The problem with Pump Actions...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Chiss, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Rogueghost

See, I don't know what the argument was, I just saw "show me a lasher with a 16+ kill streak" so I provided a video which shown what you asked to see.

And if you were using a lmg in that situation you have two major problems, first not every shot will be a headshot, they are at an angle not directly below you, sure a lot of them will be headshots, but not all of them.

2nd, our lasher using friend just needs to point and click at the general area of the hostiles and let the splash do the rest, the lmg user would have a high chance of losing wounded victims into the crowd as people move and what not.
    • Up x 1
  2. Obscura

So you ask for a video showing a lasher getting a 15+ kill streak, and he provides. But still won't concede with his point, and are now making up hypothetical situations to try and disprove it. That kids, is whats called a good ol fashion backpedal
    • Up x 2
  3. VexTheRaven

What capture point has 20m around it? Plus, LAs that aren't ******** can easily close that gap with their jump jets. Plus there is more than 1 direction they can come from. Plus they don't have to OHK, even at 20m a shotgun is still very competitive.
  4. loleator

Shotguns are worthless past 5 meters. Stay on his ideal range and come here to cry at Cryforumside2. Don't get on it and destroy him.
  5. MNO

Same guns different skins.

I think it's mostly because it's F2P, there has to be a lot of guns for people to spend them certs/SC on, they're a currency sink essentially, so what you end up having is a load of clones with minuscule variances like RoF/Damage.

There needs to be more faction specific staple weapons, more Lasher type weapons that are unique.
  6. Chubzdoomer

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned, they're all the same. I don't care which shotgun you're using: If you catch someone up close, it's a guaranteed kill. If someone catches you at a distance, you're almost guaranteed to be f****ed.
  7. Darlith

I have to agree with the OP on this. The pump action seems to be the weaker choice for me compared to the other shotguns. Trouble with it is the refire is so slow that if you don't kill with that first shot you aren't likely to get a second one off, which with the trouble of hit detection on moving targets and a bit of a low frame rate means it's not as viable for me as the mauler or piston.

That's not to say people won't do well with it, if your framerate is high, or you are an LA that will often catch enemies by surprize there is nothing better for dropping someone in a hurry. But for me it's just not really an optimal choice.
  8. }{ellKnight

Thing is if you're going at a pump action expecting the same thing as a semi auto or full auto shottie you'll be disappointed. The serve the same purpose but have different ways of achieving that. I have a barrage (10 round semi auto) and an uppercut and the way I use them is quite different.

Maybe it's just me, I actually find the barrage easier to use because it doesn't punish mistakes as much as the uppercut does. Miss with a barrage and the penalty isn't that big, miss with an uppercut and you just bumped your TTK to over 1 second. For this I personally find that the initial batch of shotties have a lower skill ceiling, the uppercut is higher risk higher reward than the barrage.

In the end I like both of them but ATM I prefer the uppercut because it's more fun to use for me but if I want to go full on blitzkrieg in a biolab I grab the barrage.
  9. xGreedFuSioN

You've clearly never used a shotgun at 20m.
  10. datfluttershy

The one hit kill Shotgun is part of this game for 2 reasons alone.

The obviouse one beeing SC-spender-attraction: Because the weapon has OP written all over it, just like the SMG, people will buy like crazy, therefor generate revanue for SOE.

Second of all, as stated by Chiss (whom i never agreed with before) has the point told already: it is a low skill high benefit weapon.
    What does PS2 have enough off? - Low skilled players looking for an easy way to finaly get some kills rolling there way.

And of course, don't forget the once that benefit mostly of this: The medium skilled players that had a good combat performance before the weapon was introduced, which excessively play to the benefits of the weapon and generate streaks, frustration and "ERMAGERD NERF" threads. But because of the two reasons above, it is unlikely to be changed in the near future, the SMGs never got a hard-nerf either, they still dominate the carbine in almost every aspect and are EXTREMLY easy to use.
  11. siiix

well there are more then realistic and skill-ased shooters (like counterstrike) in the world this is neither .. so i have to very much disagree, people like you just dont get this category
  12. siiix

dude , just because your a genius do not mean every one is that insane, probably you could get same kill-steak with a broomstick .. your stats are not relevant, your to good to be relevant in anything
  13. Xasapis

When half the player base is running around with shotguns, then it's clear that there is something wrong with the shotgun balance. They took some steps rebalancing them, but I feel it is not enough.
  14. Chiss

*blush* :oops:
  15. Chiss

I don't think this is true at all. Currently shotguns are the best choice for CQC, which is fine. As a result, smart players switch to a shotgun when in CQC.
    • Up x 1
  16. Xasapis

Well, unless people are on Esamir, the majority of combat is close combat. I'd wait and see how things go in a couple weeks, when whoever wanted to buy the pump actions has already done so and then they can be properly balanced.
  17. quicKsanD

Having these OHK shotguns ruins indoor combat. Between MAXes, mines, regular shotguns, rocket launchers, grenades, c4 and every other weapon, it is hard to stay alive. But at least you have a warning or time to react before you die. The Hacksaw was nerfed because it was basically instagib on EVERYTHING. With pump shotguns you turn the corner and die instantly, I think that is stupid and unacceptable.

Nerf the damage and give pumps a tighter spread, but the OHK has to go. Light Assault was nerfed because it gave no warning, Hacksaw was nerfed because it gave no warning. This needs a nerf.

SOE please stop adding extremely high damage, low ROF weapons, pump shotguns, commissioner, underboss, seriously stop. I will buy more weapons but stop making them all like this.
    • Up x 3
  18. datfluttershy

Careful with what you wish for, or the might revert to there copy/paste model policy for all weapons. And please notice that this game stays alive from players and ppl buying SC - The Pump-Shotguns generate both. Now you dont even need skill to play PS2 because we build you an idiot proof Shotgun, point, shot, win. For 700 SC its yours (or engage in the terrible grindfest to get 1000 certs).
    • Up x 1
  19. Van Dax

I kill many, many, many shotgun users as a medic with an H-v45, all I do is side step the first shot and they are dead before the second. I do even better with an smg.
  20. quicKsanD

I purchased Alpha Squad, I am a premium member, I have purchased 60+ items from the store including, infantry weapons, vehicles weapons, helmets, and camo. I understand they need to make SC. They also need to stop making guns that just instagib you when you turn the corner. Two shots is ok one is not. This is not CoD, or BF, there should not be many options for OHK. I can live with c4, dumb fire launchers, mines, sniper HS, and tanks. Mostly because those are all class specific or harder to use aim.

I can't live with OHK shotguns that almost every class can have and use. Seriously a medic with OHK shotgun is just lame.
    • Up x 1