The Sniper "Nerf"

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Nyscha, Nov 16, 2013.

1. LT_Latency

I think it's fine to have kills from any range as long as you don't get stealth.

Come on Mustarde, With stealth, A silencer and unlimited range. How much damage could you do. Be honest.

I normally use the ram .50 with no silencer. If I could switch to a faster shooting bolt action AND put a silencer on AND have stealth I would be in heaven. I just don't think that much stealth and the ability to one shot from any range is needed to do well.

In massive battles I think the bolt action is good as well. I just use my teammates to protect me from getting rushed. With a few max units and HA around, Then enemy can't get into an effective range to kill me and you just hammer away on the enemy. Stealth, shoot, get cover, heal repeat.
  2. Shadowyc

What we should do then...is make so when an infiltrator is spotted, a giant arrow is plopped above his head, and it doesn't leave for several hours, even if you log out. No one on your faction can see it, but everyone else can. Even if you die, it doesn't leave.
  3. IamDH

First of all i'd like to thank you for responding using logic (i really mean that). I do agree that at far ranges (and even sniping in general) takes an immense amount of skill but the main issue with sniping is that its a one-way thing. It relies heavily on the user himself and there isn't much the receiver can do about this. Lets say for instance rambo gets his sniper and deploys 300 meters away

He will get a ton of (deserved) kills with minimal resistance for about a minute (if someone decides to head for him) yet there is absolutely nothing the receiver can do.

The ideal "counter" would be to stay mobile but this is near impossible because most activities require you to slow down (if not stop). These include aiming/terminals/hipfiring to a certain extent and many more

Thank you for having this conversation and i hope you dont ignore me like Nyscha has seem to have done

I have explained this in detail over here https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/how-i-feel-about-the-sniper-changes.158027/
  4. Vaphell

I on the other hand did to illustrate other cases where that alleged 'unfairness' happens and it's considered ok. Infs have exactly 0 AV and in case of radars they are nothing more than a dead meat. They can't retaliate at all? Who gives a ****, nobody likes infiltrators anyway.

Harassers are not fine because they destroyed mech balance but infs will be as powerless as ever. Even if harassers lost 50% of their survivability they still are 100% safe from snipers and can try to run them over to their heart's content if merciful fury to the face is not enough. Anything bigger than a flash can farm infiltrators all day long and with radars onboard cloak doesn't mean anything.
  5. LT_Latency

You joke but this how it works in other FPS games that are coming out now. In Battlefield which I am playing right now. Enemies see a bright light the second you point a gun with a long range scope at them.

Yes you can land a head shot from any range, But it's a lot harder when 20 people start shooting at you the second you peak from cover and their weapons suppress you so you can't shoot straight then when you try to move to a new spot you can't stealth so you have a huge orange arrow over you head.

I would kill to have a PS2 load out for my sniper right now.
  6. Shadowyc

BF4 has suppression still? Thought it was removed or something.
  7. Canno

LT_Latency: You seem to think stealth is a huge advantage at range when it really isn't. If you decide to try and close that range I can get away just as easy without stealth since the act of stealthing and unstealthing creates a really HUGE noise. It's easy to track down many infiltrators simply because they over-stealth. Add to that darts show up so for a long range sniper using a dart anywhere near them to see if an enemy is sneaking up is just saying "Hey, I'm here!"

Then throw in vehicles with radar (planes, tanks, atvs, etc) and counter-snipers it's not a peachy rosey killfests for a long range sniper. It's a lot of work for low kill counts. Can one go on a kill streak? sure, it'll probably take them a while and not be cert worthwhile and likely not a big benefit to the team, but hey, I can go gun for a lib and rack up kills 100 times faster...

(rest isn't aimed at LT_Latency)

Personally I think any range cap on a sniper rifle (headshot kills) is a bad idea. If anything they need to encourage more styles of game play, not take them away. When you get upset that a sniper killed you ask yourself what you were doing that lead to getting killed and if there was anything you could do different - consider what the sniper may have had to do to earn that kill. Seems like people want the snipers to change their game play style without changing their own. Consider the impact of limits and what it means to the snipers on your side doing their job.

Sometimes a 300m shot is all you have, all anyone has, vehicles included.

Next test: Go in game and do some sniping or get to positions you think are good for sniping whatever area, do that without a personal waypoint (simulate a flowing battle) and then set a waypoint. How close were you? Chances are most won't be operating at the 150m range, but will be 140 or closer just to be sure...
  8. IamDH

Infiltrators might get the ability to hack vehicles. Infiltrators will not be "as powerless as ever"

I seriously do not see the issue with sniping at 150m if your elite skills help you do it at 300m. There is absolutely no logic to this situation
  9. Shadowyc

Trust me...with the way team mates kill everyone on their side when near a vehicle. Infiltrators won't get far. lol
  10. LT_Latency

No, it's huge especially if they know where you are.

Let look at a battle.

People know where I am. I don't have stealth. The SECOND I come out of cover.

I am taking fire.
    I am taking damage which would kill me.
    I am flinch which is making my aiming more difficult
    I am having my accuracy effect so even a perfect shot could still miss.

Now they same thing with stealth.

When I come out using stealth. No one actual knows for sure where I am even if they are looking right at me. Giving much more time to make an accurate kill shot without the other problems from part one.

The big problem is 9/10 snipers do use stealth like this and just shoot without turning it on and off.
  11. IamDH

Lol

There does come a time where tankers (being tankers of course) will stop to farm some infantry or shoot another vehicle
  12. LT_Latency

It's change but still there.

Now LMG and Sniper rifles. Causes full supression.
    Any other gun Causes reduced supression.

Suppression now just add weapon sway, it's doesn't actual increase bullet spread
  13. Shadowyc

Yeah...then an engineer comes along to repair your tank. And suddenly, there's a dead engineer, and all you hear is just this crunching bone noise beneath you.
  14. IamDH

Well if the engineer is repairing behind my tank he will get crunched if i need to reverse. I bet if engineers started repairing from the side engineer TKs would decrease by half
  15. Yuukikun

Points stated in this thread:
    - snipers take skill
    - snipers should be able to snipe out of harms way
    - snipers are useful to the team
    - only 1 person needs to be on the point to cap a base
    - CQC players are K/D padders

if i put all of this together:

It takes an incredible amount of skill to shoot people at high range that are looking at their map while being out of harm's way when doing so.

It takes alot more skill to have an infinite time to aim your shot and wait for a target, while not having to worry about anyone attacking you, than being a close/medium range infantry, which gets shot by snipers, ground vehicles, air vehicles, other close/range infantry and needing to aim a fast moving person in less than half a second or else they die for sure.

It takes more skill to land a single headshot with infinite time to prepare on a target moving 1mm / second on your screen than landing 8 shots on a target that can go in and out of your screen (field of view) in less than 1 second, while being shot at.

You call K/D padders people who actually get shot back when they try to get a kill.

Keep up the good work soldier, considering how manly you are, you might consider hiding in a MBT or gunning a Liberator with your incredible skill level.
  16. MonnyMoony

There is.

You have enemy snipers counter sniping. There is very little cover in the prime sniping positions, so you have enemy ESFs to watch out for (a volley from a lolpod will make short work of a sniper). You also have to be aware of lonewolf enemy soldiers who sneak up on your position or harassers that can be on you in seconds and run you down. You can get hit by AV mana turrets at max range - and you even have a degree of risk from enemy HAs etc who can land a few lucky shots with an LMG (I countersnipe with mine on occasion - and can land headshots on enemy snipers using a 3.4x scope. I also use my Lasher to great effect - flushing out enemy snipers who ahve given up their position by tracer fire). You can't use a silencer at max range as it affects bullet drop too much - so every time you fire - you give your position away on the mini map and also leave a significant tracer back to your position.

Given the limited amount of damage a sniper can dish out which is limited both by the fire rate of the BASR and the difficulty on landing killing shots on the enemy at max range (especially if they are moving) - i'd say the risk/reward balance they are subject to is about right. Its certainly no worse than a lolpodding ESF or a twin fracture max mowing down scores of infantry.
  17. Shadowyc

Even better! Their 3.4x scopes don't sway. :eek:
  18. MonnyMoony

Which is why I snipe using it. Its rock solid - and TBH - its easier to land long distance shots using my HA's LMG and the 3.4x scope than it is for my infiltrators scout rifle with a 6x scope.
  19. Targanwolf

Some of you seem to not understand how snipers can help their faction in a fight beyond taking head shots.
    Example...last night I played my infil a bit.We are trying to take a base.The infantry units were bogged down with the enemy fire not letting them close to assault. I began to shoot the enemy from range...I wasn't going for head shots but to just make them not want to be where they were...they moved away after getting hit repeatedly.....and the close quarter types were able to cross the distance and engage and kill/push back the enemy. This is a common activity for many snipers
    Snipers do more than try for head shots.They can deny area to the enemy and allow others and facilitate the action of others.
  20. Canno

Let's look at another battle.

I take a few mins to get a position, I see a prime target (however you want to define it), I take the shot. They or several people notice and bomb/shoot the crap out of the general area, killing me.

Both just as probably. I'd be interested in your research in to 9/10 snipers using it the way you claim... Chances are I've killed 8 of them just because they over-stealth.