[Guide] The M3 Pounder HEG

Discussion in 'MAX' started by SharpLight, Mar 6, 2013.

1. SharpLight

It aims like a piece of excrement
    It does damage like a piece of excrement
    The projectile is a piece of excrement
    The magazine size is a piece of excrement
    The reload time is a piece of excrement

And the cherry on top is the fact that the projectile goes right through infantry so you either aim at the enemy with your machine gun or aim at the ground and hope to do some damage with your piece of excrement M3.

Conclusion: The M3 Pounder HEG is a piece of excrement, don't use it.
    • Up x 3
  2. IronWarrior

I totally agree, it's a pile of frag.
  3. Lucidius134

The projetile hasn't gone through infantry for me, it's just harder to aim than the falcon or comet because it offsets way higher since it's mounted on top of the arm. I've hit a few people directly with it the other day but again, harder to use than the falcon/comet.

It's good vs. infantry at longer ranges though. It's like a mini underbarrel
  4. SharpLight

The projectile definitely goes through infantry and no it's not good vs. infantry at any range. You have footage/stats please share, otherwise sod off.
  5. Naithe

No need to be rude....

But yeah, poundr is quiet.....bad. and yes have had shots go through infantry.
    • Up x 2
  6. SharpLight

And who are you, the nice police? How about I say what I want and you sod off. Anyway you have a better answer to the idiotic "learn to aim" argument, because that's what he was basically saying.

A guy with a big Vanu Galaxy as a sig pic telling me that the most useless TR equipment is "good vs. infantry at longer ranges," yeah sure, you can't even see where the projectile lands at long range let alone aim it. He just doesn't want us to open the whole Lasher is OP can of worms, that's all.
  7. Frosty The Pyro

I like the pounder, the AV dps is actualy quite impresive and I have had good luck smakin folks in the face or around corners with the one I got. Unfortunatly I already burned through my SC befor I started my TR alt, and am planing on focusing on my prowler with TR so its unlikely I will get to play with duel pounders untill they do another 3x SC deal.
  8. Tungsten

The nice police say: L2aim n00b

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  9. Lucidius134

Agreed, no need to be rude.

I've hit infantry with it directly just last night. I often times miss direct shots versus infantry at ranges i can easily hit with the Falcon or Comet. I figured it was just the horrible offset though and chalked it up to me being a **** shot. I guess it's partly the same hit collision issues that every other max weapon has at close ranges. Then again, this issue also happens for infantry too.

It definatly doesn't do as goof AI wise because of the lack of alpha damage. When I did hit people direclty I still had to follow up with 4+ shots with the chaingun instead of 2 for the quasar or often times 0 shots for the Falcon. It feels really weak when I punch an infantry directly in the face with it and then have to follow up with a chaingun shot. The TTK feels about just as long. Then again, they ARE AV weapons so I can't complain too much. They are much better as light artillery atm.
  10. Lucidius134

When my particle trails on my pounder stop working I generally have to resupply once or twice to fix it. The smoke trails don't help with leading so it's mostly adjustment based off of seeing the explosions. That said, if you're hitting a target that's 100+m away and moving to the left you generally only need to aim with the very bottom of the reticle for the drop.

Not saying L2P but it's not impossible like you're saying. I'm not a 4th factioner but I enjoy playing on the other factions so I feel more qualified to talk about different aspects of the gameplay, although my opinions are somewhat biased simply because i'm a human being '>'

Anyways, muted you for being another ignorant player. Most people who pull the faction card are also the same people who in other situations will try to discredit an entire argument by going "it's actually spelled their and not theyre" *DOESN'T RESPOND TO ANYTHING ELSE BECAUSE THEY CAN'T FORMULATE A COME-BACK, LET ALONE CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO THE DISCUSSION*

I have no comment about the lashers effectiveness because that's a completely unrelated matter to the issue at hand, and the point of your topic. You're derailing your own thread. The issue is the Pounder HEG not being as effective...?

1. It aims like a piece of excrement
    2. It does damage like a piece of excrement
    3. The projectile is a piece of excrement
    4. The magazine size is a piece of excrement
    5. The reload time is a piece of excrement
    1. It does aim like a piece of poo that's for sure.
    2. Damage could be a little higher so both shots landing do 120-130% more damage than a cosmos or falcon shot. As for if that damage should be direct or indirect, i have no idea.
    3. Projectile velocity is only 10 slower than the cosmos or falcon. Maybe the smoke trails being more like the updated m40 fury trails would help some?
    4. The old pounders has 5 round mags and much lower damage and most everyone hated it. I'de like the older ones to be re-added though as I suggested in one of my other threads.
    5. The reload time is just slightly slower than the Cosmos. I don't know the reload speed on the single barrel reload but it's much noticably quicker. I havn't tested it out on paper because i don't know that number but i think the sustained DPS from dual pounders could potentially be much higher if you single single shot both and reload.
    I've already commented on a lot of these issues in my previous post.
    • Up x 2
  11. Lucidius134

See point 5.

This page does not cite a reload time for single barrel reloads which seem MUCH quicker.

Edit: it actually does. 1.5 for long reload, 1.25 for short reload. My question now is, how slow is the delay between shots on the pounders? Is it .5 seconds between shots like the prowler?

If so numbers should look like this:

Single Pounder:
    1 shot;
    Initial Shot
    .5s Firing Delay
    1.25s Reload
    1.75s Damage Cycle

2 shots;
    Initial shot
    .5s Firing Delay
    Second shot
    .5s Firing Delay
    1.5s Long Reload
    2.5s damage cycle

Versus

Dual Pounder:
    2 shots;
    Initial Shots (both shot at the same time)
    .5s Firing Delay
    1.25s Reload
    1.75s Damage Cycle (2 shots)

4 shots;
    Initial Shots (both shot at the same time)
    .5s Firing Delay
    Second Shots (both shot at the same time)
    .5s Firing Delay
    1.5s Reload
    2.5s Damage Cycle (4 shots)

so if we go with raw DPS...

LITERALLY AM THE WORST AT MATH GIVE ME A BIT TO TRY AND FIGURE OUT THE DPS AAAAAAAAA

It looks like the 2 shots might be worse if the delay is .5s, if it isn't .5s though it might be higher than the 2 shots??

EDIT: ALSO SORRY FOR THE TRIPLE POST, 30 MINUTE EDIT RESTRAINTS ARRGHHGG
  12. Takoita

Personally, projectile going through people problem hasn't happened to me yet, but with low damage per hit and projectile speed/trajectory it might as well phase through them.
  13. ThElement078

All AV MAX weapons are kind of bad, but IMO, the M3 Pounder is one of the best. For me, it seemed quite effective against infantry, occasionally it can even be better than the heavy cycler.
  14. Frosty The Pyro

1 shot cycle is 375/1.75= 214 dps
    2 shot cycle is 750/2.5 = 300 dps

comets do 282 dps
    Falcons do 277 dps

duel pounders do 600 dps
    Vanguard AP is 500 dps
    enforcer/sarron/halberd is 462 dps
    devistator does 333 dps
    stock rocket launcher does 309 dps
  15. Lucidius134

DAMN I thought i was onto something. lamee. Also thanks 4 formula. i was multiplying and then trying to divide it for some reason??? i dont know what i'm doing.

Holy Carp @ dual pounder DPS.
  16. Kroova

Yeah Pounder is worthless...I have not had any luck using it against infantry either.

However, it seems to do pretty well against enemy MAXs (projectile doesn't go through them in my experience).

IMO, all the AV MAX weapons are awful except for maybe the Falcon.
  17. Compass

A. It really helps if the corresponding googledoc for MAX weapons is posted.
    B. The drop on the Pounders is significantly higher than the other two weapons IIRC.
    C. As always, hitting 8 shots is harder than hitting 4.
    • Up x 1
  18. Zaik

ITT: OP says an AV weapon is bad because it isn't great as AI
  19. Mekhazzio

Personally, I think the only reason you don't see more AV MAXes out there is because everything MAX-related is ridiculously expensive. They were a common sight back in Beta, when costs were lower and income was higher. Anyone complaining about Annihilator squads just never saw the firing lines of AV MAXes in Beta. The AV MAX is longer ranged, puts out much more damage, gives no warning nor countermeasure, isn't stopped by going hull-down or playing peekaboo, and doesn't get splattered the first time something explosive gets a clean shot on them.

The Pounder's in a decent place. What you want out of an AV weapon is shot velocity, to reliably hit moving targets, and spiky damage output, so you can do the same overall DPS while exposing yourself less frequently. The Pounder's only middle of the pack on both, but it's the best of the trio at killing infantry, so eh. That's occasionally useful.
    But the velocity is pretty good, so the drop isn't significant enough to affect its range. Using the Pounder, I took out a Sunderer at NS Offices while standing at the southeast outpost of Mao. The drop isn't going to seriously impede anything you do with the weapon.
    Nonsense. Without any sort of aids like a rangefinder or ballistic computer, a trajectory weapon is aimed by firing shots and observing their flight to gauge the required aimpoint. The faster you can fire, the faster you can find the aimpoint. There's no recoil or COF bloom or anything to speak of between the two shots of the Pounder, so there is no penalty whatsoever to the multishot design, only advantages. Compare hitting a moving target with a battle rifle vs doing so with an automatic of the same shot velocity. You wouldn't say "firing more shots makes it harder", would you?
  20. Compass

The Falcon one-shots stock infantry on a direct hit (750 + 250) The Pounder will have to land two for the same effectiveness (375 + 150).

It has a significantly smaller splash against infantry and
    But the velocity is pretty good, so the drop isn't significant enough to affect its range. Using the Pounder, I took out a Sunderer at NS Offices while standing at the southeast outpost of Mao. The drop isn't going to seriously impede anything you do with the weapon.
    Nonsense. Without any sort of aids like a rangefinder or ballistic computer, a trajectory weapon is aimed by firing shots and observing their flight to gauge the required aimpoint. The faster you can fire, the faster you can find the aimpoint. There's no recoil or COF bloom or anything to speak of between the two shots of the Pounder, so there is no penalty whatsoever to the multishot design, only advantages. Compare hitting a moving target with a battle rifle vs doing so with an automatic of the same shot velocity. You wouldn't say "firing more shots makes it harder", would you?[/quote]

It would be more comparable to a bolt action sniper rifle versus a semi automatic sniper rifle, in which case, I would much rather prefer the bolt action to a semi. Sure, if you've never fired at a certain angle, you will need to judge the shot. But in most cases, you've used the weapon to where you will land your first shot.

Consider this shot, for example. I did not actually expect to land a direct hit, but I certainly knew the correct angle to fire the shot at.

Anyways, found it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Amnj8jnZLDIOdEx6azNNdVozRmxLVkI2WnZmS2NqV1E&gid=1

Interestingly enough, the Falcon has a lower TTK against MAXes than the Pounder.

What do we know about Pounder HEG damage? 375 direct, 150 splash. A shot cycle does 750. A pair does 1500. So 2 pairs is required to do the 3000 damage to kill a MAX. That means we have:

Pounder HEG
    Shot 1 and 2 Fired @ 0
    Standard Delay @ 0 - 0.5
    Shot 3 and 4 Fired @ 0.5
    Standard Delay @ 0.5 - 1.0
    Reload from @ 1.0 - 2.5
    Shot 5 and 6 Fired @ 2.5
    Shot 7 and 8 Fired @ 3.0

Falcon
    Shot 1 and 2 Fired @ 0
    Standard Delay @ 0 - 0.2 (not sure if this applies, not enough testing)
    Reload from @ 0.2 - 2.7
    Shot 3 and 4 Fired @ 2.7

Yes, in fact, even though the Falcon has less DPS than the Pounder HEG, it has a lower TTK than the Pounder HEG against other MAXes, 2.7 seconds opposed to 3.0 seconds.

So, we now see why DPS versus TTK can vary. The Falcon has a shorter TTK versus MAX despite having a lower DPS than the MAX because all of its damage is front-loaded into the first shot.
    • Up x 1