The SMG Rage

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sapare, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Sapare

I really want to hear some real opinions and less of this slanted stuff.

Why are people so furious about the SMG's and saying that the news ones are so insanly better then the old ones and were only a bait and switch move?

Is there ANY prove to back all of these claims up and do ANY of you guys who ***** like this actully use SMGs(I barly ever see them in usage anymore)?

This just seems either way out of hand, or something I have yet to have to be explained. Because I saw no nerfs to the old SMGs(which were I will remind you, called OP and a money grab by many players on this very forum) while barly ever seeing the new ones be used.

So which is it, were the old ones OP and the new ones super duper OP but everyone just likes not using OP weapons, or are you guys just so obsessed with ******** about things that you will make yourself believe whatever you want? Or am I just plain and simply wrong?
  2. Sharpe

Have you seen in these forums the threads on how SOE has made mines invisible so it forces people to get mineguard?
    Or the one that claims Higby faked the graphs we've all seen?
    Or the ones that claim this game is plagued by hackers, and 1 in 5 players are blatantly hacking.
    Or even the ones claiming hackers only get a 7 day suspend and then are allowed back in?

You can add the SMG whines to that list.

It's untrue, and it's just another mass moan that caught on with the impressionable folk here that will probably jump off a bridge if you make a compelling case for it. (even if untrue)
  3. DJPenguin

Some are just upset that they didn't do their homework and find out that there would be 2 smg's before the first one was even released. I was about to spend certs on a shotgun yesterday but before doing so i did the unthinkable and actually did some research about the release of the new shotguns. And now look, pump action shotguns today! See how that works?
  4. Phazaar

Right, it comes down to this. Almost every seasoned FPS player agrees that flinchlock is the only mechanic going in this game. Flinchlock favours higher ROF, since flinch (until today) is entirely dependent upon frequency of being hit. An 800rpm gun creates 33% more flinch than a 600rpm gun, thus making the flinchlock 33% more effective. This is all most relevant during very close range engagements.

With that in mind, for VS and NC, the new SMG with a higher ROF and identical TTK is a clear upgrade for CQC engagements; by any range where the higher damage per bullet/projectile velocity is an advantage, you are much better using the CQC carbine. Further to this, its actual TTK is much lower, because it is far easier to land shots in general and more specifically headshots, as the tiny clip of the old SMGs meant you had to use the extended mags, whereas now you are free to use the adv laser sight, which allows you, whilst moving, to have a crosshair that barely covers a player's head from 5-10 metres away. Again, in very close range encounters, this is a huge advantage, but it also means that your effective range is slightly longer than imaginable from stats sheets, and certainly I find it has higher stopping power at longer ranges.

As to the TR, I have used both SMGs but bought neither. The extra ~95 rpm on the smaller clip weapon may or may not be worth the sacrifice of 30 bullets, but I imagine in 90% of situations (especially given the fact that the bullets do the same damage in both weapons, so you now get twice as much reserve ammo - the main limiting factor when behind enemy lines) the round capacity is enough to feel at least a little bit cheated.

Overall, the main issue is that this is not the first time we have seen this. SOE have done this with every launch so far.

New sniper rifle. Two weeks later, one with increased bullet velocity and slightly increased reload times. Well colour me happy I've got the LA80 and have to factor in more drop and more time-to-target than putting up with that extra reload time which -never- matters on a class that picks its engagements.

New Rocket Launchers. Few weeks later, lock on launcher that can hit both targets. It's sort of a side-grade, due to reduced damage, but has increased range to balance that out; it doesn't have enough downsides for its huge upside to consider it anything but an upgrade.

New camos. A couple of days before launch, massively up the saturation of existing camos to being almost hilarious. Then release camos with a nice muted pastelle feel, much more useful as camo, and matched much more closely to the terrain it's on.

Sure, it's not 100% bait and switch, but it's clearly tugging on that poor udder until the cash cow can't milk anymore.