The Orion

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Kodaa, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Kodaa

I'm going to compare the Orion to the NC's most comparable "CQC" LMGs, the Anchor and the GD-22s.

The Orion:
    [IMG]

The GD-22s:
    [IMG]

The Anchor:
    [IMG]

TTK comparison:
    [IMG]

I include the GD-22s because it's a common replacement for the Anchor, although it's basically a direct downgrade, it's MUCH cheaper.

Anyway, we can see from the stats that they're all very similar. 50 round magazine, 200 pool, ~3/4 second reloads, equal hip accuracy, etc. However, it's also obvious that the Orion's DPS wins out, not by a huge amount, but enough to matter. Combine this with the Orion's notorious 0.75 ADS movement speed modifier and high RoF, and you have a weapon that is better in every way that matters in short-mid range.

I know there's a fine line between balance and homogenization, but where is the competitive NC CQC LMG option? The TR has the MSR-W (even though it's also worse than the Orion). Short-mid range combat is what matters. That's where territory is won and lost, and where the NC HAs are at a disadvantage. Not to mention the fact that NC HA's have to drop 1000+ certs on the Anchor, where the Orion is free :rolleyes:.

I just feel this is a problem that deserves some attention.

/discuss
  2. Posse

Actually, the MSW-R has adv laser sight iirc, so for pure CQC it's better than the Orion, but yeah, the NC are screwed in that aspect, grab the jackhammer I guess.

Btw, I don't know what you used to calculate TTKs, but 1,9 secs at 5 meters? I think not even the worst player is that bad.
    • Up x 3
  3. Hypnoso

VS guys fromUS praise Orion, but we in Europe posses the real knowledge of the Best weapon.
  4. Kodaa

Good point on the MSR-W.

The TTK is calculated assuming the player has 30% accuracy, which is why the numbers are so high.

Edit:

Cool.
  5. Vastly

Not a very good assumption.

A while back someone wrote a gun firing simulator that took all the weapons stats and simulated the weapon firing, from which you could estimate hit rate etc. It was a great piece of work so if someone has the link, throw it in here.
  6. Kodaa

I can post the graph with 80%+ accuracy if you'd like, but it doesn't change the DPS: Orion > Anchor > GD-22s, it just widens the gap to make it more noticeable.
  7. Konfuzfanten

Yes and TR gets an orion with a 100 mag that is microscopic less accurate. In the hands of an experienced player the Carv is more or less just the Orion with a 100 mag.
  8. Kodaa

The Carv doesn't have the 0.75 ADS movement speed.
    • Up x 1
  9. Stromberg

NC HA's have acces to the Jackhammer. Who said you must use an LMG in CQB? You're being given a faction trait with shotguns on everything but slow firing weapons. You could use this trait as advantage by picking the Jackhammer for CQB instead of as disadvantage by picken an LMG.
    • Up x 2
  10. Notih8Darian

All factions have strengths and weaknesses, it's what balances the game.
    Please just take the orion if we can have Phoenix/Ravens
    Edit: Almost forgot about jackhammer until post above mentioned it, I'll give you both orion and lasher for jackhammer ;)
    • Up x 1
  11. Kodaa

Because CQC LMGs have the ability to transition very well into mid range combat whereas a shotgun is useless outside of extremely close ranges.
    • Up x 1
  12. Hrafnagaldr

Yet the Anchor gets the option of the advanced laser sight, which somehow eliminates the need for 0.75 ADS in cqc. And with the higher bullet damage I would think it on par with the Orion, if you are good at headshotting, which isnt that hard at close ranges. And the performance beyong 50m is way better.

TTK differences are in the milliseconds, so I wouldnt even bother about that. Lag and reactions times are way more crucial.
  13. Van Dax

Don't you dare give away my lasher son.
  14. Notih8Darian

Dat auraxium man, that must've been hard
  15. Van Dax

that screenshot was taken as I fell to the floor dying outside an amp station hence the odd angle. It was certainly fun and helped me learn positioning and other skills quite a bit as I could only win if I totally outclassed the other guy. Since then my K/D (not that I care much but its pertinent here) has gone up by about .15 since then and my next auraxium is taking about a quarter the time.
  16. Notih8Darian

I'm not even close to an auraxium on anything, I switch classes and vehicles too much :(
    https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428039961780334673/weapons
    I just don't like using the same weapon or vehicle :(
  17. Vorxil

Here.
  18. Kodaa

A fair point about the advanced laser. I just find it very distracting, and I hate using it. I don't understand the obsession with making lasers sights visible in shooters. If the devs need a way to balance it by making a laser sight user a more visible target, they should take a page out of BF3's book and add a small red glare to the weapon when it's pointed at enemies.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hrafnagaldr

You can disable the light (standard button was L should be X now), the attachment will still work. I had to get used to it, too. But with the Polaris VX29 and the H-V45 on my medic I achieved good results with it. Although the Polaris is mediocre at best, I had an easy time getting Auraxium by just doing hipfired Biolab farming :D

And it took me 2 months to realise, that the Sirius SX12 got the advanced laser sight, too :D
    Foolish me, ADSing all the time with an SMG.
  20. lilleAllan

No doubt the Orion is a fantastic weapon, and I'd take it over the Anchor any day. I personally use a SMG for CQC HA work since the NC CQ LMG options are so dull.

Anchor? Yay, another 600 rpm/167 dmg weapon... So basically it's like having a 50 round/clip Mercenary, which is honestly not the greatest CQC weapon. I've used the Gauss Rifle, Mercenary, GD-22S and EM6 extensively - I'm sick of 600 rpm weapons by now.
    The EM1? yeah.... np.

But the NC has the SAW meaning that we have the best long range option whereas the other factions have better CQC LMGs.