The Plan to Save Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AJay, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RucknessMonstah

Devs please listen to OP and this post. The OP has a great idea and makes territory control so much more important than it is currently. I don't care if the rotate warp gates, but making taking and defending more important is much more crucial. Imagine having a warp gate being attacked. You could actually get people to come defend that. Now no one cares about defending anything other than the crown.

Make warplanes link to two different continents if you want. But this idea is awesome.
  2. Skadi

Agreed!

On a very serious note, i realy realy realy like this, and imo this is REALY something the game needs, but realy to save this something further needs to be done with the game, and thats the redisigning of every single structure and outpost in the game.
  3. xen3000

This would greatly improve some of the population issues some servers experience and give a good sense of accomplishment. However, I do fear this would also only emphasize the population imbalance on some servers... IDK, but it would be a vast improvement over what we have now!
  4. Malkurn

I like this idea. Though instead of set paths between each continent I would like to be able to warp to any continent unless the continent is locked. When a continent is locked you would only be able to warp to it via the specific warpgate and the only if you held the territory around that warp.
  5. Bill Hicks

To me the terrrain is so very bland. I want to see caves, and rivers
    • Up x 1
  6. Stormlight666

It's actually inspired by Planetside 1.
  7. Stormlight666

Shouldn't that be - DAOC is so awesome that 10k people are still regularly playing it.
  8. Stormlight666

Resource donation to your empire. That'd give us hardcore infantry, infiltrators and front-line battle engineers something to do with our vehicle and air resources.
  9. B0bzor

Nothing else they could add or change in the game right now would make me happier than the first image. Kudos sir.
  10. Littleman

The first image is flawed in that an empire runs the risk of being locked in their own continent with no resource gains, in addition to the possible risk of too many players trying to log in on that empire with no where else to go, much less those that did log in with no resource gains and are now facing off against a zerg camping their warpgate. The system we have no is in place precisely to prevent this reality.

The second image is more what SOE has wanted to do. Maybe 6 continents is still too early. I'd say that each empire would need control of two continents each, so that each empire has access to two different continents at any given moment. Keep in mind, PS1 had 10 continents:

Cyssor
    Hossin
    Forseral
    Amerish
    Ceryshin
    Esamir
    Oshur
    Ishunder
    Solsar
    Searhus.

Each empire had two home continents, and the rest were free for alls. This gave a "defeated" empire room to spread their now compacted forces across two fronts, which unless the other two empires were intentionally coordinating their forces, would be impossible for any one empire to pull off, sans if they were hilariously over-populated to begin with. The strategic meta game will take shape with each new continent added, but it's too early right now. And for what it's worth northern Indar is actually a horrible, horrible strategic location to defend, far too great an expanse to cover. Then again, ideally only two empires would have much of a presence on a continent at a time.

As an aside, I'm an advocate of raising the intended 666 empire population limits to 1000 for the home team, and 1000 between the other two empires. If there are 158 VS to the 842 NC on the continent, too bad for the VS.
  11. Stormlight666

Like in PS1 when the Max would autorun across the deep rivers in hopes of crossing and sneaking up behind their enemies before they ran out of oxygen. Good times.
  12. ReiOfTalon

Dude. You know what this looks like?

Planetside 1.

You know what was wrong with PS1?

Effectively nothing other than there was a LOT of space to fight over. But that's GOOD.
    • Up x 2
  13. Arkio

The first idea the OP posted is far superior to what we currently have, I really hope that SOE pay attention to this sort of thing, it really would improve game-play a great deal.

It is pretty much PS1's system but honestly, it worked. Why did they feel the need to change it to what we have now? I really don't understand.
  14. SwashBuccaneer

DAoC is like 11 years old now. It came out in Oct of 2001. :p Just sayin :O And, yes. It was pure awesome. Played it for many years from launch on. Just too dated now with some mechanics.

Too bad Mythic made WAR and not DAoC 2.
  15. Littleman

Because PS1 had 10 continents with two home continents to an empire, not three continents with one to each empire. Different scale at the present. PS1 wasn't so restrictive if an empire was backed into a corner, where as a mere three continents to squabble over would STILL turn into a stalemate, only instead of just trading continents every night, everyone would have a pre-designated continent to control. This would effectively kill variety more so than introduce anything meaningful to the meta game with the number of continents we have right now.
  16. thegreekboy250

Bump for justice!
  17. smokemaker

bad thread title
    great idea with maps
  18. daskleineviech

Good idea in theory, but it has its weak points. The first problem is that not all continents have the same amount of tiles, so Indar would be more difficult to defend than Esamir, but would also award the winning faction more resources. The other problem is that on Lithcorp (as an example), the VS is very numerous during the night and caps a lot of stuff. This would mean that instead of losing the territory we gained during the evening, we would also lose our warp gates.
    The other thing is that we are already getting run over by both factions on Indar, because it's just the best continent for most players. I'm sure that the roles are reversed on other servers (NC beeing strong or TR instead of VS), but that doesn't change the problem that this idea would just lead to less variety over all. At least now I can opt to go on Amerish with my squad, with capturable warp gates we would be forced to stay on Indar forever.

I like the idea, but the continents need the same amount of tiles, and big facilities. And until the population issues aren't resolved, it will just make the whole steamrolling with 50% pop more annoying than it already is.
  19. BlueGreen

Oh my this is amazing this really is how Planetside 2 should be with hard to capture warpgates linking between the continents but each faction still has 1 uncapturable area in their own home territory. This would mean a much much better population dispersion instead of all fighting at just the crown and continents being barren.

It Would also bring much more needed meaning to owning and capturing territory. PLEASE EVERY1 support this thread only if everybody believe in this is there a chance it will happen!
  20. Roarboar

The Issue at hand would be that there has to be perfect balance in terms of population.
    Also one might be forced to play on a map he dislikes in order to get to another continent.
    Even tho it gives more meaning to map control it also has downsides which I didnt previously think of.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.