The Snipers Union - Regarding OHK.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by SnipersUnion, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Mustarde

To be honest, I'd rather have a reason to chose different weapons instead of pretending there is some special difference between three nearly identical weapons.

And even with this change, I think most of you could pick one rifle and be just fine. It's the full time snipers that may have a reason to cert into the others.
    • Up x 4
  2. Scudmungus

Aye - now I'll have my:

- Suppressed RAMs for walkabout, safe that I can take a pot shot at.. pretty much anything, or hole up and farm.
    - Armistice for really messy point defense.
    - SOAS-20 for point man duties, foot zerging and assaults.

..which, is a nice sweep of tools to enjoy choosing from.

Walkabout.

It's not about farming cert my friend.
    It's not about SPM my friend.
    It's not about kill streaks or making videos my friend.

It's about being out there. Alone. In the Bush.
    Just you, your rifle, and the world.
    Feeling the land beneath your feet.

Seeing what you can see.
    Going where you can go.
    Shooting what you want when you want to.

Spiritual. A story from the dream-time.
    Quiet like. Listen my friend.
    The world sings its song.

You feel like Mick Dundee.
    Don't know who Muck Dundee is?
    Exactly my friend.

Time to go Walkabout.
  3. Tenebrae Aeterna

True,

I'll be dead set on getting the Parallax, just like I favored the Barret 50.cal in Delta Force: Land Warrior. I'll probably still get some of the other rifles though, I often used the PSG-1 in DF:LW as well. The V10, probably won't go for it...but it depends on how they intend to tweak it. They expressed that they intend to go over all the rifles and make them more suited for a designated role...so we'll see just how many I intend to get as time passes.

I'm just smitten that I can enjoy my Parallax at 300m.
  4. Tenebrae Aeterna

Well...

They had this thread, they had me ranting about long ranged sniping in massive walls throughout the forum, they had others frequently liking these posts, commenting themselves, and even run and gun oriented players saying that a range cap was silly. Then they had their own graphs showing the spm, comparable to the other classes weapon statistics, with the knowledge that many still used the bolt-actions at closer ranges and not just long...

It all boiled down to the fact that it was being done for frustration alone...not balance. I just honestly didn't think that they would ever change their mind...I'm shocked, and very pleased. I just hope it stays like this...
  5. Darkelfdruid_LOL

Until this hits live - I'm not holding my breath
    • Up x 1
  6. m44v

Yeah, but SOE isn't neglecting just the infiltrator, they weren't aggressive in fixing harassers, ZOE, AV turrets, etc, and the air game has been in a crap state since release, so our class isn't special in that regard.

I'll reiterate that long range sniping was already dead thanks to nanoweave, just because you could snipe the players that didn't pack nanoweave doesn't make it alright, because the percentage that do, the players that will switch to NW in their next respawn and the players that use it because they know they are sniper bait makes the activity just not worth it unless you're in the top 5%. Fortunately we both got what we wanted, but sometimes you can't have it your way, and the cap was the less bad poison.

Now sniping is back to where it was at release, lets just not forget that the class is still as broken as it was, because in this team based game where any class can be effective at killing infantry and infantry is the only thing the infiltrator can kill, the only reason a squad will pick one infiltrator is for dart spamming and occasionally, hacking. Of course not many infiltrators make much fuzz about it.
    • Up x 1
  7. SnipersUnion

Have to say I agree. However the next PU is only next week. I hope they stick with what they have gone with here, reaction seems positive, and not just from us. Let's see what happens over the weekend.

I think that's perfectly fine, for example I have only unlocked one alternative for my medic, the best all rounder I felt, and do fine with it, but If that were a class I mained I would certainly cert into more and experiment to find ones more suited to my specific needs or play style, or the different situations I could find myself in.

New players always gravitated toward the third tier rifles anyway, especially with the second tier being the same price.

I do agree though and would like to see more variation in the rifles but other than cosmetics, sounds, or restricting the use of certain scope for each, I don't feel there is enough of a distinction that would make SOE actually work on it. Perhaps the infiltrator update if we are lucky. Reload and rechambering speeds are changing too, I feel this will be the biggest aspect outside of bullet drop to distinguish each rifle.

What kind of differences would you like to see?
  8. Vaphell

How long can one be pissed at everything without suffering from mental breakdown?
    I guess most infiltrators already abandoned all hope, simply switched or stopped caring in order to protect their sanity and now just just farm kills and auraxiums if they feel like it. I know i did, now using impetus to complete the SASR line and SMGs from time to time. Terminals in the open are on their way out, hacking turrets is mostly not worth it, i find AA useful to troll ESFs and AV to kill infantry but everything else eats their dedicated turrets for breakfast either head on or by exploiting limitations. So darts darts darts kills kills kills it is.
  9. Daimond

The current new changes to the bolt drivers actualy makes sense, and works for the class. Although I can see the dumb P2W people crawling out of the wood works on this, as you have to buy better weapons now to gain longer OHK distances.
    So far I like the new changes to bolts as gives upto 400m DMG drop on them such as these are NC weapons :)
    NC14 & LA80 = 750-400dmg @ 400m and has a OHK cap of 250m (currently bugged still works upto 300m)
    Longshot = 800-400 @ 400m and a OHK cap of 300m
    SAS_R = OHK cap of 200m
    Have not tested outside of 300m much yet, as its hard to get angle in VR at thoughs ranges :)
  10. bulletchaser666

i will hold all opinion on this subject until its put in live and i've played a decent amount with this update, though i have a fear this may become a very bad thing with the iron sighted rifles. as many COD players will see what this really does.
  11. efil4mocx

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I have tears rolling out of my eyes. For ONCE.
  12. ArcKnight

thats what a sniper rifle is built for -_-

a snipers job is to kill his/her enemies from a distance without them being able to counter it
  13. ArcKnight

I agree with you

there are only 2 things that I like above all else in a game
    1. sniping
    2. and looting
  14. m44v

I would ditch sniper rifles any day in exchange of a useful ability like vehicle hacking.
  15. Tenebrae Aeterna

The only way I would ever ditch sniper rifles is if we had some damn good melee oriented gameplay.
  16. z1967

How about this thing? http://tinyurl.com/mkp2xhu
    Slow attack speed and very little damage from the front. I would love it (Everyone else, meh).
  17. Tenebrae Aeterna

No idea,

So long as I can be a stealthy assassin that scares the pants off people whenever they're alone, I'm good.
  18. AdamRah

WE HAVE SEMI AUTO BOLT ACTIONS NOW
  19. ADUILO

TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK AND USE PUNCTUATION

ALSO WHICH SEMI AUTO BOLT ACTIONS ARE YOU REFERRING TO
  20. AdamRah

YOUR USERNAME IS IN CAPS SO DON'T PATRONIZE ME, AND THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM, YOU'RE NOT A MEMBER OF SOE, KEEP THY MOUTH SHUT BATTLERANK 32 ANYWAYS THERE'S GOING TO BE AN ATTACHMENT CALLED STRAIGHT PULL BOLT THAT LET'S US CHAMBER A SHOT WITHOUT GOING OUT OF SCOPE