The Warden Battle Rifle [NC]

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by hamflap, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BobFromMarketing

I think it's pretty established that NC has no real advantage theme. We are supposed to be single shot stopping power but if you look at everything designed to do that outside of the scattermax they are a complete joke.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheBloodEagle

NC should have 10+ more dmg at least, ours should have a 5+ or so rate of fire. Funny enough in the stats we have +2 RoF over the Warden but everything else is the same. TR also has a bug that doesnt show a tracer for us (hard to judge bullet drop). NC has a tracer. Overall the Battle Rifles seem like an after thought.
  3. BobFromMarketing

I will agree that they seem unfinished as a weapon class. However I will also say I find them incredibly useful in long range engagements or as a quick fix for countersniping. Assuming you are able it's essentially the Unreal Tournament sniper rifle, allowing you to completely dominate enemy sniper while never stopping to aim as they have to.

Also none of that stupid scope wandering they suffer.
  4. TheBloodEagle

I think a small buff would be reasonable. Just checked he data again. It's actually funny how similar all the weapon stats are (compared to all the complaining about weapon balance).

An infiltrator
    • semi-auto Scout Rifle does 334 max
    • semi-auto Sniper Rifle does 400 max
    • bolt action Sniper Rifle does 750-800 max
    So I feel like the Battle Rifles should be upped to at least 280 as baseline.
    • Up x 1
  5. BobFromMarketing

Ya but at the cost of damage per shot we gain no scope wandering, a 20 shot clip with extremely fast and accurate semi auto fire, and you get all this on a class with a big shield, rockets, and c4.

I would like to see more variation between the weapons though, as you stated. Ours needs to have a slightly lower refire rate and hit around 300. Yours keeps current damage and increases refire rate by around 20%. Van...well vanu don't get bullet drop :v
  6. TheBloodEagle

Ahh yeah that's true about the scope sway/wandering. Do both types of scout rifles do that as well?
  7. BobFromMarketing

The ones I messed with did. I haven't purchased any but it seems to be a class "mechanic" all modern FPS are adopting. Also the primary reason I don't snipe in games anymore.
  8. Jarek

The biggest issue for the Warden for me (and I believe this is the case with the TR version but not the VS) is the bullet drop. For a supposedly long range weapon, it has horrendous bullet drop, which seems counter-intuitive to me. I'd like to see that improved as well as upping the damage a bit.

Unfortunately on the NC HA I just find the baseline SAW a better long-range weapon than the Warden, which is a shame because I *want* to like the Warden. I love battle rifles, but while the Warden isn't precisely bad, it's a poorer option than the SAW.
  9. Grixxitt

I'm a fan of the Warden but it definitely needs a damage buff.

The Warden does 250 dmg I believe while semi-auto scout rifles do about 333, and semi-auto sniper rifles do 400.
    (yes, yes, I know heavies get rockets and a shield over infiltrators but still)

Barring that I would like to see the semi-auto scout rifle crossover for the engineer.
    Engis would love it because the carbines are terrible at anything past spitting distance and I'm sure snipers would absolutely love having an engineer close by supplying them with ammo.
  10. Grixxitt

11. hamflap

I think the future of the battle rifles should follow one of these two routes:
    • Keep ROF / recoil / bullet drop / bullet velocity the same and buff damage per bullet
    • Keep damage per bullet the same, increase ROF / bullet velocity and reduce recoil / bullet drop
    My thoughts are that the first option would just turn it into a weapon that gets complained about but it does suit the faction design ideology in that it's inaccurate and hard to hit anything but when you do you blast it to bits. The second would probably serve more use on the battlefield though. Obviously I'm writing purely for the Warden, the TR variant could have a more offset ROF etc.

I've noticed that the stats for the guns display a peculiar picture where TR and NC seem to not get that much of a perk from their empires 'theme'. Sure TR have marginally higher ROF and NC pack slightly more punch but IMO the devs have been quite conservative in dishing out the empire related boosts. VS have weapons that are usually just as powerful but suffer no bullet drop. Let's not get into that though, that's a different thread, and plenty already exist.
  12. Deathcapt

All GUns "sway" you can see it on 4x scopes, once you get up to 6x it gives you the option to steady, but even the 1x reflex has scope sway, you just can't see it.
  13. Dakkaface

I love the Warden - granted, I main Engineer rather than Heavy, but the Warden with nothing more than a scope certed is better than the default Gauss SAW until the SAW has 200 more certs invested into it. An investment I'm unlikely to make in a class I only pull if I need AV work done. I do base assaults as every other class but Heavy because I hate the SAW. At least now I don't avoid the class anymore.

However, I definitely agree that the Warden needs some ammo types to pick up. HV ammo would be nice to counter bullet drop, and the gun probably needs a very slight damage bump.
  14. Darkian

It currently does like 250 damage per shot, if they increased it to 300, increased bullet velocity and removed 6x+ scopes, it would be perfect, it would then be effective at mid/long ranges, but limited by scope, so not as good as semi auto snipers that infiltrators have.
    • Up x 2
  15. Dakkaface

All battle rifles currently do 250 damage. The Warden is currently the worst battle rifle but not by much. The TR one has slightly better firing speed and the Vanu one has no bullet drop. The Warden has no empire specific bonus. It really ought to hit slightly harder than the other two.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12
  16. Darkian

17. Dakkaface

Yeah, the delay in hunting down the spreadsheet got me ninja'd.
  18. TheBloodEagle

We just have to bug the devs on Twitter for them to take a second look at it.
  19. CrossFire

love my warden with forward grip and compensator =) i'm using it at all distances with default scope. reminds me cod2 m1Garand
  20. Cavadus

The problem with making BRs have empire specific traits is that they're long range semi-auto weapons. This means that alpha and accuracy trump RoF so the AMR-66 would be inferior to the other two.

I think the solution here is to give the AMR-66 high velocity ammo and give the Warden soft point (to cert into, not by default).