The New Player experience per the Cryaotic Stream: "It's fun when you're not getting **** on."

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fortress, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Posse

MAXes and HE spam aren't something that make the game have more quality or be more hardcore anyway
    • Up x 1
  2. MuNrOe

Go back to COD then ya ****wit.
  3. profchaos2001

I signed up in January 2014. I've played plenty of FPS during my days. Battlefield 1942 was probably my favorite game of all time. This game comes closest in combined arms tactics. If you have any doubt about how much bulldog spam or rocketpods destroy this game, look at maximumsmurf's stat pages. http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/player/MAXiMUMSmuRF

28 thousand kills with the Orion. Nuff said. Quit Crying. Play the game.
  4. Lamat

Just make all vehicle ammo cost some resources and then it would be conserved more. Same with HA rockets, MAX AV, engie turrets. A very small amount of resource but that would add up if SPAMMED.
  5. uhlan

There are huge problems with force multipliers in PS2 and this has been discussed ad nauseam.

That being said, the game is VERY EASY TO PLAY!

Ridiculously easy in fact... even for infantry. ;)

However, I do acknowledge that it can be overwhelming at first since there are so many people shooting each other at one time.

Most of the angst I see are folks that simply come to the game expecting their experience in other FPS's to carry them through.

It doesn't work that way in PS2 for a ton of reasons. The number one difference is the size of the map, and the fact that you may never know who's watching you at any given time and from which direction or distance.

The game's concept is "epic" play. The problem is trying to wedge small map thinking on this scale.

There are a lot of people who want small map fights and expect them to run as they do in other games. The problem, again, is range and population imbalances in a hex. This isn't a lobby shooter of matched sides.

Someone in an MBT can sit at range and lob shells into your infantry fight. Something that really doesn't occur in other games because, well, there isn't enough territory to do such things. Now, if you add a broken resource system where everyone can grab one of those tanks (sometimes outnumbering the infantry) you get a ridiculous spam fest and a huge amount of frustration.

While this is an issue that does need addressing by the devs to be sure, it's also something that in many cases can be avoided altogether.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people run through the same door (despite a lot of other options) to get killed by the same tank... over and over and over again. Mostly because they didn't know there was another way to get where they want to go.

Some of the blame has to lie on the shoulders of the players themselves. Much of the angst has to do with their inexperience with the base design, how latency works and EPIC SCALE TUNNEL VISION. The latter affecting even the most experienced of us from time to time. For veterans it's that split second lapse in thinking because they're a little jaded and simply being overwhelmed and inexperienced for the noobs. Most new players graduate pretty quickly out of this state fortunately, when they realize how big the game can be.

It is the above few reasons that give the more experienced players a massive advantage in farming. They know the spots to go to, they, through experience, know the particular paths folks take to get from A to B. Couple that with a certain knowledge of human nature and you get great killing fields for game veterans.

This may seem unfair to folks, but this is true of any game out there. It's just that PS2 is HUGE and it exacerbates these issues.

No weapons are truly OP in this game, but gamers are an ingenius bunch and find the situations or locations that become force multipliers themselves. There are ALWAYS counters to these situations, but many folks can't deal with the fact that those counters may necessitate the disruption of their prefered method of game-play.

While we are ingenius, we are also creatures of habit and a bit lazy which adds to the level of consternation.
  6. CDN_Wolvie

Exactly, not only that but it would encourage those interested in defending to arrive and make a fight of something a whole hell of a lot sooner to bolster the automated and properly arranged defensive lines.
  7. Surmise

I think huge amount of this community is never taking into consideration one big deal that Sony made mistake with.

Those two mixed communities in this game are these below

• Extremely casual role playing community i.e. MMORPG players NOT MMOFPS players, players which have background in grinding RPG games like everquest
    • Competetive First shooter community i.e. people that have background in any once popular or popular competetive FPS game like quake, unreal tournament, counterstrike, half life, team fortress, battlefield and so on
    They mixed 2 opposite community types into 1 extremely mixed and where one is a majority, they mixed it in a way that their game making decisions don't cater to one community specificaly but to other one, sadly for this game it's being made for casuals, people that don't have competetive mindset( don't want to get better for example in the aspect they aren't good as they are in their primary strenght or comfort zone, no fair play tendency, they would like to do big things with great effectivity with minimum effort invested and stuff like that, sorry but just try to analyze stuff like this and you'll see it's true,) i.e. aren't playing to be better than someone much better than them or to compete just for competing spirit.

First one is huge majority and don't have competetive mindset, second one is with complete opposite mentality that sadly this game isn't focusing on and that's why this game is mediocre at best and will stay as long as the devs cater to casuals, no depth, no competetive atmosphere no fair balance, too much low effort very high reward stuff implemented that destroy the game's population, too many promises, huge expectations, very huge amount of let downs, see ZOE 6month abuse festival but that's for another thread.

I don't think devs have any concrete plans on this game and that they have never had it and i think it may be time to lower expectations significantly since they don't give us too many hopes, unless you think Valkyrie patch is saving the game wohohohhoo, we gonna get so many new players and old playing again because we got 1 air unit that acts like 4 passenger galaxy.

Community and forumside get realistic, ask for real significant stuff that will start improving the game, push devs to change shallow mentality they have and we may get better game with more players to play with, please.

This thread is great start. Just keep your egos low and you'll see change for the good, no kidding.