The NS-7 is not a SMG. It is a Carbine for Infiltrators.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Phrygen, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Tommyp2006

As with all NS weapons, it's a fantastic jack of all trades-Mater of none weapon. There are better weapons for hipfire, there are better weapons for ads. Those with higher rof, and those with higher damage. It's just a decent all class all arounder.

Some of my outfit members were having this same discussion last night, and we pretty much came to the same conclusion you did OP.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rodinvac

It also has a much better damage fall-off compared to the other SMGs.
  3. Dis

Your logic is sound.
  4. The King

24 ammo... that sucks..
  5. Xhaleon

Well, ever since it got the ammo pool buff it isn't so sucky anymore. Hey, if you're using a scout rifle you're playing an infiltrator. Cloak will help take care of all that reloading without dying thing.
    No way to make an SMG have a stable recoil pattern, but the pseudo assault rifle can. So yeah.
  6. DreamlessLiberty

In the limited time I used this gun I would say it is well done. Out to 40m it beats the MSW-R but after that the lmg takes over. Playing an infiltrator with this weapon until you can hack a weapon terminal inside a base then switching to a heavy armed with the smg with the benefit of the shield and the rocket launcher seems like a win to me. As far as it having a damage drop off similar to an lmg...this weapon isn't that accurate at ranges beyond 50m and/or the spread is to high with forgrip + compensator. You can full autofire with most lmgs and land mostly hits at that distance. In my opinion it is better without a compensator because it reduces hip fire accuracy which is where this excels and the long range accuracy isn't good enough to beat a lmg anyways. It is a good option within 40m to outdo the MSW-R/Orion/Anchor/EM6. In my opinion this weapon is not op but maybe someone will figure out a way to cheese this gun on an infiltrator which may result in an unfortunate nerf to this weapon for other classes.

Probably the only benefit to the damage drop off it has is if you use soft point ammo I think it extends the full 143 damage out to 40m.
  7. Xhaleon

Doesn't it have the same damage range as carbines and rifles? I think that means SPA only gives it that measly extra 5 meters. I can't check the actual game myself right now, have been struggling with driver issues.
  8. Blarg20011

damage drop off starts at 15 m IIRC, so it actually has better damage drop off than carbines.
  9. DreamlessLiberty

It does have the same damage range as carbines and rifles but it's not accurate at those ranges. Being an smg it is meant to be fired full auto. Firing it in bursts at that range results in misses but I might have to test it again. Firing it in burst also results in a low TTK anyways compared to rifles. I think its accuracy is 0.3 across the board but there is server maintenance right now so I can't check.

Also I thought SPA extended the range by 10m.

Just logged in. It's accuracy is 0.3 across the board compared to 0.1 for standing ADS on a lmg.

So I guess it's accuracy is as good as an lmg after the fifth shot standing ADS which isn't that great. Your bursts start at poor accuracy.

Forget all that. When I first tried it its damage was 143 but now it shows as 125 or maybe I was seeing things.
  10. Bape

Um no the cyclone is not better maybe at close range but not medium range.
  11. Xhaleon

Mmm, thanks. I'm pretty sure SPA was 5m bonus for rifles and carbines though, I know its a very small bonus. Still, the NS-7 is one damage tier lower than many other guns, so the SPA just makes sure it can compete at least up to 20m. Its going to add another bullet to kill after that small distance, so that's going to hurt it against carbines...
  12. Psykmoe

It's a common mistake people make to think an SMG needs a laser to hipfire well. Base hipfire cone is still good, but the real actual secret is that an SMG usually has half the cone of fire bloom per shot when hipfiring compared to carbines, so if you run exmags or grip or whatever you're still putting out bursts that are more accurate for longer than comparable carbines or assault rifles. For the same accuracy loss, you put out twice the bullets/fire twice as long.

So yeah if you run the NS-7 with grip or whatever, still a great hipfire weapon. Like any SMG with exmags (Cyclone, Eridani, Armistice)

I've think I've also seen a dev say that the NS-7 has quicker CoF recovery once you stop firing, so if you burst at mid range you can keep the intervals shorter I guess.

But yeah this thing is an all-rounder. Not terrible out to mid range, but also no more than serviceable with the lowish damage. It's like a stock Solstice with better hipfire but less damage.

And yes, damage-wise it's a bad starter carbine and slightly beats the long rage/slow rpm carbines (T5 AMC, NS-11C, Razor), but not guns in this damage bracket that only fall off 1 tier of damage.
  13. DreamlessLiberty

I tried it with compensator and forgrip again with 4x scope and it seems much better at range now. I think it can do 3 7-8 shot bursts out to 100m and get a kill.
  14. mpal

With 30 rds in the mag. I'm pretty sure the commissioner has more damage in its mag than the ns smg. I honestly think it has less total damage in one mag than any other smg/carbine in the game.
  15. YuanrangJA

It is quite the fantastic gun for close-to-mid ranges as an Infiltrator. It is a good gun which fills the automatic fire niche between the Armistice and Hailstorm (First and Second generation SMGs) and Scout Rifles. It is a balanced gun and I really like how the balance between the TR SMGs are turning out.
    You have the SMG with the massive magazine yet with lower DPS (Hailstorm), you have the SMG with the highest TTK but you have to choose between increasing the magazine or using a laser sight (Armistice) and now you have a mid-range SMG that is well suited for anyone who does not dare to run up close into melee ranges (NS-7).

None are clearly superior, and they all fit well into different playstyles and have both their strong abilities and natural weak areas.
  16. Phrygen

2700 total commissioner

3750 total on 30 clip ns-7

course one is actually accurate at long ranges... commissioner has 1 shot accuracy.
  17. R3volutionist

This gun is definatly not OP. the damage output is pretty weak especially at mid-long range. Up close its pretty good, but he other SMG's are better. And honestly I think the cyclone is better at mid range than the NS. That being said this gun is really fun and unique and I love playing with it.