[Vehicle] The Lightening C75, whats it purpose now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Villanuk, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Rydenan

You seem to be misunderstanding.
    "Vehicles need to defend themselves against infantry" =/= "All AV weapons should be effective at AI."
    ^ I feel like that should be pretty self-explanatory, but I guess not. Lots of vehicles have ways to defend themselves against infantry other than with their main gun. The MBT has its secondary, the sunderer has two guns, the harasser has speed and roadkill-ability. The lightning is the only vehicle that has no recourse, and so it's extremely crippling if the main and only gun on the platform has no AI capability.

Regardless, my point was that the Viper doesn't justify its lack of AI capability by being a superior AV weapon, because it's not a superior AV weapon. If it were, then its lack of AI capability would be fine.
    NEVER did I say that all AV weapons need to have AI capability, or even that the Viper needs to have AI capability.
    Merely that it not having AI capability is extremely crippling to the Lightning platform (because vehicles need to defend themselves against infantry, whether they have an effective AI weapon mounted or not), and so it would need to be far more effective at AV in order to be justifiable as a pick.

So no, I did not bring it up, you simply completely misinterpreted my post.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

I did actually understand the need to defend, however the issue with that is quite simple;
    Infantry do not have resistances, and Vehicles need raw damage output, as they do deal with resistances.
    So any weapon able to be fired at infantry, by a Vehicle has to have brutal damage if it is to kill vehicles.
    And the common effect to allow it to handle infantry, is splash - which doesn't affect vehicles.
    This splash is added onto direct hits as well, which can turn a 'low' damage into a fatal blast.
    With the sheer number of shots, this makes an AV weapon that is designed for AV by effect of accuracy able to mop the floor with infantry.

MBTs, have top guns yes.
    However, most of those have the stated ability as AV to dominate infantry.
    Only after the Update, have AI actually become competitive to them, beyond farming infantry.
    As now all but the Kobolt, can affect armor.

A Lightning's main cannon, much like the MBT's main cannons if designed for anti-armor maul infantry.
    And unlike those, they do not simply fire once or twice.
    Add in the smaller frame, and higher speed, the Lightning is actually quite effective at avoiding or rapidly dealing damage.

And as I said, the Bloom, the Accuracy of the Viper is what Needs work.
    Beyond that, it would become too effective - As then it is like a lot of Vehicle AV, a sniper's weapon with a blast radius.
    Which stacks onto Infantry, amplifying the damage further resulting in it being superior.
    This is why the new HEAT or HESH is being warned about surpassing AP for MBTs, as it has nearly the best of both.
    Unless the Viper loses Splash, when it regains the ability to hit a barn, the AV focused might as well be Dedicated AI.

Not all infantry can defend themselves against vehicles.
    Why must every vehicle, easily handle infantry units with firepower not speed, nor armor, alone?
    Heaven forbid, something else is needed.

What other weapon, competes with the Viper's cannon?
    The Single shots; Which includes a proper splash designed to kill infantry.
    Imagine if the new Viper's output included that identical accuracy, and splash; Why bother with the rest.
    Remove the splash however, and fix that blighted Bloom, then you have a proper dedicated AV powerhouse that doesn't dominate infantry.

You see, the difference between effective-as-hell and "defend themselves" is very thin, when you have a weapon that must deal a lot of damage, that also has splash that stacks up only against infantry.
    As that value alone is what kills infantry very hard; And with accurate fire, that is amplified.
    But I'll say it again; The Bloom needs to be fixed, as **** you can't hit a damn Sundy with it.
    However, it shouldn't be let to become another AV that dominates infantry.

Do you get this now.
  3. Rydenan

Congrats, you've once again confirmed the magnitude by which you've misinterpreted my first post.

Literally nothing in that picture-quote is akin to saying that all AV guns need to be effective at AI. Nothing.
  4. LordKrelas

You took 7 days to re-read a post of mine that is a reply to another post, that you already replied to.
    While apparently missing the reply to that very same post, which clarifies the matter.

Do you really expect a second time, to clarify that?
    Like there is an entire response to your response on that Very bloody thing you show here.
    7 Days, and you loop yourself? Jesus.
  5. Rydenan

Shows how much of a **** I (and everyone else) gives about this argument you're having. ;)
  6. LordKrelas

Actually it showcases how you couldn't find an counter, and literally had to pretend to not see it.
    Your reply this time, now that I can see was just to bug me.

But seriously, read that reply. It will enlighten your sad sodding soul.

Edit: Yes, I can reply that fast.
  7. Rydenan

Ooooh yeah, you got me.
    I was totally sulking while trying to work out a response. And "pretending not to see". Lmfao. You serious?

Certainly wasn't that I don't check these forums every 5 minutes like you apparently do. TBH, feel sorry for ya mate.
  8. CMDante

Its purpose is to make you go buy an AP turret so you can contribute meaningfully.
  9. Lamat

The Lightning Viper is now a flare, used to signal free certs available at your position. :)

After losing it as my favorite Lightning anti-infantry gun, I was really hoping (from how they made it sound in the patch notes) that it was going to do high AV damage at close range like a Vulcan/Mjolner/Aphelion and be the go to anti-Harasser weapon for the Lightning.
    • Up x 3
  10. Bukoski

Maximum screenshake for interrupting infantry aim. Just pelt a building even if you don't get kills. ;)
  11. DemonicTreerat

Works just fine for me.

Stealth, sneak up behind them, aim center of mass, and dump the clip then retreat and repeat. Otherwise its pop out of cover, blast off the full clip, then duck back and reposition while auto repair does its thing. Still works reasonably well against infantry too - a few rounds won't kill but a full clip will drop just about anyone.

Now I do wish that all the Lightning's current weapons would use something of the same concept. That being "high rate of fire but poor reload speed". Think a Python capable of emptying a 3-round magazine in 1 second or less but that needs 10 seconds to reload.
  12. TR5L4Y3R

it WAS brought up many times in varius threads ( not gonna name names) and it is just so unbelievably contradictory .. there are people on the forums who complain about lack of combined arms but also want "their" av weapon of choice to be universaly good contradicting the need for combining use of multiple weapontypes and as such contradicting the need for teamplay ..

Pretty simple make a weapon decent at av, ai and aa you reduce the people needed to do dmg for a certain task ...
    limit the weapon to a specific task but make it good at and you need more members to cover your shortcomings .. that is combining arms and teamplay ... by simple definition

If the viper is now meant to be purely decent at av then obviously it needs to be fixed torwards that however you can't then ask to make it also good/decent at killing infantry with 2 shots if you consider what i said above ...

Also consider that compared to any other vehicle the lightning is a armored one man vehicle ... every other vehicle for whatever defensive capabilities it may have may require a crew than just a pilot with exception of the esf
    • Up x 1