[Suggestion] The support medic, the patient and the combat medic

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halkesh, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Halkesh

I'd work on ideas to solve the problems the medic face since the begining of the game. Here are the problems I've been focused on :

1. Blind medic/patient syndrome, patient running away from medic
    2. Triage is nearly useless
    3. Depending on his loadout, sometime a medic can't heal himself
    4. Reviving is faster than healing, actually making medics a necromancer
    5. There is only 1 choice on the tool slot and medic can't defend themselves while they have their medical applicator in the hands.

1 – Better HUD
    Let's assume medic are willing to revive and patient are willing to get healed (for other cases, they are beyond any help). Sometimes in the heat of battle, you can't see / hear everything and medic walk on dead ally they don't see and patient run away from the medic.
    The solution is the improve the HUD so people that claim "I need a medic" will see a cross representing the 3 nearest medic's distance and direction (like ESF engagment radar but for ally medic).
    Medic's HUD will show the 3 nearest ally within 15m that need a revive every time they reload their weapons (you can disable this by not picking medic) or if they have their medical applicator in the hands (until they switch weapon, extend the range to 50m).
    HUD also show the elevation difference, based a a simple color-code (you can change the color in your parameter, color given are default). Heal cross and dead skull colors :
    • blue-sky (1 floor up, at least 3m higher than you)
    • white (standard, same elevation)
    • brown-earth (1 floor down, at least 3m lower than you).

2 & 3 – Triage
    Triage is buffed both in how effective it is and how often you can effectively use it, but it no longer steal engineer's job. Note that this improvement may allow medic to heal himself out of combat or to use the AoE to inform ally there is a medic nearby (due to "you are healed by char_name").
    • Health regeneration of everyone within 5m is increased to 30/35/40/45/50 health per sec
    • It work while you're in a vehicle or as long as you have your medical applicator in the hands.
    • It no longer work repair MAXes.
    • It stack with other regenerations source but not with himself (in case of multiples medic)

4 & 5 – Medical applicators
    Healing capacity is capped due to balance but it make medic spare too much time to heal their patients, taking more time than simply revive him. Also, the medic can't do anything for the shield which is a bad thing : medic healing ability should be able to reduce ally's downtime.
    Medic lack choice for their tool slot and while they're supporting ally, they can't defend themselves.

As a solution, I've completely changed the current Medical Applicator [MA] and added 2 new tools to the list.
    All these MA share the ability to heal their target instantly, but they have a cooldown depending on the model (the cooldown doesn't prevent to use the tool for revive). This ability may be useful to saving ally from the dead without making them invincible and will save a lot of time for the medic since the healing system will be changed to "clic and go" (from "maintain LMB for 5sec").
    The tool choice will be based on the medic's will to specialize in support, combat or a little of both.
    • Medic with a Combat tool have their hands free so they can continue to fight while supporting ally, but they reduce their support capability to the minimal (triage don't work with this tool, they can't reduce the downtime of their ally and the range is reduced)
    • Medic with a Support tool can reduce all's downtime and may save them from the death but they need to their tool in the hand for that. When they revive ally, they have more change to survive.
    • Medic with the default tool can defend themselves with their sidearm and reduce the downtime of their ally.
    Medical applicators
    Everything marked by a * mean this value depend on the tool rank. I'm not a dev so these values my be unbalanced, focus on the tool's concept, not the specific value.
    I assume you currently need 2-1sec to revive infantry and 6-4sec for MAXes. If it's not the case then it's a mistake : I don't plan to change the time needed to revive.

Helmet Integrated Medical Applicator
    Best choice for "medium assault". The HIMA allow you to stay focused on the fight while being able to support your team from time to time.
    • You can use this tool while weilding any weapon/item simply by pressing the key you normally use to equip your medical applicator, key 3 by default).
    • Instantly give 500 HP to the target. You can heal once every 9-6 sec*
    • Revive infantry in 3-1,5 sec*
    • Revive MAX in 6 sec at all ranks. MAXes are revived with 7,5-20%* health.
    • Range is limited to 2m.
    • Triage passive doesn't work with this tool, the medic must be inside a vehicle.

Sidearm Integrated Medical Applicator (default)
    The SIMA allow the medic to defend himself while still have the ability to support his teammate, making them recover faster.
    • You can instantly switch to your sidearm when you have the SIMA in your hands, and vice-versa.
    • Instantly give 500 HP to the target and her personnal shield start regenerate at normal rate (~85/sec or up to 165/sec if the target have ASC). You can heal once every 6-4 sec*
    • Revive infantry in 2-1 sec*
    • Revive MAX in 6-4 sec*. MAXes are revived with 7,5-20%* health.
    • Range is limited to 6m.
    • Triage passive work only when the medic is inside a vehicle or have his tool in the hands (but not when his sidearm are in his hands).

Guardian Medical Applicator.
    The GMA is the best choice for dedicated support medic. allow to grant huge amount of shield to ally, making them recover instantly in most case, and that might be enough to save them from the death.
    • Instantly give 500 health and regenerate the target's health by 500 point over 4-3sec. If the target's health is full, extra health is converted to shield point. No cooldown.
    • If you use your tool on a target that benefit from the heal over time, it override the heal over time but does not grant the instant 500 health.
    • Revive infantry in 2-1 sec*, the target is revived at full shield.
    • Revive MAX in 6-4 sec*, the target is revived at 20-35%* health.
    • Range is limited to 6m.
    • Triage passive work only when the medic is inside a vehicle or have his tool in his hands.
    • Up x 1
  2. freeAmerish

This is in old suggestion. Let them hold the tool in one hand and in the other a Sidearm. You can find similar things in other games.
    It would cause some rethinking of key bindings, and probably it would be without ADS.
  3. AtckAtck

Let's be clear here, it is not like your suggestion is bad, but i dont think any of it would fix the core problem:
    And that is that not many veterans play medic, thus a lot of beginners play medic because of easy certs.
    And that alone is the core problem. Uncerted Med tools everywhere, they take friggin forever to revive. And they run into every impossible situation just to get a revive through, because !XP!. If the patient dies instantly short after totally wayne for them.

You can instantly see who is a seasoned medic player:
    - switches back to main gun after EVERY revive.
    - does no useless revives
    - tries to kill before revive
    - never tries to run behind players that need heal but don't stop. (I prefer just shooting them in the back, it's way faster to stop them by killing. ;) )

You'd be surprised how fast one can revive with a fully certed med tool while moving after the room is clear.
    The medic is the 2nd most tanky class after the heavy in this game and clearly an assault class, if played right.
    Playing a succesfull medic in combat and looking after your clumsy teammates dying all the time is a very stressful job. And often you get bad vibes if you don't want to play personal medic for someone. So a lot of seasoned players choose to rather play another class and flame themselves about "having no medics around". :rolleyes:
  4. FateJH

Not necessarily; we already have one layout where you can shoot either the left-hand weapon, the right-hand weapon, or both.
  5. freeAmerish

What I mean, currently if you use the medic tool, you heal with left mouse button and revive with the right.

Now we give Medics a pistol in one hand and the other holds the tool. To fire the sidearm should pobably be the left button, but now there is only the right button left for reviving and healing.

I don´t know if the keys for revive and heal can put wherever I want, or using the same key for both is doable in the current game.
  6. Ven Moonwall

Long ago. In a land before DBG, when wild Higbys roamed Auraxis seeking things to fix. Med tool used only one button to heal and revive
  7. freeAmerish

Don´t make me feel sad :confused:

First I hated this change. But now a days I find it useful to have separated buttons for heal and revive.

Sure this would probably be the easiest way, left button to fire the sidearm right button for reviving and healing.
  8. Halkesh

What do you think of the concept of instant healing with a cooldown ? Improved triage ? Improved HUD ?

It was changed to heal-left / revive-right only 2 years ago. Before, you had the LMB for both revive and heal, so dual wielding MA + pistol is doable, at the cost of ADS.
    My suggestion allow to use the pistol with ADS. ;)

That's mainly a problem between chair and keyboard, since I can't do anything about that I'd suggested thing that will improve medic's gameplay from my point of view. :p
    About your main problems (revive duration for noob and xp-*****), do you think changing the base xp from revive so it depend on how long the patient lived since he accept the revive will improve things ? For example : 0xp if he die within 2 sec, 40xp if he die after 2sec but before 5sec, 75xp if he survived at least 5 sec.
    For the revive duration, you have 2 solution :
    Uncerted tool take a long time to revive but i don't see the problem. You're still revived at 100% health and it should create problem for the patient since he's already dead and attempting to revive someone stop his 30sec death timer. Also, if the medic die before the revive is completed, then it was because the area wasn't secured enough to start the revive.
  9. FateJH

I thought the standard Combat Medic procedure for expediently healing an ally is to shoot the patient dead before reviving him?
  10. Halkesh

I already to see the "Whoops, wrong button" messages. xD