The new red reticle...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by gregfox89, Jul 25, 2013.

1. gregfox89

WHY was this added to the game? Why am I not seeing people complain about this? First of all, it serves no useful purpose. If you can't tell whether or not someone 8 meters in front of you is friendly or hostile, you're beyond hopeless, and you'll get torn to shreds and probably uninstall the game within an hour of playing. Do we really have to dumb the game down THIS much?

I play mainly CQC and this thing makes a huge, huge difference. This is something that should be a core game mechanic, and should be decided at the alpha stage of development, not NOW. I don't even have to aim anymore, I just move my mouse, see red, and click. I was getting a pretty high K/D today and I'm certain this is why. It really removes all "skill" that you could claim infantry combat had. I hate what this game is turning into to get it ready for the console kiddies.

But worst of all, it just plain interferes with everything. The most important thing in an fps is feedback, and that comes first and foremost in the form of a hitmarker. With this red reticle, I get a ton of false feedback. Sometimes think I'm getting hitmarkers when I'm really missing, and it costs me my life. If you're not having that problem, you're obviously not playing light assault, trying to strafe shoot an smg with jump jets, for example. Yes, the sound of hits is also feedback, but in a loud battle hitmarkers are a huge deal. The red reticle just introduces more noise (information) into an already noisy game. And the point of feedback is to come AFTER the fact, not before.

But the WORST thing of all, and I'm not even sure if this is a bug, is that the reticle turns red on DEAD enemies! You're running through a battlefield with bodies everywhere and your reticle keeps turning red, you're going to end up firing on your allies. This mechanic is just all around broken.

SOE please, if you're going to add this console garbage, please give us an option to turn it off!
    I am certain they will probably try to sell an implant at some point that extends the range of this thing. Who needs to even spot or think at all?! If it wasn't for the new content we keep getting, and the friends I've made, I'd probably be leaving the game soon if this kind of stuff continues. This is only the beginning, wait until this game becomes CoD.
    • Up x 6
  2. Kristan

PS1 had this even without camos. There is nothing about console games and CoD. Deal with it.
    • Up x 9
  3. Crayv

The only reason I think it was added was because when people are very close to you the dorito over their heads may be offscreen so this was added to make up for it, which is why it only works up to 8 meters.
    • Up x 1
  4. 0dineye

So you are saying that this thing that you claim hinders you gave you a better K/D?
    /logic
    • Up x 1
  5. Cromell

Oh dear.

If you didn't realize yet: this complaint is silly. IFF crosshairs are a standard in most games, I am surprised it was added only now.
  6. gregfox89

It can do both
    I am saying it's incredibly inconsistent and confusing feedback, so sometimes it was helping me, and sometimes it was hurting me.
  7. Tommyp2006

Because soe decided to make the reticule red instead of giving everyone an even amount of forced faction color on their armor to make enemies easier to tell apart from allies.
    • Up x 2
  8. Dingus148

This. Give everyone a faction-coloured chest plate, gauntlets, boots and helmet. PROBLEM F*CKING SOLVED.

Also @Crayv...in larger fights friendly doritos don't always render. Combined with the IFF issue this causes dramas.
    • Up x 1
  9. Zombekas

Better start uninstalling then :eek:
    • Up x 4
  10. ZoeAlleyne

I really don't like it but it totally throws my hip fire aim off.I'll admit, it really doesn't matter and I'll adjust.
  11. Van Dax

I just wish I could turn it off, I find it distracting and I've never had any IFF problems.
    • Up x 1
  12. starlinvf

But then that would nerf Giraffe camo, Vanu Armor, and make everyone as clearly visible as NC...... INSANITY I SAY!!!!
    • Up x 1
  13. Primarkka

It's to counter the camo and reduce teamkills.
    What do you have against it? You bought a camo to cheat your way around IFF? Noob.
  14. Enderverse

The red reticule is fine but I wish they would not trigger after aiming over dead bodies. 80% of the time that my reticule turned red while searching, a dead enemy was the cause. Well... I guess that kinda nullfiies the "red=shoot" mentality because if you follow this principle you might just end up pumping rounds into corpses.
  15. 0dineye

Shooting a corpse should make it despawn. Double-tap! Problem solved.
  16. Fang7.62

Why are there player models and environment textures even in this game? Because you dont need to pay attention to either to be able to kill stuff. Why the contintets cant just be a grey plain and every player just a red square with label "Boolets go heeere, jaa u iz gud shot, buy FoTM ez-recoil weapon, and hold m1". Fu*ing inbred 10yo kids spread like a plague to every F2P game being so horribly bad at situational awareness until the devs replace every single activity required of player (with the exception of holding down M1) with a game mechanic that does it for you until the game turns into something with pacman-like levels of complexion but kills your hardware. Bohemia Software, finish the goddamn arma 3 already.
    • Up x 1
  17. LibertyRevolution

This drives me crazy...
    I'm wasting so much ammo as my cross-hair lights up red because some dead body!
    Also have blasted a few allies that are standing on dead bodies..

They need to make the dead not trigger this effect.
    • Up x 1
  18. Locke

I dont really like this change. I hope it at least has a range so you cant use it to pick out infiltrators etc. If you want to know why they are doing it though simply find some of the topics on the NS helmet and you will see 100+ people complaining about how hard it is to identify friend from foe.
    • Up x 1
  19. HadesR

Not really sure you can blame the players for this .. I myself have not seen it asked for by anyone unless it was on Twatter or Derpit
    • Up x 1
  20. syno

+1 for having an option for turning off.
    • Up x 2