The stat tracking and leaderboard...really?...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SKYeXile, May 9, 2013.

1. SKYeXile

So it still makes me pretty annoyed now that we have played time as a stat but then we have stats like "total kills" and "total XP" as leaderboard stats along with "total played time" as a leaderboard. why doesn't the leader board have the option to be sorted by the only tangible skill based stat that's left in the game?

Lets go over the stat options:

Total kills: can be made up with playtime.
    XP/BR: again can easily be made up with playtime.
    K/D: While more of a skill based stat than the above 2, anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional, but again its greatly attributed to play style.
    total playtime: Obvious lol stat, why is this even a "leader"board stat, like its something to be proud of? who can stand playing a boring game the longest maybe?

What you need for a more accurate representation of skill is a stat that then then dived by playtime, XP would be ideal for this because it covers what everybody does, killwhores and support players alike it can can be manipulated by SOE to reward harder tasks more, the problem is this though that SOE made it so XP generation is greatly influenced by boosters and sub, making it totally meaningless.

Therefore the Only and the best stat to track is Kills/playtime, its the only one left to measure a players efficiency.

What would a leaderboard like this look like you wonder? well here is planetside stats top 1000 by XP resorted by KPH, Thanks Aftiel for making the spreadsheet and some guy I cant remember the name of for the code to convert playtime in D,H,M to decimal hours.

[IMG]

Enjoy!

For reference, putting the data into the spreadsheet was more entertaining than n00bhunt 2012.
  2. Killy80

Kills / playtime is just as meaningless as KPD. A true formula for skill must take ANY playstyle into account a find an appropriate weighting. In PS2, the weighting for kills would have to be very low, because killing is simply easy.

And btw, good job making up a scoring which puts you at the top. Surprise!
    • Up x 3
  3. MaxDamage

Plenty of people log in socially, muck around, have outfit organised non-combat events, check the status of fight, alt tab to check websites, etc..

Playtime means nothing.

In fact none of the stats mean much of anything except to the player themselves and what they are seeking to achieve.
    I'm happy with that.
  4. theholeyone

Isn't SPH a better metric? And one that is already implemented anyway.
  5. SKYeXile

no, as i mentioned, because of boosts and sub effectively doubling it, its a meaningless stat, but yes if it weren't for that it would be the ideal stat...too late for that now though unless SOE are tracking base XP/H on the backend.
  6. ThundaHawkPS

Eh.

KPM is easy to spike if dedicate yourself to it. Shotgun LA on towers or farm infantry with the pre-nerf lib/prowler. MAX suit indoors 24/7. Pre-nerf UB nade launcher over the old tech plants.

I don't doubt my ability to get over 2.2-2.4 KPH on a fresh character playing shotgun LA/rocket podder/MAX nonstop but it'd get boring playing only those styles to ***** stats. Frankly I don't care.

Another way to keep your KPM high to never repair base turrets/gens or defend and secure bases under attack by 5 or fewer enemies.

If they divorce score-per-min/hr from exp boosters it'll be more valid.
  7. Badname3073

It depends on your definition of "efficiency". Why gunning in a liberator 24/7 is "efficient"? What exactly is "efficient" about it?
    • Up x 1
  8. BlueSkies

So is your metric (namely, killwhoring as a playstyle), but congrats for finding a metric that puts you on top
    • Up x 2
  9. Pat Cleburne

New leaderboard calculation which puts the OP in the top spot. Seems legit. :)
    • Up x 3
  10. W0rthy

OP wants bragging rights for raking up ESF easy kills since day 1, instead of playing teamplay and challenging yourself with different weapons, classes and underdog situations?

Fine you got it. :rolleyes:

I'm quite sure if you played a bit more as actual infantry, it wouldn't be as n00bhunt but don't let that fact bruise your hyperinflated ego.
  11. LahLahSr

How about a leader board that shows only "Whohadmostfun/hour/average" - it is after all a game and it's purpose is to entertain, no?

People who get caught up in this are either too impressionable (weak-willed) or too oblivious to fully appreciate the experience.

The availability of the data, allowing people to come up with their own metrics, is a step forward. For everyone else, peace be with them if they find some validation. It changes nothing for the rest of us.
  12. SKYeXile

A lighting or magrider is more efficient than a liberator.
  13. Badname3073

• Up x 1
  14. theholeyone

I think they are working on doing it that way. Seem to recall something about separating score from XP on the roadmap.
  15. Killy80

Is it? So a lighting can fly people now over to the battle?
    You can't compare two things and say "that's more efficient" without specifying in WHAT they are supposed to be efficient.

And I know your answer will be killing, which again is no meaningful metric alone.

Lightings can fight tanks too and net a low killing rate. Yet, a lighting doing that may net a low score but be infinintely more useful for the team than a lighting with HE farming infantry from a distance.
  16. Free

Kills per hour is the only stat that has ever really held weight. One caveat is that it is heavily influenced by total populations, that is to say that lower populations will inherently impart lower kills per hour.
  17. W0rthy

I just noticed your sig. So you basically haven't played since Feb 22, where you no doubt racked up a high kd and a lot of kills by esf and lib farming when aa was virtually nonexistant, before air was nerfed, and before people got better certed.

And now you wish to be dubbed the most skilled player in planetside 2 by using a statistic that puts you in #1 because you're unhappy with the leaderboard? (you're not #1 in it, that's the problem)

:cool:
    • Up x 3
  18. Killy80

No it's not. KPH means absolutely nothing. It doesn't tell how much you helped your team, it doesn't even tell about your playstyle.
  19. SKYeXile

at killingwhoring...

and ESF is considerably worse at kill whoring than the lightning, mag or lib....dont worry i made videos for how to lightning.

you dont see any ESF's sitting there clearing whole building rooftops, hull down farming AMS's... or killing people out of line of sight.
  20. SinerAthin

Another problem with Kills per hour is that it would discourage supportive play, and encourage killstealing.

Not to mention, in a team; some people will have to do somewhat mundane tasks. Such as watching an empty lane for incoming enemies, which will give you relatively few kills; but could save you from the disasterous result that would occure if you got flanked by a Light Assault.

We need stats that take the focus away from the individual player, and onto the Faction/Outfit/Group.
  21. Killy80

Exactly. And that makes kills compared to ANY time (minutes/hours/playtime/whatever) a bad metric.