the Gatekeepr needs a buff

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by typnct, Dec 1, 2017.

1. DirectX10

What are you talking about?
    Prowler's anchored mode doesn't affect secondaries.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

It doesn't?
    I swear it did.
    It's been a bit since I used a Prowler.
  3. Pacster3

So which is the gun that matches the MJ and Vulcan on VS? Just curious...
  4. adamts01

The Aphelion. Less powerful than the Vulcan but much more accurate. I've used it and found it adequate, but not enough to have a definitive opinion on it.

http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Aphelion_VEX-4H
  5. Pacster3

You should...then you'd know why VS are using Saron for almost anything. Aphelion doesn't even have the first shot on target...but being accurate doesn't really matter much for tanks anyway. Important is that it packs a punch...and that it has as little bullet drop as possible(or at least not as much as the magrider main gun). Most 1vs1 situations are CQC...(elseway it anyway ends up with hiding behind the next rock and repairing). And those are the situations where people get pissed if they stand no chance to win due to the other player just hitting much harder...
  6. adamts01

The Vulcan hits for 1,430 dps and the Aphelion for 1,333 with twice the accuracy and no spin up mechanic. Both guns out-dps NC up close and both are MUCH more user friendly, VS's gun in particular. VS picking the Saron for almost everything doesn't at all mean that the Aphelion is bad, just that the Saron is that good. Same as when TR only used the Gatekeeper. The Vulcan was still a beast, but the Gatekeeper was that much better.
    • Up x 2
  7. typnct

out dps? you're right at close to 20 meters they out dps by what? 0.1 for the vulcan and 0.2 for the aphelion but is it worth it if the mj can outdps behind hills and at close range+medium+far range? nope mj is currently dominating all vehicle combat weapons at all distances

its not fair to say that a weapon gets such a minimal disadvantage at close range and such huge advantage at ranges that are further away as well

from my experience the mj can solo mbt's with composite armor without a threat of death
    it can dominate everything currently on the ground - harrasers no prob - just get to 20 meters and make them chase you(they dont really have another choice because you will just come back
    lightnings? a piece of cake
    an mbt - usually left with 30% health after killing one unless i overhill then its too easy(15 sec to kill mbt's.... what other tanks can do that? ah yeah a deployed prowler or a magrider 2/2)

this is a critical problem in mbts fights at you cant really escape this especially if its an mbt with the mj
    ive tried it from both sides and trust me i would take the mj to every fight no matter the distance(it can kill from 100+ meters without any problems!)
    from the vs side its a one sided battle and for the tr you must get as close as possible to the harraser and hope you can take him down in the first 4 shots(5 sec minimum) or if he has composite armor then its 10 sec minimum but in that time you have 33% health and burning so if its a fast moving harraser then you are doomed as even shot compensation becomes from 1 5 meters to 10 meters compensation(theres a delay before each shot so its 0.25 sec for the shot to leave and 0.5 for the next one to reaload and another 0.5 delay before reload so combined leaves you hopeless)
  8. ridicOne

I think you should go use the Aphelion more... your missing a huge part about the gun that kinda makes or breaks the usage of it. That being the charged shot, and with the cof on the gun right now unless your shooting at something large like a sundy, your probably missing. It's easily the worst of the 3 for killing AI due to how many shots it takes to kill and the randomness of the gun. It's not complete trash, a good gunner can be effective against vehicles and sometimes air. The problem is your just better to have the Saron on because it is the best secondary in the game.
  9. raffa2

Enough chit chat, this thread is about the Gatekeeper, not other weapons, make your own thread if you want.
    Currently the Gatekeeper is complete rubbish and using is on harassers is completely not viable in any form or way, as the only use it could have is long range weak poking, despite its horrible recoil. while using it on MBT is just mediocre as it doesn't fill any specific role, as you could pretty much mount an Halberd and do the same job at distance, or use a Vulcan for close quarters.

Also this was the only unique long range AV option TR had. Devs get your **** together and give TR a way to fight back from the distance, the prowler can't outmanouver or tank damage, its only strength is its DPS and effectiveness at distance trough anchor.
    You should focus on giving the tank weapons to reflect its specialized playstyle, not taking its strengths away and giving them to all other factions.

There's not a single weapon in the TR arsenal that covers a special role anymore also, when the vulcan came out VS cried for and they had their own version, while the NC at least had something more original.
    When the gatekeeper (finally) offered the well deserved long range AV option that TR didn't have, and had to compensate with good accuracy with the standard rocket launcher, everyone cried because finally they had something to fear once in a while from TR.

Currently we're back to that time again, GK is rubbish and completely unusable, and TR long range options are back to having only lock ons and MBT.
    • Up x 2
  10. adamts01

And I think you should use the other guns more. With the best accuracy of the three, it's the best suited for shooting smaller targets. It also takes the least hits to kill infantry with its 200 damage compared to 143 TR and 100 NC. The charged shot is icing on the cake. And then VS has the Saron. Everything about VS is easy mode.

Everyone agrees the Gatekeeper needs a buff. But a big part of changing it is balancing it not only to the other factions' weapons but also balancing it with the Harasser. And it's honestly not that far off from where it should be. It's accurate, easy to use, and has great velocity. I'd prefer it given its full auto mechanic back and possibly a slight damage buff, but that's about it.
    • Up x 2
  11. ridicOne

That's pretty bold stating the Aphelion is the best gun out of the three over the MJ and Vulcan... I have used all three lots... I've played this game lots... I don't comment on things or items I've never used or tried before unlike some individuals here that will claim and talk about something they never experienced or used. Like I said go use it more just like anyone else who hasn't used all three. It's not even close to the easiest to aim and do I wish there was stats still around.
  12. adamts01

I never said it was the best. And I have used it with success, I just don't claim to know it like I do the Vulcan and Mj. Out of the three I still think the Vulcan is the best, except for certain terrain where the Mj can lob shots over hills at tanks or Sunderers.

You made some crazy claims which I felt needed correcting.

"and with the cof on the gun right now unless your shooting at something large like a sundy, your probably missing. It's easily the worst of the 3 for killing AI due to how many shots it takes to kill and the randomness of the gun."
    • It has the best accuracy and is tied for best velocity.
    • It takes fewer shots to kill infantry than its counterparts.
    "And those are the situations where people get pissed if they stand no chance to win due to the other player just hitting much harder..."
    • Damage is pretty close to the Vulcan when spinup is considered. Plus you can fire in bursts to not waste ammo on a bad shot or terrain, where the Vulcan has to keep the trigger down and sacrifice that damage from that mag. Aphelion vs Vulcan really comes down to skill and awareness. If you let a vulcan get too close then he has the advantage. If you control range then you have the advantage. Plus you get that free damage at the end, which the gun isn't really balanced around.
    • Up x 1
  13. ridicOne

This is where my experience using all guns and using some stats will now, will show your perceived claim to its accuracy being factually incorrect and I'll explain some history behind the gun as well. Just wanted to see how many people would hop on the wagon without actually knowing or using the weapons itself.

So the last line of BS is Dasanfall and with how it collects its data and works doesn't really give it useful justification to using all the stats given. Because changes have occurred over the time and you need to collect data from certain periods of time to make statements. Since these weapons are normally pulled with harassers I will use that info and really the only info needed for this.

Aphelion Accuracy: 45.1% http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/802898
    Vulcan Accuracy: 46.3% http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/6121

Isn't that kind of odd? Since its the most accurate gun?

And lest not forget that when it first was released it was the goto weapon OVER the Saron even surpassing the useage in Long Range engagements. Than they nerfed it's cof as per being able to predict the firing pattern making those iceing on the cake shots pretty hard to predict. They gave it dropoff which was needed because the intention of what it became wasn't the intended intention. Where as the Vulcan you can predict it's firing pattern to line up shots with more reason. The MJ at this point isn't really comparable because of its nature in mechanics and having splash. And I'm fine with the MJ having it's day in the sun as it never really had one.

So riddle me this how is it in the lifespan of the Vulcan it has better accuracy than the weapon that suppose to have the best accuracy? This is how I know someone whom's actually spend time playing with all three of these weapons.
  14. JibbaJabba

*cough* **youknowwhat** *cough*
  15. adamts01

Don't ask me why VS apparently can't shoot. Bottom line is that it has the same velocity as the Vulcan with half the cone of fire and half the bloom per shot. Maybe Vulcan gunners wait till they're point blank because they know they have ridiculous spread? Maybe VS gunners take longer shots because of that accuracy?

What it's all said and done the close range top guns are finally balanced against each other. Any of this perceived Mjolnir OPness is nothing more than TR and VS getting a taste of their own medicine. The gun isn't OP, it just finally works. And if the Gatekeeper was good again, and if the Enforcer was brought up to Saron levels of effectiveness..... There would be a river of VS tears.
  16. typnct

yes the mjolnir deserves to have the same dps as the vulcan(vulcan - close range only less than 50 meters) and the aphelion(medium-close range only) at distances of close medium far very far and get better dps than the gatekeeper at 200 meters

you are right we are the dumb ones and we dont see anything unbalanced with a weapon that is better all around with 5% less dps

im sorry i wish he had one hit kill ability too to make the nc more playable and why not give 50% more passive armor to mj harrasers and call them prowlers

in the same time give them wings and dual mj on each propeller to spread balance everywhere and of course some freeeedom! :D
  17. JibbaJabba

C'mon man.

I missed the Gatekeeper. It came, dominated, and got nerfed while I was vacationing from the game. It seems a passionate topic and I'm enjoying the discussion.

I can't really contribute so won't try but I will call out BS if I see it. Saying the MJ has better DPS than pretty much anything at 200m falls into this category.

If something is at 200 meters you'll be lucky (very) to hit it with the MJ. If you do have such luck, it won't last for the remaining 3 rounds of the shot. By design those will not land at the same location.

If you guys are going to have DPS discussions, best to take the real world into account and not just "spreadsheet" numbers.
    • Up x 2
  18. raffa2

It dominated because it was TR's only safe way to deal with vehicles, as i said multiple times, VS have the hitscan launcher, while NC have the guided missiles.

TR had the long range missiles of the gatekeeper, but now it's back to having nothing.
  19. adamts01

People keep forgetting that all faction top guns got nerfed.

The Gatekeeper really isn't that far behind in damage, it just has a terribly annoying mechanic.

Gatekeeper dps: 233
    Enforcer dps: 250
    Saron dps: 750

Keep in mind that spamming the Saron to get that dps cripples accuracy, but that point blank dps is what makes it so versitile. Add to that the Saron having the best area damage by far, about 5x more effective than the Mjolnir, which is apparently an infantry shredder..... Plus the ability to easily land follow up shots if your first misses, unlike with the Enforcer which has considerable drop and the Gatekeeper which is pretty much a wasted mag if you're off target.

Infantry long range AV is really only possible with the Lancer and Archer, but you shouldn't complain because you get the Striker, which is completely broken OP. Since you mentioned the Phoenix you should know that its range is capped at 300m, so it's not like TR was the only faction who lost ranged ability.
    • Up x 1
  20. Prudentia

i am very amused by a thread full of people who want to balance AV weapons against vehicles while talking about their stats versus infantry and completely glossing over their actual damage against vehicles
    • Up x 1