The KNIVES are on PTS

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by K2k4, Nov 11, 2014.

1. K2k4

So you probably already know, but the new 'equip-able' knives are currently on the PTS. When I logged on there just now, there were no players anywhere to be seen, but I was able to equip the new knife and play around with it in the VR training on the PTS.

As you may have heard, the new 'equip-able' knives feature some new stuff currently not in the game. First, holding down your quick-knife button will put away your weapon and pull out your regular knife. It appears that in its current iteration on the test server, this is a relatively slow process of 1-2 seconds and it can be done from cloak.

Second, your new knife has 2 firing modes. The default firing mode appears to do the same damage as quick-knife and swings about 1.5x as fast. The alternative firing mode is what has some people whining on the forums and allows a slower swing that does enough damage to kill an enemy infantry. While in the alternative firing mode, the knife has a special animation (I only tried it on TR, but the animation was a glowy trail of white light which came from near the tip of the blade. It really didn't make any sense.)

This alternative firing mode has some people upset on the forums. I believe that it's primarily intended for use by stalker infiltrators and light assaults. Here are some observations I made in playing around with it.
    * It seems to swing about 1/2 the speed of quick knifing. It takes about 1 second for the full animation to play.
    * The damage is NOT instantaneous, rather the animation goes and then there's a loud clicking noise as the knife 'strikes' its target. This means you can start swing upon the last couple of feet of your approach to your target.
    * During the swing animation, you walk. You cannot run while the animation is playing out.
    * the knife leaves what looks like a trail of pixy dust emitting from the tip. I believe this is intended to keep you from having it in instagib mode while you are stalking, but at least on the PTS the glow didn't seem to show through cloak.

I know this is not the place for discussion of this new feature, but I wanted to make everybody who regulars the infiltrator forums aware, as this change could affect us positively and I really want to see it in the game. Please send your feedback to the test server forum. :)

TLDR (obligatory): The new equipable knives are on the PTS and I think they're awesome. Go check 'em out.
  2. Rovertoo

Can I get my NC Magnetized Knuckle-dusters now please?
    • Up x 1
  3. SpartanPsycho

LOL good-bye shot-knife
  4. elusive1

Yeah, I sort of hate SOE for this. Nerfed knives, especially quick knife, because they don't want to code something other than a OHK right now( No one asked for it). That, and the new way knives work they rarely hit moving targets, with less range and more slow down. The giant knife fights that I played in, were giant whiff fests at point blank range. It was abysmal, and I'm afraid SOE is going to hang the mission accomplished banner, and release it before it's ready.
  5. CuteBeaver

Well I went back and I looked at the knives for a second time.

The mobility issue I am having seems to be a bug (or new feature) where once you swipe (doesn't matter if its quick-knife or if you have it out...) the game does not automatically return you to a sprinting status. Even if your holding down your sprint key the entire time (which i usually do) there is no "check for sprint" involved. So what happens is you end up walking around longer then necessary. Even on live there is a small walk speed delay during your attack. However the game automatically picks up when its finished and resolves to let you sprint again. Anyway the work around for this is simply to tap/spam your sprint key during the assault (in-case you miss). Its very annoying but it returns your speed in a timely manner. Hopefully this gets fixed up before live. If not you have an annoying "solution" in the meantime.

The new knife strikes are awesome. It makes sense I was having issues as I was testing the new blade for VS originally and was highly confused by the sluggish behavior. One shot knife strikes are going to be wonderful against HA's. I also found while wielding you don't have to actually push the quick-knife key to attack. Your regular mouse fire key works just fine. It doesn't sound super exciting using a mouse click to knife, however it allows you to customize your key-binds differently for efficiency. Infils are going to ideally have to push "b" a split second and then decloak and quickly "fire". So mouse click to fire allows us to just focus on doing two actions : (pushing b- i assume most of us will rebind this to something easier to hit) and then de-cloaking. I rebound mine next to my cloak key on the mouse and it makes for a very easy assassinations.

I don't think the newer version of knives will be the end of shot knifing. It will be harder to pull off since your realistically only going to get one swipe. The older knives still exist and don't seem to harbor the same drawbacks. (except for the sprint check bug - that suckers on everything.) Also @ Elusive everything has been more or less a giant Whiff fest for a while. I don't know why but the test servers been bad as well. I'v been getting unreliable detection and basically have to be intimately close for any degree of success.
    • Up x 1
  6. elusive1

Yeah, I noticed that. Game breaker for sure, you can't even cloak until the stuck walking phase is over. I hope it's a bug, but it has lasted through a couple of patches already :( Alright, that is pretty annoying, but i'll take it! lol The slower quick knife swing really screws me over too. I generally barely get away with a missed no scope, and two quick knives. Pretty sure I'm dead most of the time now, forget a shielded heavy. Laser sight pls! Point blank misses suck. OHK is cool, but I won't get to use it unless I'm esf dropping, and knifing everybody, on a point etc. It really sucks for me >< That, and less range and harder to hit things. Why soe??? They basically added something OP (Too much work to code something cool), so they had to nerf something hard. I don't think PTS has always been bad with knife reg. Pretty sure that was recent, I could be wrong.