The LONE WOLF syndrome

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Desann, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Desann

The reason I am creating this thread is simple. I constantly see posts from players complaining about too much this or too much that. Every time it seems that said player is more of a lone wolf style of player, that wants to log in for a while, run around, and nab some kills from their opponents.

While there is nothing wrong with being a lone wolf, as I myself do this from time to time, everyone must understand a few things. Planetside was never intended for one man, one legend of an online gamer, one PRODIGY of the matrix to be able to decimate countless enemies with a swipe of his arm holding an empire specific issued machine gun. Instead, Planetside is a game were teamwork is crucial to victory in an attack or defense scenario.

Think of it this way. This is an MMO right? so basically there are A LOT of players playing at once. Similar to this are RTS games, where you can control hundreds of units from a third person or even first person perspective. This game, however, allows you to be in total control of your character. So its almost like we are all soldiers in one big RTS game that isn't controlled by one intelligence. That being said. When have you ever played a RTS game that one standard infantry was able to hold off an entire army? maybe he was a "hero" in your game but that's beside the point.

What I am trying to get at here is that it seems that many Planetside 2 players (most of whom never played Planetside 1 and are part of the newer FPS generation) don't seem to grasp how to truly get an epic experience out of this game. You need to become a part of something bigger. You and your rifle are one, now make that rifle become part of a firing team, or hop into a turret of a sunderer, or even play engineer and keep your vehicles and turrets repaired. There is more to this game than your individual desires and skill. It will only take you so far.

Believe me guys and gals, I've been there. I have played Planetside since 2006 and beta tested Planetside 2. I've been up late, all my friends are asleep, drunk, whatever the case may be, Its just me, my rifle, and 1,000 TR running unchecked on the map. I get killed left and right. Sure it's frustrating, but can I sit there and get upset when my individual efforts are useless when I am outnumbered a hundred to one? When that happens I look for a squad or even outfit and see how I can help. Grab your mics, join a squad, make a difference. Maybe a squad needs a medic, you HATE playing medic, but they need one. Instead of focusing on your killcount, focus on keeping that squad alive so their killcounts go up. You might notice a sway in the battle for your empire's favor.

Take it or leave it, I was bored, taking a **** so I was reading the forums :) time to go back to reality.
    • Up x 8
  2. Flarenza

Well the funny thing is, many of the complaints are ABOUT the lone wolf problem of air. One air unit is vastly more powerful than larger numbers of ground units, especially those that are meant to counter them. Many of the complaints are in an attempt to balance that out with the other side defending their lone wolf attitudes with 'this is a combined arms game, use teamwork.'
    • Up x 2
  3. Mietz

The game is designed for lone wolves.
    the end
    • Up x 2
  4. Tobax

The game s designed to appeal to the modern FPS gamers but it and will always be setup for teamwork to be the driving force.
  5. Desann

Ahh air, you are probably referring to a Liberator, which requires 2 people to utilize it's main weapon. 3 People if you want a tail gunner...So...I am missing the Lone wolf side of this argument....one unit that requires 2-3 people is NOT lone wolf gameplay.
    • Up x 1
  6. Tuco

The LONE WOLF syndrome

The Short Dictator who wouldn't know tactics/strategy if it hit them in the head Syndrome.
  7. Imnuktam

I see a lot of posts like this and it always comes down to people feeling this is a team oriented game designed for team play and everyone should be running in a platoon with their outfit or they are useless.

Tbh I feel the other way most of the time. The lones wolves are the ones that sit behind and defend, hit upopular targets and are often other times right there with everyone else doing whatever job their class has very well, they are just not doing it with a squad which seems to bug people for some reason.

Large outfits I see waste manpower and lose ground constantly.

Lets recall all 70 of us to pull an armor column. 15 min later there is a giant armor column in sanc and you have lost half the map. Then when they roll out its just in a giant zerg blob that rolls over lightly defended bases one after another farming exp while the front line and all the enemies forces are elsewhere.

This game obviously needs both types of players.
    • Up x 2
  8. Desann

The game is designed for lone wolves... with 12 passenger Sunderers, Galaxies, 3 person Liberators. I am failing to see how the game is designed for lone wolves. I will agree that there are aspects that are designed for lone wolves, not the entire game.
    • Up x 1
  9. Desann

I cannot agree more as I am often the guy in an empty base trying to hold off a larger force. However, the argument I mas making was how can one player seriously expect to win against hundreds of enemies....its not reasonable. I was simply saying if you feel like this game isn't working out for you, become something bigger. You don't need to be in a 70 man outfit. I just recently joined a 24 person outfit, including myself, and normally there are only maybe 10 of us on tops. We roll as a small squad and do whatever we can. We tend not to follow the zerg, because the zerg does what it does, follows the flow through the map. Instead we may go ahead of the zerg, setup turret hacks, hold down air cover until they get there, push the flank, whatever needs to be done. But, a lot of what we do cannot and will not ever be achievable by one single player.

I never said join a LARGE outfit, i said become something bigger than yourself. a 3 man squad can be just that. 3 guys with the same agenda, but you might find your play style much more effective that way.
    • Up x 1
  10. Desann

Perhaps we should make an outfit called the not so lone wolves lol.
  11. PyroPaul

... Most Outfit/Platoon/Squad leaders wouldn't know tactics or strategy if it hit them on the head either.
    hell most people don't know strategy, they just think they do...
    • Up x 1
  12. LastLieutenant

You HAVE to play with a larger outfit. It's not even an option in this damn game. People who aren't doing this are WASTING THEIR TIME. You could log on and run with a group and have 10x more fun in an hour than you could by yourself. Especially if they know what they're doing. You can get RIGHT to the action and have IMMEDIATE objectives. People who say "Oh I don't have time for an outfit" are just not reasonable people. I joined an outfit ( I was 2nd in command of a 500 person outfit in the original) for the SOLE reason that I don't have much time to play, and when I do have time I want to maximize it and have the most fun and get the most out of the game.
    • Up x 1
  13. Mietz

The underlying design is favoring lone wolf play, as a player you are independent from others.

You can heal, produce ammo, be anti vehicle, etc.
    As long as I'm near an AMS or inf terminal i could give less of a **** about other players.
    A single player can hack turrets, hack terminals, backcap bases, drive tanks, fly planes (effectively).
    I can repair my own armor/aricraft, heal (medpacks), be AV (C4), all in one.
    Every player fulfills all roles at all times, he is expected to "adapt" i.e. be everything at the same time.

The -only- exception is the Liberator.

If everyone can do everything, you have a game that is strictly speaking designed for individuals.
    When was the last time you saw a Sunderer actually transport people instead of being used as clowncars?
    Just because you have multi-person vehicles doesn't mean ****.

At this point, WoW is more of a team-based game because you can't tank, dps and heal at the same time.
    • Up x 2
  14. Mietz

You spelled "certs per hour" wrong.
    • Up x 3
  15. Wintergrey

I feel this game finds a balance between the two.
    There will always be those who prefer to be a one man army and this game allows that with is short respawn times, heavy artillery just a vehicle spawn away and the ability to change classes while still alive.
    The game really shines when people work together though. An effective team of five will beat a rag-tag bunch of six wanna-be heroes 4 out of 5.
    That's not to say that either side has less fun or is playing the game wrong.
    In fact, I think it's quite refreshing to storm a building with a team, checking corners, taking the tactical approach to each new corridor or doorway only to arrive in time to see someone from your own faction attempting to drive a tank up a set of stairs towards the control point.
  16. LastLieutenant

This is true as well.
  17. LastLieutenant

See thats the problem. You're playing this game for the wrong reason. Chances are you have a similar outlook on life as well. All I have to say is...I'm sorry :(
    • Up x 1
  18. CDN_Wolvie

I do believe that would need to be called The Timber Wolves, The Grey, or something along those lines :D
  19. Mietz

PPPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFffffffffffffffffffrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBWAAHAHAHAHA!!!

Oh wow.
  20. CDN_Wolvie

Ahahahaha... oh my, that is good for a laugh. [NCSO] would strongly disagree, probably at a choke point or key objective we have set up 360 security on with over watch and other combined arms. :D