The TRAP

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Riddlley, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mustarde

Then don't buy it. I'm not really making a case for buying it, just giving some initial first impressions with the 150 kills I got with it this morning.

But the VR is a test-tube vacuum that will give you a distorted and incomplete view of how a weapon will perform. I only say that to caution you from making conclusions based on shooting stationary targets. The only thing the VR is good for when it comes to weapon testing is learning bullet drop, recoil patterns and testing attachment effects on weapons. But it won't tell you if a TRAP is better than a Vandal or HSR-1 in a real fight.
    • Up x 3
  2. SEMoslaw

If anything Vandal and HSR-1 will preform better in real fights it's easy to land whole burst shoot in VR but it wont work in real fight which means TRAP sux unless you are shooting stationary target in short or mid range.
  3. Beefylovelord

I understand his case but I'm not convinced. weapons don't magically become more or less accurate when targeting something on the move. VR lets me test target acquisition and time to kill under ideal conditions. Its not a huge stretch to estimate how a weapons going to function when the target moves, unless the Trap's bullets magically clump closer together and lead moving targets on their own.
  4. salembeats

After Auraxiuming the TRAP yesterday, I started working on the Vandal today.

The Vandal has:
    - Lowest projectile velocity for a semi-auto scout rifle
    - Better (best?) hipfire accuracy compared with other scout rifles
    - Best ADS movement speed compared with other scout rifles
    - NS-colored tracers

The TRAP, by contrast, has:
    - Highest projectile velocity for a scout rifle (same velocity as the SR7 BASR)
    - Higher RPM than semi-automatic scout rifles

In my playing so far, the Vandal and TRAP are as dissimilar as two guns in the same general category ("scout rifle") can get.
    The Vandal's optimal use so far for me has been at the shorter effective range for scout rifles. Low velocity makes distant shots on moving targets more difficult, hipfiring is better, CQB strafing is better, and NS gun audio and tracers help to keep you from being discovered behind enemy lines.
    The TRAP, on the other hand, has been very effective at the further limits of a scout rifle's effective range. The high velocity and burst fire make it easy to hit moving targets at the outskirts of a battle rifle's effective range. It is not particularly suited to CQB when compared with other scout rifles -- the TTK and alpha damage are both too slow.

So basically, in order of idealized effective ranges (from closest to furthest), we've got:

(SMGs)
    SOAS
    Vandal
    HSR
    TRAP
    KSR
    99SV
    (BASRs)
  5. DrankTHEKoolaid

I should have my TRAP review up Monday, but my first reaction after about 100 or so kills is definitely a positive one. Whether or not that's because it's really good, or I'm just in love with having something completely different to use on my infiltrator is still undetermined.
    • Up x 4
  6. Hoki

Its the versatility for me. 3.4x scope, laser sight, silencer.

This gun is all about the 2-shot silenced burst. The only time I find myself switching to 3-shot burst is for hacking an occupied turret, the 3-shot burst knife combo will take them out.

We better not say we enjoy it too much or they'll nerf it out of principle. :D
    • Up x 4
  7. DevDevBooday

This may be a paradox for forumside but can I think the TRAP is still a great gun even though I personally suck with it?
    • Up x 2
  8. PurplePeapleEater

I think it looks cool, but this design should have been a heavy squad weapon like the MSW-R. The gun is half the size as the guy carrying it for heavens sake. I can't complain about the other factions weapons because no one has killed me with one yet, but I was disappointed that we were the only people to not get a sniper rifle. I'm happy that there are so many people fond of the close quarters game this gun encourages. But to be honest, no one is going to be running around the continent long enough to need a gun as versatile as this one is trying to be. Even if you don't die, as you move on to the next engagement anyone can just pick up a different gun when you re-deploy. Good job on the design, but sometimes I wonder if the people who make these stats even play their own game...
  9. OldMaster80

I might be brutalized for posting this but... I'm a very mediocre player and I believe the TRAP is performing very well... maybe a little bit too much. Not saying it's terribly OP but I'm getting a higher K/D than usual with this. At close quarter it's outgunned by most of weapons but at mid range... oh my god! :eek:
  10. Tenebrae Aeterna

It seems that the TRAP has won out in this empire specific round, being the only faction specific rifle actually liked by the community. When it comes to empire specific MAX abilities...it's the NC shield, something that's still functional even though it's a bit lackluster. I really hope this isn't the fate of all faction flavored incorporation........one out of three being worth while.
    • Up x 2
  11. GoyoElGringo

I am so glad to hear that. Ever since they put it up on the test server I've been worried that the TRAP would outclass the SOAS-20.
  12. OldMaster80

After 3 intensive hours of TRAP I can just draw the concluson that it's a nice weapon but it's not OP at all. It's just as good as any other scout rifle, nothing more nothing less. It might have a little more range and be more effective at mid range, but this weapon is exactly where it should be.

Btw most of my outfit (BRTD) think the TRAP should be renamed CRAP.
  13. Tenebrae Aeterna

Yeah, I wasn't implying that the weapon was overpowered. I know that there's a fair share of TR who are a bit disappointing that they didn't get a true bolt-action, but the majority of feedback for the TRAP appears to be positive.
  14. Maljas23

Only downside for me is the small mag size.

Otherwise, I think its a very good scout rifle.
  15. Doc Jim

Daka daka daka daka daka daka daka etc.
  16. Mustarde

Some more thoughts after additional use.

2x burst is not very good damage output. I was getting owned by people EVEN after getting the drop on them... at ranges where the TRAP should be doing well. I started using the 3x burst in almost all situations. With the foregrip + pulling down on the mouse during each burst I was able to remain accurate at 50-70m. It feels like enough damage that I am killing people with similar efficiency to the HSR-1 and SOAS-20.

I'm now using 2x burst only beyond 70m or so, to take pot shots at players that I don't expect to be able to kill. More of a suppressive use of the weapon.

The suppressor is very quiet. I was surprised and pleased. Suppressor + 3x burst actually works, and I was able to flank much more effectively.

So my current use of the TRAP: Foregrip, 2x reflex - 3x burst primary, 2x burst beyond 70m or so. Sometimes suppressor in the right fight.

I think you'll see a lot of each once I collect some decent footage for a video.
  17. Cromell

It may simply be the case of the gun fitting you well. Like with SOAS, which is by many considered a bad or "ok" weapon at best, and it seems like I'm wrecking the house whenever I equip it. And I'm just an average player. Just enjoy it and don't worry about perceived OPness, because it's not. ;)

Also, took Vandal for a spin and holy crap, I like it. I stayed away from HSR because the ADS felt so sluggish, and Vandal has no issue with that. Running with iron sights/IRNV, flash suppressor and foregrip, I've been having a lot of fun with this thing. Overall both new infiltrator guns feel like a great addition to my arsenal, as I enjoy shooting stuff with both Vandal and the TRAP.

PS. God bless the 4th loadout slot, I have too many guns unlocked. :D
  18. Pikachu

I trialed the trap today and I like it. :D Everytime I kill someone I think "you just got trapped!".
  19. ikon

i wish single shot was taken off the fire selection.
    such a pain switching fire modes and if i wanted a single fire, id just use my vandal.

the triple shot is really quite amazing in close-med ranges, tho its a pain to get the hang of.
  20. Dragonblood

yeah, they should remove or change the single-shot-mode.
    And I recommend lasersights on the Trap. Just great to hipfire-bursting enemies with tripple shot-mode and equip a 4xscope for midrange sniping.