The teleporting people are really getting out of control

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gunshooter, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zgunner

There really needs to be a ping/connection usage limit for players. Sorry to all you Euros and Aussies who want to play on US servers, but I've noticed a lot of you lagging like crazy. The reason I know is because I've been killed because of lag by 3 different people with EU in their name.
  2. Metsuro

But see the difference is I know what ping is, and clearly you dont. Ping is a round trip. Your ping to the server means it took half the time display for you to send the command to the server. Which it then process to return to a different player.

It doesn't matter how high the targets ping is. You wouldn't notice the change. Unless there the game designed poorly and hit or damage is done on the client side versus the server.

Because at a 250 ping. The server sends updates to target A in 120 ms to make the change. He than has to retact to it. Which would take the most the "pros" another 200+ to react and second the signal back from him to the server at 120 ms.

Alot of newer games like MMOs tend to add in a perceived 250ms delay as a method to balance high ping versus low ping as well. Does SoE use this? Not a clue.
  3. gunshooter

Except in a GOOD GAME that ISN'T MADE BY SOE (basically every fps ever), higher ping is never anything but a disadvantage for the person with higher ping.

It's the persons choice if they want to put themselves at a disadvantage and play with 150, or 200, or 250 ping. But IN GAMES WITH GOOD NETCODE it's not ANYTHING but a disadvantage. I'll decide what is "laggy" or not because it should ONLY HURT ME.
  4. Xasapis

Here's the thing. PS2 is one of the few games where a high ping player seem to teleport around. On pretty much every other shooter game, in the 10 or so years of history and the less than almost perfect connections we have today, people with lower pings always had the advantage. And not just from reaction time, but also due to packet loss and other issues.

Take Counterstrike, the grand daddy and very popular FPS that has still survived the test of time. Back in the day you could play with 350-400 ping, but your reactions were so slow, you could only just ambush and surprise people. People floating at 200 ping had a relaxed gameplay. Anyone below the 150ms territory was in the perfect zone and from that point on it was more on the player and less on the connection. Less than 50 and people were playing on the server, or on a network directly connected to the server.

There is no excuse really for warping, even if the trigger is a less than optimal ping. Hopefully the soon to come advertised optimisations will include a fix for it.
  5. Metsuro

This is only true on games were all hit detection is done server side. Ps2 does some things client side.
  6. gunshooter

I play Firefall which has 250ms lag compensation and 100% client side hit detection yet i've never ever seen a teleporting or warping player in that game.
  7. zgunner

Eh, not enough is done client side. For instance, when you get that terrain glitching bug, I have found it impossible to kill anyone. I even tried to run a few people over and nothing. So that bug itself basically removes you from the game world every couple seconds.
  8. SerialNumber1221

I agree and am in the exact situation as OP....

I'm an Aussie player but I roll on Genudine....I'm no beast, nor am I a cheat, just check my stats....but at times I get delayed hit marker and delayed kills and people then accuse me of hacking.....

http://www.planetside-universe.com/character.php?stats=serialnumber1221

I'm a gentleman about it, I restart my client and sometimes that fixes the problem, sometimes it doesn't....I notice the larger the battle, the more likely the issue can occur and its lag with a huge loss of frame rate...

I run top notch hardware - six core xeon with a gtx660, ssd, 24gb ram - my internet is a DSL - not the best - manages around 200k-300k up/down to west coast US, which is plenty for a fps, albeit it could be better....its like OP says, usually a connection like that would always put me at a disadvantage...and in this game its not really different but at certain times I can have a freak streak...

Anyway don't want to rant - my stats aren't exactly glamorous so I just wanted to point out that people seem to have a misconception that people with laggy connections are hacking or they are some sort of demigods or something....they just get a freak run every now and then...just like any other average punter...

I'm alpha squad, I invested in plenty of sc and I'm in the twelve month club to boot so I'm in it for the long haul....so don't call me a cheat or tell me to do self harm or threaten me in game with murder in real life because the game is doing exactly the same things as it did in beta when battles were intense....That's not my fault....Be a man/woman and deal with it just like I do when it happens to me.....

Oh, by the way, its only slightly better on Briggs, that server can also have similar issues in large battles so it is a code thing.....

My stats don't lie, I die, a lot!
    • Up x 1
  9. SenEvason

I only came across one guy that was warping due to bad connection, and he was pretty easy to kill. His body then proceeded to glitch out and hump a wall repeatedly.
  10. Deejay

I see the teleporting players all the time on Connery (West).

Don't try and feed us the "You are kids" or "You are a COD ******" because people disagree with your point of views (which are completely incorrect). You telling people to be mature? Give me a break.

I help with my clans Counter Strike and Team Fortress 2 community and I can GUARANTEE you that if you came in to play in our servers you wouldn't stay for very long with a 250 ping. You are SERIOUSLY going to try and tell me that a 250 ping ONLY puts you at a disadvantage?? It is ridiculously obvious when someone has a high ping in most FPS games, old or new, and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. You know a lot of CS and TF2 servers have a high ping kicker for people with 200+ ping? I wonder why...? We have to manually add our european friends to a file just to make sure they don't get auto kicked from the server when they come play on our counter strike server. And you know what? They lag, stutter and jump all over the damn place....you know why..........? BECAUSE THEY HAVE OVER 200 PING.

ALTHOUGH, I'm sure there is plenty of work to be done on the netcode for this game...but trust me...your high ping is detrimental to all the players around you..
  11. Solafide

It depends on the game, but there's many games that high ping gives you an advantage, and people use it, even make it so they ping high or tap, and tapping is by far the hardest thing to fight against..
  12. gunshooter

People like you just don't understand anything at all. I "wouldn't last very long" because you and your "community" have no idea what ping is and you probably think that someone with a "super high" 200 ping makes the server lag or some ridiculous ********. Actually, you do, because you just said it. The entire reason that ping kick scripts exist is because of misconceptions and ignorance.

Under no circumstances will 200 ping (which isn't high at all) on its own ever cause a player to "lag, stutter and jump all over the place" in a source engine game. I think my favorite part is how you seem to think that there is a magical threshold where people mystically start to lag. 199 ping? That's fine. 201, though? Now that's teleportation territory.

Americans...
  13. Metallic

How can you even see your ping in Planetside2?

Sorry about noob question.

Edit:
    Since when is n.o.o.b an obscene word?
  14. Daedrick

ahahah AHAHAH AAAAAAHAHA...

What the hell, really? The ignorance in this thread, my god. I hope that guy was trolling.
  15. Slaint

This can easily be disproven by jumping on a euro server from the US or vice versa in virtually any FPS. I've tested it numerous times, and its a joke with the clans and people I've played with competitively for years. If we are ever bored, we go to a german server for a while (not too long, its mean) and completely wreck them. I mean 10:1 KDRs wreck. Its because no matter how good the "netcode" is, games always overcompensate (or interpolate) in favor of the higher ping. Players with high ping connections in best case scenarios appear glitchy, are problematic to predict, and therefore hits don't register on where they seem they should be. Its simply because the server has to assume (interpolate) their movements/locations/actions/heading more frequently than a player with a low ping.

When I play at off hours after a nights work (7am eastern) I see this latency lag all the time where I know I'm shooting the **** out of people, but the hits just don't register fast enough, and the players movement just isn't fluid. This almost never happens in the evenings eastern time, and you could literally graph the competitions pings based on my KDR at different times of the day.

Save your patronizing for someone else son. As a 30s something adult whose played FPS competitively and been gaming since the early 90s, I mock your ignorance and complete inability to recognize what latency lag looks like.
    And by all means, look me up on Jaeger. I finish most nights as infantry with anywhere from 3-5:1 KDRs.. pal.
  16. gunshooter

If you keep pretending to know what you're talking about it might just come true. That's a lot of words with no substance.

how about this: Pick an FPS. Your choice. I will join a US server and run around in circles while you try to hit me. You can fraps it.

There will be no "hit reg" issues. There will be no warping. There will be you, who won't post the video and will stop posting immediately when you realize your made up ******** doesn't hold up.

ps: you're not a "competitive player," you're no one
    • Up x 1
  17. Slaint

Gee, you really hurt my feelings.

How about this, I don't need to prove what I and many other gamers already know. High pings are disallowed on virtually every competitive gaming server for every game in the last 2 decades. The netcode does not, nor ever will exist that can bring fluidity, predictive movement and proper hit detection on a player with a high ping. I'd tell you to do some research, but its clear that you're wise in your own conceit, so it wouldn't do any good.

Oh ya, professional career making more $ than 99% of competitive gamers > playing video games for a living.
  18. DeathFaith

Have to consider ALL the ppl forcing this game on rust buckets that cant even deliver client side and server doing its best to follow when the person's computer cant even process the game how can the server display it any better ?
    I dont even think there is a lock on requirements from the game i've heard of ppl running this on very old core 2 duo 1st gen with 1gb ram and a cheese card......
  19. Nocturnal7x

How do you know your ping?
    • Up x 1
  20. ArenSteele

I've never noticed a bad ping myself, or a slow connection, but I do get that graphics glitch from time to time, where the world flashes in and out, and the terrain and objects are invisible. I discovered how hard it is for the enemy to hit me, since I accidentally (Since I could barely see where I was going) ended up toe to toe with 4 TR, and managed to kill 3 of them, and it took them like 15 seconds to kill me. Usually one TR that close can kill me in less than 1 second. It was like I was only getting hit by every 10th bullet
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.