There is NO reason that NC and TR tanks should be able to shoot aircraft out of the skies.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HowCanSheSlap, May 5, 2013.

1. Jalek

It's impossible for these tanks to fire directly above themselves as described as well. The turrets don't deflect that far, with the exception of the Skyguard.

But if we're talking "real life", most MANPADS can down a helicopter in one, maybe two hits.
  2. Zan_Aus

What does a shoulder launched guided missile vs helicopters have to do with tank main guns vs planes?
  3. InfernoKoV

Let me ask the OP this... How many time have you been shot out of the sky by a tank? How many times by everything else? Now compare those 2 numbers... See the difference? If the number is higher than you'd like it to be then find out what you're doing wrong. This is a pointless argument.
  4. Ultramarine

Fact: modern tanks can shoot down hovering helicopters or helicopters approaching within the tank's turret elevation.
    Fact: most ESF's that get shot down were within 50M, much closer than the range to the helicopters real tanks can shoot
    Fact: ESF's are VTOL, half helicopter half jet
    Fact: Aimbots cannot be used against aircraft due to pilots movements being a dynamic vector. Attempting to use one would result in seemingly random shots with no effectiveness.

I play NC, NC only, always have always will. I've clocked god knows how many hours since beta, and I've shot down aircraft maybe 3 times ever with a tank cannon. It only happens when the pilot is ******** (sorry)
  5. Shoza Nakh

OP, please, spend some of your precious time, just sit in vanguard and try to hit ESF from heat cannon. Make 100 shots and post how many ESF you killed. I will be very surprised if you kill more than 1-2, really.

I'm myself killed maybe 20 ESF's with various weapons that not supposed to do it, tank cannons, dumbfire launchers, Lancer, AV Phalanx turrets, Hacksaws and Falcons and on top of it, Commissioner pistol. Every time it was bad pilots hovering or really slow moving around.
  6. KlyptoK

Technically they can hit more than just helicopters. Jets would require information relayed from external radar, but other aircraft types within LoS and turret elevation are still game.

Modern armor can accurately hit targets miles away out of LoS while both the tank and the target are moving at high speeds.

Pretty much this.

For them it might seem like they magically getting hit by super-accurate tank shells, but we are shooting at them ALL THE TIME.

It amazes me how many ESFs will take the 6th or 7th shell whizzing by their canopy to realize they are being fired upon, and some of them never even seem to notice as shell after shell is lobbed in the sky in their direction.
    • Up x 1
  7. The King

Not true, the big difference, which is what people are complaining about is the velocity of VS compared to the other 2.
    It's so easy to hit air with a vanguard.
    • Up x 1
  8. Shoza Nakh

Slow moving or hovering air, like most killed in this video.
  9. theholeyone

Hahaha, if anything this shows the OP nature of the magriders main gun against aircraft. Now before you get all QQ or frothy at the mouth hear me out. If a TR or NC shoot you down you just explode, maybe see the muzzle flash. But if a VS shoots you down, you often have to look at that projectile and go oh shi... before exploding. It's just a more emotional victory. Also, as the video shows, its an aquired skill, if you think its **** and don't bother trying to shoot em down, you won't get many hits.
  10. Xhaleon

Slow flying ESF are so funny.

You're one of the few vehicles that can fly, why do you even want to go so slow? Tank cannons in this game have so much slower muzzle velocity than reality, and you're complaining about being shot down as an aircraft? There's something really wrong here.
  11. PaperPlanes

It is pretty easy to hit aircraft with the AP Vanguard, I'll agree with that. Compared to the Prowler and Magrider, it's ultra easymode. Probably why you actually see quite a lot of AP Vanguards around these days, especially since the vehicle XP buffs.
  12. Chiss

There is no reason VS tanks should be able to strafe. Only 1/3 factions can do it. It's not fair.
    • Up x 3
  13. tbot

LoL there is no way you can make those tanker here have compassion for us pilots.

We could kill them within 1.5 seconds when we spot them, fly around, came in low and hit them in the rear while we needed to evade AA and enemy ESFs.

So they got now a rear upgrade so it is close to impossible anymore when you have a secondary gunner who is not braindead.

Funny is that they think its fair to kill AIR very fast (ESF has a TTK 0 when they use AP).
    And you need to be super skilled, you know you have to aim into the sky and shoot.
    Im sure its not as easy as lock ons, but i remember my first day in PS2 (december 2012) where i followed a zerg to the NC gate with a prowler. And i shot down 2 ESFs and a LIB.
  14. TheDjLomo

well if your gonna fly where we can hit you we gonna hit you this is become cryaboutwhateverkilledyouside2
  15. Zan_Aus

I've been killed multiple times when using afterburner + Racer 3 and dodging/curving, its not just hoverers. Either people are aimbotting or the velocity is way to high, one of the two.
  16. Slandebande

Equip an anti-air weapon... Right, which anti-air weapon for the main gun am i supposed to equip?? In the meantime, I'll happily shoot you down in my AP prowler assisted by my vulcan gunner :)
  17. Shoza Nakh

Man, I was killed on 500m altitude in the middle of evasive maneuver on 200 km/h speed by S1 rocket launcher, how do you think it was just skill or maybe S1 rocket fly too fast? It maybe just lucky shot or it must be cheater. You always can try it yourself, take stock vanguard and try to kill ESF's.
  18. Versuchender

What a hilarious thread. "I get in your back and drop half a rocket-pod"-pilots crying about being shot down by a tank.

Shooting enemy aircraft is a matter of (high) precision and works only against slow moving ESFs (= predict their movement and your shell) and best against bragging ESF-Hover-pilots.

I can truely imagine how some, if not most pilots think "Oh, there's a tank. Easy farm", hovering face to face just to get a shell into their ****ing face and die. I laugh every single time in TS, because it's so hilarious to shoot a cocky pilot in his face. Same for "I backstab you"-Rocketpodder. If it isn't a good VS (double rockets = even more insta gib) and i am not distracted, I just turn for 90°, maybe activate the shield and just hit the hovering ******* in his face. Well, at least I try, since the field of view is limited through explosions and a good ESF-pilot just dodges the shell with minimal movement or just hovers above the angle.

This said: L2P :D:eek:
  19. Aegie

But let me guess- you want those rocketpods to work just dandy on both infantry and vehicles, yes or no?
  20. lilleAllan

TR/NC tanks are good at shooting down NOOB pilots.
    I put two halberd shells in an ESF yesterday as well. Nerf Halberd pls.