The planetside toolbox

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BurntMyWater, Nov 21, 2015.

1. BurntMyWater

I have a toolbox. In it are several tools. I like all my tools and maintain them properly, but I do have a few favourites in there. That said, every good workman knows that each tool has a purpose and that one should ideally use the right tool for the task at hand.

Lately though, a number of forumsiders have been complaining that the hammer in the toolbox is just too useful and negates the need to use any other tool at all. They complain that it is too good at hammering down nails, and it should be changed so that other tools will have a chance.

I am confused by this. The hammer is the best at hammering things because that is its intended role. Sure, you can use a spanner or the back of a screwdriver, but understandably, they aren't as good. What seems blatantly obvious to me is that the hammer is good at hammering, but that's all it does. Sure I can hammer down a nail the quickest and easiest with a hammer, but what if I need to cut wires? Hammer's not going to help but some wire cutters would be nice. What if something breaks and I need to weld it back together? I need a blowtorch, not a hammer. Need a fine, precise hole punched? Use an awl. Not a hammer. And if I accidentally hurt myself, I need a bandage and not a hammer.

So let's all play nice and enjoy our tools ok?

TL;DR: HAs are killing machines and it's fine that way.
    • Up x 1
  2. JobiWan

Ha, I saw what you did there.
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Construction is not a game.
  4. Campagne

The problem with your analogy is that HAs don't do only one thing that no one else can.
  5. Bindlestiff

Just as soon as the Gatekeeper starts being a hammer, and not a hammerwirecutterblowtorch with a 1000foot extension cord so you can plug it in really far away and still get the job done rather than go to the guys house to hammer the nail.

Edit: I know this is on about HA. I'm still going to relate this to the Gatekeeper.
  6. customer548

You can use a hammer to cut wires or to join 2 pieces of metal of you take enough time to do it. The problem is the overall quality of the final product will be poor, possibly frustrating.
    People starting to use the final product may not notice the malfunctions at first. Regular users will notice those malfunctions, will accept them for a time...but then will ask for an improvement or a replacement.