The VE-S Canis appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mianera, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Mianera

The Canis has done something incredible to the game.

Not only is the VS faction on Miller finally populated again, but this weapon is an absolute beauty to play with. Having just finished auraximizing some weapons and unlocking black camo for two of my toons, jumping back into the game to find this magnificent and completely overpowered weapon has made my planetside 2 experience something wonderful.

The last time I was able to pull over 100 kills pr. hour, was when I was auraximizing the Lynx and Anchor. Now there is absolutely no doubt that this weapon is a mean killing machine but honestly, I knew that already as soon as I tried all three SMG's in VR training.

So what exactly is it that makes this weapon so effective compared to.... well, pretty much any other gun in the game?

Pros:
    - Reload speed. Good Lord, for someone who plays extremely aggressively like I do, my biggest setback has always been reload times, and this gun just barely has one.

- Magazine size. Typically, only TR weapons have had the trait of holding over 30 rounds in a mag. and therefore been able to pull off those tripple kills.

- Recoil. Granted, it isn't as good as on the TR smg, but still extremely manageable.

- Cone of fire. This is a spray and kill weapon. Honestly, the COF doesn't go to the extreme unless you really keep the trigger squeezed past 25 bullets.

- Accuracy. Viable even in medium range, this weapon outperforms other medium range weapons with ease, you do need to burst a little, but my God I love it!

Cons:
    - Silencer is completely useless, the velocity on the weapon is already so low that there is no point in using it. Same honestly goes for the other new SMG's.

- Bullets fire from the chest. This is a bit annoying when using cover and takes some getting used to, but the pros still outweigh the cons.

I mean, glue this this weapon to a heavy assault with adrenaline shield and reap in those kills!
    However, I do believe that this weapon is overpowered and the nerf is inbound rather soon. It's got to be considering how easy this weapon is to use and how quickly you get kills with it.

So, I am doing the only rational thing there is to do, saying that I absolutely love this gun and getting it auraximized before it gets nerfed to the ground like every other VS weapon in the history of planetside!
    Once the nerf hits, I will be hopping onto my NC toon and getting the Gladius auraximized, but after that, I am not too sure if I will be interested in the Jackal. Seems a bit to me as if TR got the short end of the stick, and that attachment for that stores 9 bullets for a spray seems to be utterly useless when taking the refire time into account.

In any way, I frikken love the Canis, don't you dare nerf it, I still need a day or two to get it auraximized, after that I honestly wont care! :)
  2. Campagne

That's an interesting idea, that overpowered weapons and equipment can be beneficial for the game. (Besides the "normal" OP stuff like the Commissioner).

Although I'm afraid I don't agree. One-sided additions like this are detrimental to ~2/3rds of the player base, and I suppose while it's fun to have some time in the sun, I feel that poor balance which favours one side more than another is overall worse for the game as a whole.

Also go for the Jackal next, not the Gladius. :p
  3. Mianera

Oh, I completely agree. But then we would have to compare the Anchor to the Orion and MSW-R. Believe it or not, I still find the Anchor to be the most overpowered weapon in the game, there is nothing that can take that in a 1v1, not even the Canis, far from it in fact.

Wrel mentioned a long while back, that balance isn't just equal weapon counterparts but also encouragement to play a specific faction, and that factions overall average skill. Don't get me wrong, however... I was completely shocked how much the new smg's favor the VS, the Canis clearly outshines the others and I do wonder what the heck they were thinking from a overall perspective, especially since I play all 3 factions with toons above BR100.

Still.... it really is nice to see the VS populated again, but probably the wrong way to go about it. Either way, I love and I'm taking the advantage while it lasts :p

PS: Why the Jackal over the Gladius?
  4. Campagne

I don't feel the same the way about the three LMGs. Personally I found the Anchor to be somewhat lacklustre and overrated. I'd probably put my money on the Canis in that fight, but maybe I just didn't fit the Anchor very well.

I suppose there might be some logic in that, though in my opinion equal factions would likely draw equal populations, but I guess that's only on paper.

If either the Jackal or Gladius is at risk of nerf, it'd probably be the Jackal over the Gladius in my opinion.
  5. Jac70

I just unlocked it and took it into live. It's a decent weapon. Good close up but then it's an SMG - that is what it is for. Certainly not 'broken' like people are trying to make out. Lots of people are trying them so if you are a TR or NC you are dying to them. Of course you are but it isn't some magical 'auto-aim' weapon which I've actually seen suggested on a forum. I tell you what, it cannot out DPS a Gladius, especially in the hands of an Infiltrator. Not seeing anybody whining about that!
    • Up x 2
  6. Mianera

I actually read that thread, gross exaggeration and yeah, taking it way too far.

Another thing I have really considered is, that the new SMG's are performing really well as SMG's. They massively outshine the old ones, basically making them obsolete.

Really though, not just in performance but weapon handing, models, textures and animations. Especially the Jackal reload animation, I mean it is just beautiful!
  7. UberNoob1337101

Honestly, it's one of the most fun, if not THE most fun weapon in the game currently. Just the knowledge that enemy planetmans can't dance away from their demise is amusing, seeing them hopelessly ADAD and lag jump whereas my bullets don't care either way. There's barely any other weapon currently that I can gleefully pick and run-and-gun. I wish there were more quality run-and-gun weapons. The new SMGs fill a fun role, shame that other SMGs aren't on par with their quality.

It shows how fun this game is when ADAD, laggy jumping and medkit spam aren't be-all end-all maneuvers.
  8. Mianera

Couldn't agree more, I haven't had this much fun in planetside in a while. However, better enjoy it, Wrel posted on twitter that it's getting a nerf on Wednesday.

I'm over halfway to auraximizing it, so I should get it done in time.
    • Up x 3
  9. Eternaloptimist

All I can say is this: I have seen many new weapons introduced and in every case there has been a fairly brief period when everyone seemed to be trying them out, so getting killed by them a lot was to be expected (and accepted).

The TR and NC SMGs are no exception but the VS Canis seems to be bordering on the ridiculous. I just counted and the last 17 times in a row that I was killed was by a Canis. I didn't win a single fight with a VS using a Canis in that run of deaths (I'm not great but I'm not that bad).

I have nothing against high power SMGs or NSX head shot monsters or Orions with heat mechanic or whatever but the apparent ability to basically just wave the Canis in your general direction and kill you seems to remove the point of gunplay.

I have no doubt it will be toned down (this is what usually happens in these cases) so I'm just going to avoid fighting the VS until that happens. It's a real shame to be talking like this but this is the first time in three years I've played the game and thought "what's the point?".

I know it's not the first time something inadvertently OP has been launched and had to be changed but I can't help wondering how something like the Canis got through the testing phase without anyone noticing or commenting on this unstable ammo thingy, which is not just enormously effective but only benefits one faction.
    • Up x 2
  10. Blam320

Unstable ammo literally restricts the effective range of the Canis to CQC-midrange. After the headshot multiplier nerf that we all know is coming it should be in a pretty good spot.

Though, as an alternative we could give it's spin-up mechanic to the TR SMG. It might fit them a bit better.
  11. Mianera

Just finished auraximizing the Canis and hopped over to try out the Gladius and Jackal.

What a disappointment, I was really hoping they would offer at least half the fun that the Canis did. I still love the Canis, but it is in much need of the coming nerf.

That being said, the Gladius seriously needs a buff, as right now I can find no reason to use it over the cyclone. Which is a damn shame, considering how beautiful it is, but it just underperforms. Still better than the NS SMG's, but honestly what the heck isn't.
    • Up x 1
  12. Prudentia

if the spinup mechanic went onto the jackal there would be a massive outrage how detrimental it is. you know, cause TR. on VS a 500/167 seems to be fine i guess
    • Up x 1