The TRAP

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Riddlley, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Riddlley

I've found 3.4x actually works really well, you keep the versatility by maintaining its usefulness at all ranges. Besides that, I've noticed it has very little, or no sway with 3.4x.
    • Up x 1
  2. Sworaven

Lol nice. Wish I could play for 18h straight.
  3. salembeats

;)
  4. cyb_

My thoughts exactly. I like the fugly rilfe.
  5. Sworaven

Sorry. 16. Math is hard ;D.
  6. Thor04

Don't listen

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  7. Dragonblood

hmm, aiming for head. Are 2x optcs enough for consistent headshots?
  8. salembeats

You're right -- there's no sway with any scope up to 4x.

I personally don't like the 3.4x scope on any weapon whatsoever.
  9. salembeats

My "suppressed" loadout for the gun utilizes a 2x scope.
    I generally use my suppressor at closer ranges (because of both velocity drop and damage drop).
    At these closer ranges (20-30m, give or take), the 2x scope is sufficient for aiming at the head with 3x burst.

It's not enough magnification for general un-suppressed use, which is why I use the 4x TMS for that.
    The TMS' magnification is perfect. The thin crosshairs give you an unobstructed view of where your projectiles are landing so that you can compensate and learn accordingly (I don't like the other 4x scope which uses the chevrons).
  10. salembeats

72.5kph wasn't bad at all -- it was even higher when I was playing during daytime and primetime, but the rate started to sink by a significant amount as primetime tapered off and the fights became stale.

Still, I had to finish it before anyone else did because I promised that I would. Too much caffeine to go to sleep now. :(
  11. Dragonblood

When you are awake again, you can tell me, what you think about the silencer on the trap. My concern is that a high bullet velocity might be mandatory to hit with the follow up shots.
  12. Sworaven

Definitely not bad at all!
  13. salembeats

It sounds like a staple-gun. A staple-gun of death.

The gun's base projectile velocity is rather high. In comparison to BASR projectile velocity, it is:
    the same as the SR7's, and
    higher than the M77B's.

Because of the high base velocity, the rounds still travel fairly quickly even once the velocity is reduced by attaching a suppressor.
  14. Dragonblood

Did anyone here come across stats or calculation, how the silencer influences the bullet velocity? I suppose it doesn't matter. Without silencer I can't "silence" a single player without being "silenced" shortly after by his/her team.
  15. AngersRevenge

I love it. An accurate long range burst weapon. Perfect for me.
  16. CptFirelord

I've been using it and simply have no plans to ever spend another cert on that weapon. It's supposed to be a sniper rifle, not a worse version of a Scout Rifle. The simple fact alone that it requires 2-3 headshots to kill at range is horrifying for a sniper.
  17. Gypsycream

I have no idea what everybody else is seeing in this gun. I find the HSR is better in pretty much every situation, except maybe up-close where they are both equally as terrible as each other.
    It feels nice to use, and I enjoy using it just because I find it difficult, but IMO it's mechanically nothing more than a poor-man's SABR-13.
  18. Ztiller

So you think that it would somehow be balanced to have an automatic sniper rifle that can OHK on headshots?
  19. CptFirelord

@Ztiller

No? Never have I said that. I'd love to have SOMETHING that has the option to OHK. Railjack can OHK, Phaseshift can OHK, TRAP can 3-hit kill IF they're headshots. Otherwise, it needs 8-9 body shots to kill. Pretty poor for a 'sniper rifle'.
    It needs a complete rework. As it is currently, it's worse than a Semi-Auto, BASR, Scout Rifle.. pretty much anything in the game (besides maybe the Lancer at AI).
  20. Tenebrae Aeterna

I think that there may have been a chance to do something like that.

Had they kept the initial concept of a three-shot-burst with the fully automatic firing mode, but gave the weapon high damage, it may have had the ability to be balanced through various tweaks to the design. The fully automatic mode would have to be completely uncontrollable with an extreme recoil and high bloom that, essentially, made it a terror tactic geared towards suppression. Basically, no one wants to run out when there's a stream of high caliber ammunition flying towards them even if the chances of them being struck are equivalent to a lightning strike. It's the same reason why people shy away from walking around in a lightning storm...the risk is there, even if it's slim to none.

The three-shot-burst would have a slow rate of fire...as would the automatic mode, but it would really come into play with the burst. Basically, a quick sniper could nail three targets in a single breath IF they were quick enough to line up three different targets within the short amount of time awarded by the breathing mechanic. If they failed to do so...they would be wasting a shot and potentially giving away their position through the sheer fact that they're firing three times in a fairly short amount of time.

The firing rate of this weapon wouldn't be what you expect from traditional fully automatic or burst oriented weapons...think:

Bang...Bang...Bang...

Instead of...

Bang.Bang.Bang.

Personally, I think that this would have worked...and at the very least they could have tested it. Ultimately it would have given the TR a weapon with a high skill cap, because that burst mode would work best when they were quick with their target acquisition. The fully automatic firing mode would have, essentially, been an "oh ****" mode for when someone crept up on them so they could force the enemy to run and switch to a sidearm before getting a better handle on the situation. That fully automatic mode could have been used in unison with other TR Infiltrators to create a potential pain field and suppress enemy forces.

I think that concept would have had a lot of promise and wish they would have actually tried it in the test server initially before all these changes went down...and added some damn scopes right off the bat. We really didn't get a chance to truly test these rifles out...they tossed them in half ***** and then listed partially to our feedback before doing what they wanted.

Now, it looks like they're going to end up exactly like the MAX abilities did...only this time the TR seem to have gotten the only viable rifle while the VS and NC got shafted. So, I guess that's good for TR...they needed something to makeup for the crap that is Lockdown.