[Suggestion] The Issues With PS2s Airgame

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by strove, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Evil.Iguana

One thing they really need to do is fix joystick/analog stick input so that it's possible to aim accurately. I might enjoy air if I could play it the way I'm used to, but what they have now is a super ****** system that only a small number of devoted people can enjoy.
  2. Botji

I think everyone focusing on the controls dont realize that it would probably just make things even worse, just like the aircraft radar did.

The aiming holds back the good pilots too, they know how to work with it but its not like they would not benefit massively from being able to aim 'normally' and anyone thinking they would have more of a chance against a good pilot if it was easier to aim is seriously deluding themselves because what is actually going to happen is the pilots that are already good will simply increase their accuracy a LOT more and kill everyone from even further away and give them even less of a chance to do anything.

This more controlled aim would also translate into much more A2G farming because even the 'bad' pilots would be able to properly aim while the good ones could farm infantry with just the basic noseguns they use against aircraft because now they can track infantry even easier.

I mean the answer to salty veterans destroying new people in infantry combat is not to make the weapons more accurate, the veterans would just beam heads even harder. Making aircraft easier to aim is basically the same idea with the same outcome.
  3. Demigan

Not really.

Lets say that it takes a pilot 10 skill to reach 10 power and at 20 skill they have 30 power.

We introduce this system and a pilot now has 10 skill and 25 power while at 20 skill they have 40 power. While on the surface the veterans got more power, the difference is now smaller than before because its easier for newbies to both get in and learn some flight maneuvers since you remove the need to learn and fight the dumb controls as much.

Although yes this would make A2G easier, it would also perhaps finally mean better G2A as more parity in A2A has been achieved. Also more pilots everywhere could reduce G2A as hovering around is a more risky maneuver.
  4. Botji

You say that but I still think a veteran pilot being able to aim easier while doing reverse manoeuvrers would be even worse for the new pilots just as a veteran pilot having an easier time aiming at the newbie when they get on their rear or surprise them because lets face it, the veteran is much more likely to be the one initiating the fight, with better accuracy they will probably end it there and then with the newbie not even shooting a single bullet.

The G2A perhaps getting a buff could be true though so just for that I am now in favour of easier aiming even if I think it would throw the new pilots under the bus!
  5. Demigan

The fact that the newbies will be able to use skills they already have for basic maneuvers would severely reduce the chance of the veteran achieving initiative by simple virtue of their ability to do basic situational awareness without fighting the controls. It also means newbies have a better chance defeating veterans when they get the initiative, which is again easier to achieve than before. A Veteran would already have achieved most of the situational awareness and initiative possibilities out of the controls they got, new controls would likely just make it easier to reach their old capabilities but not surpass it much as there’s not much more to gain for them by switching.

Keep in mind that in the current situation newbies are going to lose as they fight both controls and their opponent. Even if veterans would have an easier time defeating newbies it would still be an improvement as newbies would be able to reach capable levels much sooner and will not leave the airgame due to the controls. There is no chance that lowering the skill floor with these control options would suddenly make Veterans be even worse as on every point the newbies get more out of it than the veterans could.
    On that note we already know this idea will never happen. The devs have willingly turned the engagement radar that was added to help newbies into a newbie hunting tool and never even tried to adress it in any meaningful way. Why would they try and make it easier for everyone else if they so deliberately and openly support newbie ganking?