The striker

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FROG55JON, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Tommyp2006

Well ya, you'll still get hit if you don't move. When you IR or flare a striker missile, the rocket continues in a straight path like a dumbfire.
  2. baka

I've been playing with a Striker lately and find them highly entertaining and a useful mental exercise in keeping my attention focused upon my surroundings.
    If I lock on, start firing and my target goes behind something, there is a VERY good chance the missiles I fired last will immediately veer to one side and hit whatever is next to me.

I find the striker is best used when I am planning on standing out in the open with little to nothing from horizon to horizon to get between any missile and the target during flight.
    If there are rolling hills, buildings or trees, I do not bother using it on ground vehicles. If there are any trees, buildings or mountains, I do not bother using it on aircraft. A Grounder will reliably do more damage per firing against an aircraft than hoping that you can land 3 or more missiles out of a volley of 5 from a Striker.
  3. Ganelon

You really shouldn't rely on what visually happens in the game. The Striker does not go through terrain. The only ones seeing it go through terrain are the ones on the receiving end, however if you've ever actually used the Striker you'd know it never goes through terrain, it goes around it. The rockets visually going through terrain is simply a fault between client side hit detection and the server relaying incorrect information.

It's unbelievable how often I've had to say this.

No, no they don't.
  4. Jube

I am a TR that uses the Striker on a regular basis so I can tell you from the users perspective what is happening here.
    The terrain you are using for cover will not help you if you stay there after the rockets are in route.
    Notice the flight path of the rockets as they are being fired, they arc up higher that the hill that you are on. When this happens they maintain "Lock-on" and come down on you. You'll notice that the last rocket fired at you which did not arc up in the same manner hit the top of the hill. This happened because the user was losing lock as you backed down the hill.
    The rockets do not go around comers but they do come down on targets if they have the altitude to do so.

That being said I don't like the "Lock-on" mechanic of the Striker and never have. I would much rather they changed it to a fly-by-wire guidance, thus making it a skill based weapon that gives no notice to the target that I am firing at it.
  5. Chipay

'You really shouldn't rely on what visually happens in the game"
    Okay, then i want my ZOE max to not glow anymore.
    HA should no longer glow when they activate their shield
    Infiltrators should go completely stealth instead of vagely invisible
    While we're at it, also remove tracers because they're useless.

If i see a Striker missile missing me then it should miss me, untill that doesn't happens it goes through terrain for me, the person on the recieving end who does it's best getting into cover and dodging the missiles.
  6. ent|ty

I've used Striker quite a bit now, with the MAX resource nerfs, I cant AA regularly anymore.

I haven't noticed my striker rounds going through terrain. Maybe once in awhile, that is probably about netcode, the same netcode that gets me killed in other situations; I say fair is fair.

That being said, I wish my VS Phoenix worked with the same ease as the Striker.

And folks, dont buy the NS Annhilator, waste of money; very weak and takes forever to lock, and with many esamir changes, or continent design, will get cancelled by loss of LOS long before you could lock on with other weapons.
  7. whitupiggu

The annihilator has about 20% lower dps and has the same tracking as the striker. I bought it and haven't regretted it. After all that time with the crow im really enjoying being able to hit moving targets.
  8. ent|ty

Oh nm.. just stop postin on your alts.
  9. whitupiggu

10. Ganelon

Impossible with clientside hit detection. And do you really think that only applies to Strikers? I've seen enough rockets miss my Prowler but the damage still registered.

Fact of the matter is, hit detection is in favour of the person firing the shots. And has nothing to do with the nonsense you were rambling about.
    • Up x 1
  11. ent|ty

Ok then, so I'm going to go ahead and say you're not qualified to defend the Annihilator as a viable weapon, especially against other lock on types, because you clearly don't use it..

Your own weapons use list supports my statement.

Not sure why you posted about it, unless you just wanted to argue, because clearly you dont have any or enough experience to even say so.

Don't worry, I dont use it either; because it sucks.
  12. Sossen

You can never stop the magrider zerg with lock-ons. The ability to strafe lets you get behind cover between shots, the magburn sends you right to the next cover.
  13. Chipay

14. Morticai

I've got a bazooka, your argument is invalid. I mean, really invalid. The visual inconsistencies as a consequence of poor attention from developers should never be used as a justification for intentional features to be adjusted.
  15. Zipper Bear

I've seen this happen personally on my striker. BUT you're confused. If a player is good and is moving around, all 5 striker missiles will fall dead in the air, no exceptions. HOWEVER, I have found a few occasions where because a pilot was sitting still at a fairly close range, I was able to launch my missiles, and have the first one go for the flare, while the next two hit the plane BEFORE they could change vectors. It's not an overpowered weapon, and more so bad pilots not addressing threats.
  16. Slattjaw

When will people learn to read the descriptions on weapons. The Striker is a Lock-On Rocket Launcher that fires heat seeking missiles. Just because you broke lock after the missiles have been launched doesn't mean you are safe from the heat seeking missiles. The main benefit the striker has is that it uses 1 lock-on for 5 missiles, unlike the other Lock-On rocket launchers that require you to reset your lock-on.

Honestly SOE should just drop the term "lock-on" and use something like "SMART Missile" That way people will not get confused and realize that the missile can alter its path to avoid obstacles and locate the marked target.

Is the damage output pretty high? Yes it is, drop its DPS to be slightly higher then the other "lock-on" faction specific rocket launchers. But then you might want to address the no dumb-fire option unlike the other launchers.

And to the individuals who say they get hit after using flares maybe what it is happening is you are using the flares a bit too late. The 1-2 hits you get are the first 2 missiles connecting before you get out of their path and the last 3 just keep on going. Hard to determine with client side hit detection.

BTW the first video is a little misleading. The rocket you see hit the cliff was a dumb-fire rocket fired from the guy in the middle of the road. The striker is fired from next to the spawn room and the first rocket goes up the cliff to hit the target. Do not know why the rest of the rockets show a straight path to the mountain, coding problems with pathing issues. But if you watch there are 5 connects so he never broke the 1 lock required by the striker. If he had popped smoke and the missiles hit it would be another story.

The Second video made me laugh. Strikers are broken because 15-20 guys stand on the air-pads firing at the same target... it was amazing to watch all those worthless missiles being fired, you know the ones not needed to bring down the target.

The last video had me on the floor. Go to VR training and grab a faction specific "lock-on" launcher and attempt it with just one shot, amazing how it maintains lock even after you have almost turned 180 degrees. So that means all "lock-on" launchers are broken not just the striker.
  17. Morticai

The mentioned results are due to a single unmentioned detail: When strikers lose their target, they don't spin out of control. When they are without a target, they literally continue flying in a straight line until their maximum distance is met and they detonate, or they hit something (in this case, your tank, which did not move despite having several missiles locked on). The trick is to smoke and move.

Video evidence will be needed for this.
  18. Shockwave44

Striker and annihilator use the same mechanics.

Have a nice day.

19. Pax Empyrean

The Annihilator lacks dumbfire as well. That's the weapon I compare the Striker to most often, since it shares the same target versatility.
  20. The King

On your screen, the one receiving the damage, it appears that it will do that.
    However, the players who launch the strikers, they go around...

It's a visual bug/glitch... It's not really going through the mountain, as has been said many many many many times.

The Vulcan is not even close to being overpowered.
    It's balanced at best. Go use the vulcan vs the saron or enforcer or the halbred. You'd wish you had the others.

This actually happened one time to me. I've fired 1000s of striker rockets. I am going to assume, it's a very rare occurrence.