The Vanu and how they are killing the game

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ianneman, Jul 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duckman39

Scrublord
    • Up x 2
  2. SamReye

I think this mentality has built up over time, with the fact that there ARE some really effective outfits on VS, my fellow faction members insulting everyone all the time, and the fact that many of the best players may have actually migrated over to VS. From my personal experience when I choose to play NC/TR, I only ever get frustrated from the Orion/BG spam that many top players use (because lets be honest, it's the best LMG in the game currently), but whenever someone ISN'T using one, I almost always have a successful engagement. I personally would argue that the majority of the VS playerbase is just as good as the other factions, but we are, as a whole, extremely ignorant towards the other factions' complaints. I think if there was a way to hypothetically divide each player by skill-level (both in aim and awareness/player knowledge, because those are extremely different and equally important) so each faction had approximately the same amount, we may not be seeing posts like this currently. Oh, and in my experience, I haven't seen a huge advantage when it comes to alert wins/caps; it usually only has to do with overpops, and those happen on all factions.
    • Up x 2
  3. Taemien

I must be missing something here. I get that VS wins most of the alerts. My question is why? I have theories on it. But lets go back a ways.

In 2012, VS was a pushover. I don't know if it was because they had crappy players or crappy equipment. But they weren't a threat. It was those purple dudes on the left side of Indar. But the fight was between the TR and NC, at least on Genudine.

When Genudine was merged with Helios. The VS became a contender. I don't know if it was because of buffs or better Helios VS players.

Here's what I do know. The VS got the following buffs and equipment. Its not a comprehensive list and not in chronological order, as I'm just pulling it from memory:

1. Weapons reduced to standard 2 range brackets. Used to do more variable damage over range. Work like TR/NC weapons.
    2. ZOE introduced and then nerfed.
    3. Lancer and Lasher introduced
    4. New ES carbines, SMGs, Assault Rifles, ect (everyone got all these).
    5. Saron buffed, nerfed, buffed, nerfed.. dunno what status its in now.. I haven't been killed by it in like 2 years. Same with the PPA.
    *I'm sure there is more, but its just not coming to me at the moment. Nothing standing out for them anyway.

Things I used to have trouble with when fighting VS:

Dual Proton Pods. Hated them things in 2012. Don't remember dying to these within the last year. I'm sure I have, but its not as bad as they used to be. They were fixed alongside every other aerial explosive.
    Thanatos. Used to be real popular with the VS I was fighting for a time. Again haven't seen it in use in forever.
    NS weapons. There was a time where they used pretty much all NS weapons. Made fighting them a little interesting, I hear dakka instead of pew and get confused.
    White camo. Made identifying them crazy sometimes.

None of those things are complained about now by anyone. So they aren't the reason why

So my question is, what the heck put them at the top? On every alert stat I see the Orion get about 1000-1400 kills and double or triple that of any other single weapon. But when I play VS I miss using my SAW, EM6, or GD22. Its a good weapon, but I really think the only reason it is used so much is the other LMGs are crap.

I did some math on some alerts and LMG kills across the three factions are about even. TR and NC have their kills spread out among 2-3 weapons, VS don't. So I can't say the Orion is winning the alert.

More effective weapons isn't winning the alerts either. Looking at the stats again, all three factions have similar KPU, KDR, KPH, ect. At least similar enough to not explain the victories.

So I have two theories.

One being that they just have more organization. But I'm finding that hard to see across every server in the game. That doesn't make sense.

The other one is base design. Basically everyone roughly knows the ins and outs of their weapons. They engage at ranges and situations more favorable to them. VS weapons on average are more favorable where it matters, around the various control points. That explains why statistically VS isn't too far ahead, but still winning.

What I'd like to see is a squad get together and runs some tests. Play through some alerts as each faction, and focusing on doing base captures (not vehicle zerging or whatnot, just whatever it would take to get a base). Then record the stats and see who's doing better.
    • Up x 1
  4. NinjaKirby

I wrote a long post about how I feel the VS appear OP when they really aren't, because it's just psychological. So I'll try to shorten it a bit, here goes:

TR: Normal Bullets
    NC: Normal Bullets
    VS: Crazy Laser BS

TR: Sounds like normal Gunfire
    NC: Sounds like normal Gunfire
    VS: ******' Lasers and ****

TR: My tank explodes sometimes when I drive into a small ditch
    NC: My tank explodes sometimes when I drive into a small ditch
    VS: **** you I'm flying *******

There's a tonne of visual and audible differences between the VS and the other two, that I believe can make it appear OP.

Not to mention one of there heavy projectile sound effects comes across as GUNFIRE to me, still trying to get used to it. I check the map regularly enough to know enemy positions around me if they're spotted or highlighted for weapon fire, and when VS explosions go off it first seems like VS infantry weapons... it's not, it's disorienting because my map contradicts what I am hearing.

I think all the above in my post also influences me; if I had to choose my engagements for more casual low-key gameplay, I would engage the TR (an NC myself). Fighting a 96v96 against VS, well... I might as well trip on Acid or something, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar sensory experience.

I exaggerate in this post somewhat, but you catch my drift on what I believe could be inadvertently and falsely amplifying the general consensus.
    • Up x 1
  5. Dj Gus

Saltside 2 at it's best... I mean, how ******** can these guys be?!
    • Up x 1
  6. Iridar51

I've played a lot as both NC and VS LA, in addition to my TR main, and I have to say - when playing VS it's very nice not having to deal with ******** such as tanks shooting from every ******* angle, PPA and borderline speedhacking HAs with MLGrion.

But I did notice that every faction has some things that make them annoying to fight. NC have too many random one shots from shotguns on everything and lucky headshots.

As an infantry player, TR are the least annoying to fight, since they don't really have anything special apart from surprisingly high DPS defaults, but that rarely plays any role. Banshee can be annoying, but after so many nerfs it's basically an airhammer that's not OP.
    • Up x 2
  7. Chryvrius

Honestly, VS balance wise is pretty fine, it's a matter of fun value when playing against them, they are just... less fun to fight. They have huge numbers, the strafing on their LMG's (which is not overpowered, just really annoying), and often whenever a faction starts losing to them they switch over to vs, which in turn makes this whole process even worse and it keeps repeating until its time to just say "Higby it" and log off.
  8. Nintyuk

I'm glad some people are helping turn this thread around.
    This issue is one of the reasons I feel the Black-Ops idea proposed by the Dev's is a great idea,
    Primarily while faction loyalty is fun and all it's character loyalty that is generally more important as it's more the time investment in a particular character that decides what you play as.
    By having the community split in three it let's things get imbalanced in the mindsets of players and introduces the grass is greener mentality.
    With black ops it will help players on servers come together and enjoy playing with and against each other rather than fighting each other on and off the battlefield.

TL;DR : Let the vanu go black ops then they can fight themselves and feel the suck first hand.
    • Up x 1
  9. Shatteredstar

When I'm on TR thats how I feel with them, that they don't have anything specifically "this is great!" just some things you're like "Thats pretty good I guess."

VS some guns you can FEEL the accuracy benefit compared to others, on NC you can feel the more potent shots. TR feels well, kinda generic honestly. Everything is a "hey this feels better to me" and more generalistic. VS most of the weapons seem more specific in role, and NC is all about that smacking your face hard.

Maybe thats why people feel VS is overpowered, the weapons do very well in their role, at least in my experience stuff is either very flexible but doesn't rock the house in one category, or the gun REALLY excels in that one role and so seems really strong when facing it in that role.

NC wise I only hate them when it becomes phoenix spam from spawn room at any sundies we got (TR or VS), feels like an "LOL YOU CANT STOP US FROM WRECKING STUFF" and then the ravens come out. Or shotgun max rush is horrifying compared to other max rushes.
  10. No_STG

To FocusLight: Screw me? All I did was state my own observation. So mature some more and git gud.
  11. BlueSkies

You do realize that at this point most people have at least a low level alt in all 3 factions and consequently know first hand what its like to fight against the VS? And that it isn't that bad (just different) to facing NC or TR?
    • Up x 1
  12. Iridar51

I feel very much the larger magazines on TR carbines, and Jaguar / TRAC 5 are really strong. Armistice is great within the effective range.

I also dig the hell out of lockdown, both on prowler and MAX.
  13. Shatteredstar

Oddly T1 cycler is my favorite gun on TR, just feels buttery smooth, I'm atrocious with most of the other guns.
  14. breeje

yes i did go to far and i did urn this response
    my apologies to Ianneman

for a proper response
    all factions zerg and whatever you hate about it, the worst are the 4 faction that jump factions
    it's not VS, NC or TR that destroy the game but the 4 faction
  15. Iridar51

Cycler is pretty much the only TR AR with any degree of accuracy. TORQ is sidegrade to that, and SABR is burst, so doesn't count.
  16. Nintyuk

I only have 1 character...
  17. ValorousBob

What a surprise, one of the people complaining about a faction being OP has never played that faction and in fact has a sub-1.0 K/D ratio.

EDIT: also you're in possibly the worst NC outfit on Miller. Nothing personal, but it's true and makes me tempted to disregard your opinion on game balance. I'm of the the opinion that you have to be good at a game before your opinion on balance is worthwhile, which is why I rarely comment because I'm an extremely average player.
  18. Chewy102

Id like to bring another game into this topic.

MAG.

You can look up the details if you want but I just want to say that what happened to that game is what's happening to this game. One faction gets an edge, how ever small, balance wise and it goes to their heads. That edge snowballs into real problems and in turn kills the game all while the faction with the edge says everything is fine. Kind of like the frog in boiling water saying, you never notice small problems as they add up till it is to late.

Zipper failed MAG for many reasons. Maps was the main reason for a chunk of the games life, Raven got ****** so hard on maps, but in truth it was letting one faction control basic gameplay. SVER dominated CQC fights from their weapons being best in them and CQC gameplay is what controlled MAG. Sabotage had all points and most of the maps in heavy cover for almost pure CQC. Acquisition's more of the same but with a hint of range in areas from it being vehicle maps. And Domination got more and more CQC the more you got in the match as it funneled all 256 players into smaller and smaller areas while abandoning the rest of the map for the center 4 control points.

PS2 gameplay is not the same as MAG gameplay but it is the same killing PS2 that killed MAG. One factions gear being better at its core for PS2s basic gameplay than the others and that snowballing into edge and that edge then itself snowballing into a problem as players abuse it more and more.
  19. ValorousBob

So you're saying the NC are killing Planetside? Because the NC have the best short range arsenal and Planetside is dominated by short range combat.
  20. Bindlestiff

It was a constructive comment. Play the game, stop ******** about one faction and making out that same faction is killing the game (massively melodramatic); all three factions have areas that make people not want to fight them.

I don't like fighting NC for many reasons. I don't like fighting TR for different reasons. I don't like fighting VS for a bunch of other reasons. When I've had enough of fighting one in a particular session, I'll switch lanes. Does it bother me enough fo call any of them game killing? No, it is simply just different - the way the game is meant to be.

On Cobalt I don't see one faction killing the game. There are periods where VS are dominant, sure, but also in the past week TR have shown a resurgence, and NC are never out of the picture. I went TR on Miller the night before last and found an equally exciting match up between TR and VS that went on for some time. Nobody seems to be actively avoiding anybody, despite the usual forum exaggeration trying to prove the contrary.

If you and a few others aren't enjoying fighting Vanu, I'm sorry for that. There are plenty (I would assume vast majority) who do and I'm one of them. I just don't see it being a 'serious issue' or even an issue at all, and as such I simply don't see anything to care about.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.