and die over and over with the only reason they didn't play since the launch of planetside 2 because veterans just have the best outfit.

I think all of these points are bunch of reasons why devs do not want to change any of these. By keeping nightvision and thermal this way they are sure that new players can buy an upgrade which is cheap and almost like its substitute. This substitute which just offers comfort and achievement to veteran players.