the new ns baron g5 shotgun

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ghost001985, May 10, 2014.

1. ghost001985

this is a first look at this gun! i have heard that there will be explosive slugs? ? ?

2. Aeravic

People are already calling it the NS Jackhammer.
    • Up x 1
  3. ghost001985

ps im sorry for the quality and the lighting!
  4. ghost001985

i really want to see the explosive slugs!!!!!! i hope they aren't going to be like the explosive bolts for the crossbow.
  5. kadney

Afaik it's supposed to come out next week, so if there aren't "explosive slugs" (lol) on PTS by now, there won't be any for the live servers either.
    And why do people call it "NS Jackhammer"?
  6. M2_Bradley

From first person it looks eerily similar to the NS7-PDW....
  7. M2_Bradley

Because um....It performs like the Jackhammer(minus the 3 shot f*ck you mode)....In the eyes of the community at least.
    • Up x 4
  8. Aeravic

I wouldn't be surprised, since SOE has made many "new" guns by taking an existing gun model and tweaking it a little. -.-
  9. libbmaster

Wait... they're making it semi-auto? I was under the impression that it was to be pump-action.

Okay, now I might be concerned.
  10. ghost001985

im sure they well make a pump for this. the same way they did the mkv suppressed, for the ns7.
    • Up x 1
  11. Kanil

It reloads like a pumpshot, but fires like a semi. Better for short reloads, worse for long ones.

It's nothing to be concerned about, it's only going to be about as effective as existing options. It's not a Jackhammer, given that the primary draw of the Jackhammer is the three round burst, and this doesn't have that.
    • Up x 1
  12. Mootar

The primary draw of the Jackhammer isn't the 3 round burst which is very situational and is just as likely to get you killed as rewarded with an instagib.
    The primary draw of the Jackhammer is the longer effective range in semi-auto compared to other shotguns making it more viable for use outside of tower stomping, which surprise surprise is exactly what the Baron is a copy of.

I assume we will shortly be getting an NS version of the Lasher and MCG in the interests of fairness.

I'm calling shens.
    • Up x 8
  13. Paragon Exile

The Baron isn't as good at range as a Jackhammer, it's marginally better than current ES pumps. It also reloads slower than sin.
  14. Kanil

My personal experience in game and on the forums suggests otherwise, but even if that is the case, then I can still assure you this gun is no Jackhammer. Reloads abysmally slowly and only has 8 rounds.

It's going to be a sidegrade to the Mauler/Thanatos/Barrage that everyone has for free.
    • Up x 1
  15. eldarfalcongravtank

turn this weapon into a full-auto drum-mag shotgun with 15rounds but low damage/pellets per shot. then this would actually be worth purchasing!

because right now, all i see is another shotgun reskin with a bit tighter spread... whoopdeedoo
    • Up x 1
  16. z1967

I honestly wanted a drum mag semi with 20 something shots with horrible spread and reload but sweet baby jebus the ROF and mag size would make the weapon the best shotguns for HA. Like an MCG for all units except somewhat worse :|
  17. Revanmug

Huh, the Baron is better at close range and as good as the Jackhammer at range.

Short reload are faster. Long reload are longer. Has 2 less round without mag upgrade and 4 less with magazine upgrade.
    • Up x 1
  18. Paragon Exile

Interesting.

Considering I tested this at length on the PTS, the Jackhammer is more powerful overall, faster to reload, less reliant on accuracy but less consistent because it has one less pellet. The Baron, in contrast, has a crappy ammunition capacity, slow reloads even worse than pump actions (currently sharing the same animation) and is slightly more consistent. Most people will likely favour current semi-automatic shotguns over it, as their ranges overlap considerably.

With shotguns with a higher RoF, you frequently need to magdump quickly to get the kill, especially on moving targets. In practice, unless you're in close range, the weapon's niche, you will often be reloading 4+ rounds each time you do so, making it slower than the Jackhammer.

On a Shotgun, that's a massive difference.

I'm not saying it's perfectly balanced in its current iteration, but it's certainly not a contender with the Jackhammer.
  19. Hibiki54

Both the NS Baron and Jackhammer are 2 shot kills within 10m, 2-3 shot kills within 15m, 3-5 shot kills at 20m and 4-5 shot kills at 25m at against non-infiltrator targets without nanoweave or heavy shield.

This is compared to the standard Mauler/Thanatos/Barrage which is a 2 shot kill at 10m, 3-4 shot kill at 15m and 4-6 shot kill at 20m
    • Up x 1
  20. Revanmug

Going to start that I don't think the Baron will replace the Jackhammer for NC HA. That's not the point. Now...

Both have the same pellet spread meaning their actual accuracy is the same. The damage on the Jackhammer is indeed more random since it is spread on 6 pellets rather than 7 which is a negative compare to the Baron.

I also don't think you even understand why HA actually use the JH. It's biggest advantage is that while it got less damage at knife range, its minimal spread (better than any other shotgun) couple with a much lower damage drop off make it the best shotgun available. Unlike other shotgun, the JH is deadly outside of knife range. That's what define the Jackhammer right now. There is no overlap. None of them even get close to it.

Except for the new Baron. The Baron has the exact same drop off with the same spread. That's why people call it a NS Jackhammer and with reasons. It is also why your "range overlap considerably with other semi" is just plain dumb. It sounds like someone that got no idea why the JH is great.

The beauty of the Jackhammer is that it's still a deadly weapon at cqc/knife range. You shouldn't have to dumb 4+ shells to kill infantry at said range except if the target is a HA with overshield up. This mean that yes, short reload will be faster on the Baron. That's one of the best reason why JH burst ain't that great. As funny as it is to unload a burst on someone, It is a massive overkill.

But yes, if you constantly dump 4+ shells because you really can't aim or because you are simply firing at target farther away then yes, your reload will be longer. There is no doubt there.

I wouldn't say it's massive but it's a large difference yes. I'm glad the Baron has at least something inferior to the Jackhammer.
    • Up x 1