The one thing that has always been OP but no one will admit it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Crayv, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Crayv

Repairing.

It completely eliminates any kind of vehicle attrition. It is also why vehicles have to be super flimsy.

Repairing in this game is devoid of any cost and will even out repair lower DPS anti-vehicle weapons. Most "deterrence" turns into where you damage a vehicle and before you respawn and get back into position it is already at full health and back to doing whatever it was before.

I would prefer if repairing got cut down in some way and/or vehicles retain a small % of the damage they sustain. In compensation for this all vehicles receive a LARGE health boost. It would make vehicle gameplay feel better as it would encourage more reckless (fun) behavior, so you can do things like charge in with a tank and not instantly die. Currently players tend to treat tanks like they are made of glass and keep them far away from the enemy and simply lob shells from afar.

Note: One of my favorite things about the Bastion is that if I suicide rush the thing and deal even just a little bit of damage, that damage is done and eventually will add up to the thing being destroyed.
    • Up x 1
  2. Scrundle

Something could be done about the current repairing system absolutely, it isn't exactly fun standing (Crouching) there with LMB held down and it isn't fun shooting something just to watch the damage get instantly repaired either, so i'd support a sensible change to it all.
    However, the bastion weak points do have a regenerating shield equal to 25% of their total HP, or so I am told at least, so small portions of intermittent damage do not add up over time against it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

i like the idea of adding a pilot class and making it the only class that can drive most vehicles.
    the pilot would be weak in infantry combat, only able to use secondary weapons.
    other classes could still use topguns/rumble seats and travel seats etc,

but the driving would be Pilot exclusive!
    (flash would be an exception, drivable by all)
    Pilots would need to seek out engineers for repairs to their vehicles!
    • Up x 1
  4. Scrundle

Well that's what the old "Agile" armor was for! It couldn't carry much in the way of weaponry compared to the more serious armor choices but it could fit in the pilot seat of all vehicles, it was a balancing mechanic that worked just fine.
    • Up x 2
  5. Demigan

Vehicles are "super flimsy"? What are you talking about? They are tough as all hell compared to infantry!

If anything vehicles need to be even flimsier to give infantry a chance to actually do something, but get many more gadgets in return. Deployable shields, boosts to their speed and maneuverability (one for each vehicle. Vanguard could get the best reverse speed for example to keep it unique), mortar racks, co-ax guns, missile racks, side-mounted missiles, scan equipment, equipment that creates fake holograms of your vehicle or creates false radar signatures on enemy player minimaps if they are within range, the ability to switch to different ammunition types like scattershot, airburst, an artillery mode that fires at a target designated by someone's target-painter the possibilities are pretty much endless.

The goal is to give infantry a chance to deal with vehicles before they just hop out of effective range or behind cover, but keep tanks feel tanky by making them wield tons of stuff to protect itself actively instead of letting their healthpool settle stuff passively.

The other option, nerfing the repair speed, wouldn't be enjoyable. Forcing players to look at their vehicle for more than a minute to repair it is not a good system. You would need to give these players something enjoyable to do while they repair their vehicle without having to look at it all the time. If players could just activate something by looking at the vehicle and then be able to walk and look around as long as they stick close it would already help them not having to look at their target all the time. If we had actual command elements where you could steer squads, platoons and randoms all at the same time by adding visual cue's on the minimap/map and beacons visible in the real world that will guide players who want it to the right spot would help give these players something to do while their vehicle repairs. Similarily such a system would help alleviate respawn timers as players could spend time guiding allies nearby to their goals.
  6. Campagne

That could be fun, but I think something would have to be done about NAR and/or FS, since they'd become incredibly important. Especially for Lightinings.

Auto-repair from ammo towers would also have to be considered, as that would suddenly become quite important for which ever faction(s) have the benefit active.
    • Up x 1
  7. iller

Well if we're gonna apply this logic... then Infantry Time-to-Kill is in the EXACT same situation too then.

Head crits technically kill FASTER than a complete Roundrtip latcency Server tick & Reaction time depending on how unfortunate your computer's client lag, and your ISP's own routing might be. And a Medkit restores that health just as quickly. Right clicking someone (as Medic) back to FULL health from the downed state is FASTER than left clicking them back from the deep red.

There's no Attrition here either yet everyone who still plays the game, SEES NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH THE INCREDIBLY FLAWED GUNPLAY which massively favors Lagswitchers ... sometimes as Infantry you'll die further away from a cap point, get Rezzed, and than take longer to run back than it would take you to just respawn on a router literally on top of the cap point. It will take me significantly longer to drive in a Flash from the next base back in the lattice ... than it does for me to:
    1. respawn all the way back by the warpgate where my player base is
    2. run over to the router dispenser
    3. run to my Flight terminal, fly TO the constested Hex base with extended fuel tanks Afterburner. and...
    4. ...land directly above the point b/c this is also an Ejection equipped throwaway ESF
    ...in BOTH situations here, I could be completely out of Nanites because I was playing very irresponsibly yet I'm only "punished" if I try to rely on the flash as opposed to the much more Attrition-ABUSIVE alternative

Which also brings up the point of Ground vehicle terminal for player bases which just had its Cortium costs slashed in half in the last update which makes ground Vehicles even more disposable so even if you Nerfed repairing... the Cortium mining cycle which already yields some of the highest certs in the game thanks to the VPN exploit, would become even more reliable of a cert farm when everyone in the hex is mass pulling Vehicles from your Silo reserves
    • Up x 1
  8. Twin Suns

Peter Cottontails hopping down the bunny trail, with no aiming penalty.

That's OP.

o7
  9. SarahM

If medkits/repairing required you to be out of combat, they would be less abusable.
    Also "damage disables autorepair for X" should have a higher X.
  10. iller

I 'unno.... that feels a little TOO "mmorpg'y" ... getting "out of combat" to recover stamina or heal or even change items is probably the 2nd most cliche' thing in online MMO's after the "main" quest to kill 10 rodents and it REALLY kills the freedom of Movement and Physics that makes the game actually unique
  11. RRRIV

i think we can use the Squad/post Scriptum system were you can repair components to full, but cant repair HP to full. What i figure is you can use your rep gun to repair up to 50% and nanite auto (maxed) can do up to 30%. To get to full health, you go to an ammo tower and start reping within its refil radius. The tower also passively repairs to full, it takes longer than rep tool, but faster than nanite auto.