[Suggestion] The Ultimate Thread Dedicated to Refurbishing TR as a Faction (Part 2)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EliteEskimo, May 26, 2013.

1. BaldGibbon

Forgot to mention.

I would love to add some aspects to this game that are deemed to be " unbalanced " as this constant drivel to balance eveything is really not adding to planetside.

Something Outrageous like allowing TR troops to have squads of up to 20 troopers and getting a passive bonus if they are in fully manned platoons----but getting a passive penalty if working solo.....NC getting squad restrictions so only able to field half sized platoons due to their non-military background , VS being the planetside equivalent of trying to herd cats ......for example.

Terran Republic Engineers being able to supply ammunition boxes, that with the Terran ammo bonus can refill your clips faster.....but due to their reliance on the supply chain, they CANNOT invest certs beyond level 2....ie....their boxes are rapidly exhausted and have a low radius ( maybe even a small timer )

And all this from a player who spends 90% of his time playing as NC.
    • Up x 1
  2. IamDH

YOU ARE THE MAN[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  3. Felixbz

Bumping this thread up, remember, this isn't a thread to suggest new ideas for tanks or new ideas for passive bonuses for a faction, it's a refurbishing thread to get the TR to actually feel like the TR as they were described in the lore.
    • Up x 2
  4. Gary

You are welcome to take my screenshot comparisons of weapons i took :p I could of done it a bit better by keeping camo and sights the same throughout my bad ;)
    • Up x 3
  5. EliteEskimo

LOL, thanks. Even while looking at the main body of guns you can tell how identical they look, your picture over all was very helpful.:)
    • Up x 1
  6. Gary

Now after reading it i agree with almost all of it :) We feel very samey same and have little variety in the choice of weapons and the damn off center barrel needs looking at already....
    • Up x 2
  7. IamDH

(discretely bumping this amazing thread, dont mind me)
    • Up x 3
  8. joe smo

the Eskimo strikes again!
    I can't agree enough with the ideas you put forth.
    Great thread, man!
    • Up x 1
  9. IamDH

i find this issue common in both VS and TR but atleast when im a purple spandex scientist things like the scythe and the magrider make me feel more unique.....
    Compare this to the other factions
    ---------------Launchers------------------
    TR : Lock on launcher
    VS: A no drop and fast shooting launcher
    NC: a camera guided missile
    ---------------Tanks---------
    TR: A brick
    NC: A rectangular, stronger brick (a tolerable brick)
    VS: Floating purple tank
    Art-wise, it is blatantly clear that the TR need something to make them stand out as the military faction
    LOYALTY BORDOM BEYOND DEATH
    Eskimo, you've done the TR proud today
    • Up x 2
  10. SturmovikDrakon

DEAR LORD

That concept would fit right in the game and is definitely an upgrade over the alpha material

The biggest problem with the alpha model is that it was made to be held TOO LOW with the grip but that looks like something that could be held above waist-level

Man, please listen to the OP, SOE.

You made shotguns and SMGs be held at waist-level in third person (and they can still shoot above railings), I'm sure you're smart enough now to be able to code the MCG not to clip anything at waist-level
    • Up x 5
  11. zib1911

Awesome constructive post. I agree with everything you posted, some balancing things I am sure will change. In general you did a great job writing this out. Thank you.
  12. EliteEskimo

Thanks for the compliment Aesir,

It would be a good idea and save the developers time to work on the weapons that are most not living up to the Lore first I agree Aesir.

Regarding the ES Tank secondaries I have no idea why the developers changed them in the ways they did. They made the Enforcer into a rapid fire Halberd, which makes way more sense on a TR tank. Then they made the Saron rapid fire, even though a single shot pin point accuracy laser cannon made way more sense for the Vanu to have.
    • Up x 4
  13. ExarRazor

honestly, there's nothing really wrong with TR or NC.

they both have clear-cut faction identities, the TR having the relatively weak, but high capacity, high rate of fire weapons, and the NC having the more powerful per-hit wepaons, but low rate of fire, and generally larger CoF's

the VS is the one that needs to be redone, as our faction traits are SUPPOSED to be adaptability and manuevrability.

sadly, the TR and NC claim both of these to be 'OP' far too often.

the TR and NC are fine, VS is the one that needs a faction identity
  14. EliteEskimo

I would disagree, I think all factions need work to get back to their lore, but TR is the most lacking right now for the very detailed reasons stated in part 1 and 2 of the refurbishment thread. The TR's complaints about the mobile ZOE Max isn't for mobility, it's that for some players it warps for the Max making the damage increase a minor set back. The ZOE max doesn't both me personally and I've been able to deal with ZOE Maxes in my Max without lockdown. Anyhow TR are not fine, but please go make your own VS refurbishment thread if you feel they need more help then the TR do.
  15. Blarg20011

OK, my last post wasn't exactly constructive due to time constraints, but I am back now to provide some more suggestions to spice up TR weapons. To start with, some real world weapons and technologies that would mesh well with the TR.

Flechettes
    Flechettes are a technology that would work very well with the TR, although not completely conventional they are still a fairly mature technology today. Flechettes offer lower recoil and higher velocities, and they're just plain cool. Some examples of flechette rifles are the AAI ACR (which also happens to match the TR aesthetics) and the Steyr ACR. Both are shown below.
    [IMG]
    http://3.bp.************/-VAtvpmS25yY/TgH1aNJzGqI/AAAAAAAAALs/1_O1gAQ6uXM/s1600/acr1.jpg

Telescoping Polymer Case
    This ammunition is currently in development for use with the U.S. Military's LSAT program, designed to find a lighter, more reliable LMG and AR for the armed forces. Although currently experimental the ammunition shows great promise and the LSAT has performed well in tests.
    [IMG]

Caseless
    Caseless ammo is the holy grail of current small arms technology, promising huge reductions in weight and the ability to store far more ammunition compared to conventional ammo. I see no reason why the TR would have given up on this (fairly simple) technology considering modern weapons manufacturers have met with some success. All of the examples of this are really ugly, so I won't post a picture.

Other Unique Weapons
    The AN-94 is a very unique weapon due to its action and reciprocating barrel, which allows it to fire 2 round bursts at 1800 rpm and simultaneously delay felt recoil until both bullets have left the barrel. I feel a system similar to this would fit the TR very well, and give them a long range option that does not butt into the NC's high damage realm.
    [IMG]

The FN P90 is unique simply due to its innovative magazine feed system, which could add a lot of variety to TR weapons if something similar was added.
    [IMG]

Calico's weapons all use top mounted Helical magazines, which could add some more variety to TR weapons.
    [IMG]

Anyway, hope these spark some inspiration!
    • Up x 6
  16. SturmovikDrakon

All of these weapon concepts just made me realise something about most of the TR weapons (I'm not a gun expert, correct me if I'm wrong)

1) None of them have a magazine that's long enough to actually reach the barrel

2) None of them have ejection ports, which means they should be blowing up in our faces

As an example

[IMG]
    (casings fly out through the weapon)
    It feels to me... like they had it right during their first pass

[IMG]

What's amusing to me... is that some of the NC rifles do have ejection ports yet they're a faction that doesn't use cartridges

Maybe I'm being picky... I dunno', but I find this a pretty big fault if they were aiming for a conventional weapon design.
    • Up x 6
  17. Seranov

Weren't Flechette rounds banned by the Geneva Convention? I LIKE IT, let's use 'em.

Also, the AN-94 is what the SABR-13 should be, and I'm told that the recent buffs to that weapon have assisted in making it closer, if not exactly like it.

Anyway, I really dig your outlook on this whole subject, Eskimo, and I can't agree hard enough with the vast majority of your statements on the subject.
    • Up x 2
  18. Blarg20011

You are correct, also, weapons with the same damage and number of rounds have different sized magazines.

EDIT: upon closer inspection it appears that at least some TR weapons have ejection ports, however, they are located several inches behind the magwell.
  19. Aesir

Agreed, the Enforcer actually should be a fast and very big rocket of 90mm+ that hit's for big numbers but fires slow.

The NC by lore are rebels that are part professional mercenaries and part worker force. Mercs usually work in smaller numbers but are very highly trained because it is their job, similar to a TR elite soldier I might add.

Those Mercs probably thought tactics to the worker force which would allow them to be effective against a more organized opponent, meaning guerrilla warfare. So a very high first strike damage should be a big theme with NC weapons, which either comes from high burst damage or just bigger guns.

Shotguns are not the NC theme, Gauss or Mag Tech and having the bigger stick is the NC motto. We have the strength of the biggest Industry of all 3 factions backing us up compared to the TR or VS. We got all the Industry giants and working force!

So technology wise the NC are above the TR but still lower than the VS. The TR adapt NS replicas to their Armies needs, that's why they are the only true conventional tech faction of the 3. Something they compensate by knowing exactly what a Soldier needs out there, reliable and easy to maintain gear that works under almost every thinkable condition without failing.

Something the NC are still learning by gaining experience from their systems. Sure they know how to make heavy machinery that works but speed never was a theme in heavy Industry ... hauling more stuff per Vehicle was important there. The TR know that a Tank needs to have firepower and mobility above all, the NC are not directly lacking in firepower but definitely in mobility.

Come to think of it, the Prowler sounds like a common diesel engine, while the Vanguard roars like a damn stupide Abrams turbine! Talking about reliability and resource use ...
    • Up x 4
  20. Citizen H

"More so than any other empire, the TR is a professional military. The TR are a professional military whose weapons and vehicles are top of the line, shining and new, but conventional. The TR prefers to stick with what has worked for hundreds of years – accurate, high velocity bullets, and lots of them. Terran Republic weapons have the fastest firing rates, largest ammo capacities, and are generally designed to allow for maximum sustainable damage."

What this means to me:

-By all rights TR should probably have the shortest reload times of any faction. They're professional soldiers. They train day and night to be efficient. They should be better at handing their weapons than religious zealots and mercenaries.

-VS (and certain NC weapons) should probably see ROF decreases across the board. They are way too close to TR in terms of ROF, and that is the only way to accomplish a fix without buffing TR ROF (which SOE insists on not doing). Nobody should get a 600+ ROF gun except for TR as long as TR are denied 200 damage guns.

-TR should probably be the least affected by flinch. As a result of their arduous training, they just shrug off the pain. For that matter,VS should suffer from flinching the most and NC somewhere in the middle.
    • Up x 1