Theory Craft thread!

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Labad, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Labad

More of a collective brainstorm. Don't confuse this with another "LA is UP" thread, this is just me bouncing my opinion off of the public.
    LA just feels a little lacking in the customization department, there's really not too many options when looking to kit the class out. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on how to add more depth to this class, as it stands, C4 is the biggest unlock we have available.
    Thoughts? Ideas?
  2. Nehlis

C4 is a special case for LA. While it's true that all classes (save infilitrator) can use C4, Light assault excells at using it due to the high mobility and extra dimension of movement. All this gives a high degree of unpredictability. I'd combine it with smoke grenades to further increase the unpredictability of the LA, as well as provide some extra utility. Weapons are mostly flavor of choice, but I'd keep the stock set.
    As for tactics, the LA is designed to be flanker and recon. Find paths to go around enemies and get behind them, take advantage of your jetpack at every opportunity. If you get behind a tank, 1 c4 block will kill it at around 2/3rds health IF it sticks. 2 should kill any tank outright, barring armor upgrades (the back area cannot be upgraded = WEAK SPOT). Fly high and always spot enemies, if there's more than you can take, stay hidden and spot for the rest of your team, while taking potshots at medics and engies.
    That's what I have to contribute.
    • Up x 1
  3. Steinsuppe

"Fly high and always spot enemies," - I would like to add that when spotting an enemy you shout it out and i have heard you become visible on the enemy minimap (need confirmation).
  4. VKhaun

I liked another guy's idea for a grapple gun item, where you would shoot it and attach to a wall or ceiling, then be able to shoot from there, but not move. Adding a bit of an ambush tactic to the class.

I also like my own idea of more melee, to encourage the aggressive side of the class. A melee weapon/pistol combo for the rifle slot, where hip fire swings the weapon and then bringing up the sights has you fire a big mean pistol very accurately, but with few shots and long reloads.
  5. Nehlis

You don't become visible on minimap, the enemies you spot become visible on your teammates' minimaps. You do shout it out though, and if you just so happen to be close to the enemies, someone is going to come looking for you.
  6. Maeludir

First off I think it's worth focusing our ideas on combat versatility, as LA is clearly a combat oriented class. Stuff like the Recon's sensor doesn't fit into our role.

As far as combat versatility goes I have a few idea:
    - A primary unlock that replaces your carbine with a tri-barrel grenade launcher, capable of firing grenades, smokes & flashes. What it lacks in ammo & firepower it makes up for in being the life of the party. Got a chokepoint that needs breaking (cough, tech plant, cough)? Just bring ol' Big Bad and turn that sausage fest into a disco!

- Allow LA to cert into specialized versions of C4 such as:
    - Anti-infantry: carry more c4 (4 or so), deals more splash damage, deals less overall damage, doesn't damage vehicles/terminals etc.
    - Anti-vehicle: Deals more damage to vehicles, special magnetic tech allows for greater placement range, deals no splash damage.

- A combat jetpack variant that provides burst movement: super-jumps, charges etc.
  7. Labad

I like the combat jet pack a lot, more akin to a jump pack. I like the "gritty" LA style of getting up close and personal, so +1 to that idea for me.
  8. Nehlis

Sticky bomb launcher maybe?
  9. Wolfwood82

I think we need something that contributes to teamwork, at least one item. I think an ability to salvage ammo is in the works, though I think it's going to translate to "X number of rounds regained per kill". I probably won't be wasting any certs on it, my aggressive play style doesn't leave much room for long life spans.

Some things I wish we had: sticky grenades, AP mines, and better smoke grenades. Maybe improved spotting abilities so things we spot stay tracked for longer periods.