the Gatekeepr needs a buff

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by typnct, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Luicanus

They do read them (sometimes at least), I've had them reply to my thread before. But the trouble is as soon as it says that a Dev has commented there's a barrage of ideas - not all good - that must flood their inbox.

I'd not be surprised to find that they have a few stealth accounts where they can pretend to be regular planetmans in the discussion and join in the conversation without getting the deluge of comments
  2. typnct

Ahh i found something interesting
    Lately the mjolnir got a ninja buff - more dmg(indirect) but in reality it has alot higher dps(15.6 to kill prowler 1.2 clips and 5.9 to kill harrasers while vulcan is 5 sec to kill harrasers(in effective range thats never gonna happen) and 20 sec to kill vanguard)

Ok now its serious as the vulcan looses efficiency at range(almost 50% thats it engaging) and 30% due to cof the vulcan needs now higher accuracy and range to perform as well at its intended range(closer than the mjolnir)

What is happening here? I felt something was weird lately

This cannot be accepted without counter buff to vs and tr at least at secondary weapons(it outperforms prowlers ap rounds which is not logical)

You can see nc harrasers anihilating everything in their way right now
    I knew something was wrong all day
    • Up x 1
  3. LordKrelas

You want higher accuracy, to the Vulcan, which has a mighty fine time being able to target all manner of threats, and can be boosted by the Prowler's ability...
    Since the CQC Arcing-fire MJ got an indirect buff.

A Knife can one-shot a full health infantry unit.
    We do not see this as OP compared to an assault rifle.
    Can you guess why.
    • Up x 1
  4. OtoriAssahara

I back to E540 Halberd. At this moment MR11 Gatekeeper is useless compare to M96 Mjolnir who had few buffs. The original version of GK was the only right one!
  5. adamts01

STOP COMPARING THE GATEKEEPER TO THE MJOLNIR!!!!! The Vulcan is the Mj's equivalent, and the Vulcan still beats it in pure dps, ease of use, and versatility. The Gatekeeper is comparable to the Enforcer, and they each need a slight buff, especially considering they're competing against the Saron. Expecting the Gatekeeper to match the Mj or Vulcan at armor destruction is simply ridiculous.
    • Up x 2
  6. typnct

Btw the vulcan doesnt beat it in dps anymore the ninja buff wasnt only to the indirect
    The mj now is the highest dps and dpm in the game.
    Dont believe me? Check for youself the vul beats it at killing only harrasers by almost no difference
    The vulcan is supposed to be the highest dps secondary closest range weapon anti mbt specific.

The mjolnir after the buff gets lower ttk an mbt? And at 100+ meters?
    Its a better option all around as you dont suffer from spinup you can overhill

Now doesnt that call for something is wrong?
    As it is more effective than vulcans effective range
    Also it has the dps of a deployed ap prowler
    which is pretty funny
  7. typnct

Now seriously the mj gained a huge advantage at vulcan effective range
    I am ok with this dps as long as the effective range at clloser ranges gets lower and at 25 35 meters gets to its maximum dmg
    This is a simple solution which will make it abit further higher dps
    Or make vulcans max dmg up to 80 meters

This would solve it simply and hopefully without conflict
    (Both these weapons currently are excelent at really close range but the mj gets up to 150 meters and still accurate while the vulcan gets lower dmg in those distances and because of the bloom it naturally miss alot more)

Thoughts?
    (Im currently playing as nc and tr mainly this is the reason i dont like this as it overlaps effective ranges by alot
  8. AtckAtck

Yes, buff the gatekeeper.
    I like the new concept, i like the burst fire.
    But the damage you can do is so little. It just isn't worth using.

(Btw... What where the devs thinking buffing the boombox?! Holy S.... this thing is unbalanced.)
  9. Towie

Buff the Gatekeeper...

Buff the Vulcan...

Mjolnir is too powerful...

This thread is making me smile - Mjolnir was rubbish like forever, it's been buffed so others actually notice it now and guess what - cries of it's too powerful. We've even had a Vulcan harasser complaining as the Mjolnir harasser killed him (which was probably a first).

The Gatekeeper was ridiculously powerful previously - it really really needed a nerf.

The Vulcan needs a buff like Concorde needs a propeller.

I can only assume that many players play just one faction and have a very narrow view of gameplay. Play them all and you'll realise that actually, it's the Harasser itself that's the problem.
    • Up x 2
  10. CMDante

Boyo I think you are seriously over-estimating the ability of the Vulcan to kill anything but armor at close range. It has a 600/143 profile and really rather poor velocity. Which means DPS far lower than any basic infantry rifle and an accuracy that leaves plenty to be desired. If you kill any infantry with it you are either very lucky or they are very very bad
  11. adamts01

That's too ******* funny. And 100% accurate. I'm stealing that.

The Vulcan and Mj are so damn close right now that it doesn't matter. Vulcan is a little more powerful up close and Mj at a little farther distance. Vulcan is easy-button and the Mj has to be led and have drop considered. TR just feels entitled to have OP toys at this point.
  12. typnct

The mjolnir is 0.1 sec to kill up close and better at further ranges
    The mjis better all around

What would you rader have a weapon that only effective at close range( up to 25 meters or a weapon with the same dps to 25+?
    The mjolnir is the same at very close range to vulcan and has better dps at further ranges

Obviously the mj right now
    As it performs the same at all distances better than the vul and is equivalently dps's as the prowlers deployed top ap rounds up to 150 meters

Whats the logic? Outperform at all ranges+ ttk is lower by 5 sec at mbt fights?????
    Dude its op af right now at all battle types
  13. Atorum

Gatekeeper needs buff, its trash compared to Saron, Enforcer.
    Talk here is about Gatekeeper.
    Enforcer has shorter TTK and better accuracy.
    Saron has longer TTK but much better accuracy.
    Try Gatekeeper and lets talk.
    • Up x 1
  14. Luicanus

Totally agree with that, it's beaten in speed only by aircraft, it can now for some reason tank a brick of C4 taking the same as an MBT while being a significant margin harder to get those bricks on.

The lightning is the Paper tank, the Harraser should be like tissue paper in comparison. Its just an up armoured car for crying out loud. Just today I had one roll over 2 mines and keep smiling (smoking) as it buzzed off to repair.

The only possible argument that excuses such tankiness is the fact you need gunner and driver, but that's no real problem so long as the crew is a vet and a rookie who follows orders. If you get two experienced crew (especially with rep grenades) that much firepower, tankiness and speed in one unit is just insane.

Worse yet if you get 2 or 3 working in concert 6 men could rip apart 2 lightnings and 2 MBTs, the nanite cost is either too high for tanks to be so weak or too low for harassers to be so strong.
    • Up x 1
  15. LordKrelas

Kill, yeah not so much.
    I did say target.

Can you target air with MJ? No, it's an arcing weapon, you stare at the sky already.
    Can you target infantry? Yes, but good luck.
    Vehicles? Yes, closer ranges, pray for little movement of target.

Vulcan: Aim at target, account for velocity of rounds, acceleration \ movement of target.
    MJ: Account for arc with limited elevation, account for round velocity, account for gravity, account for mid-flight split, account for target motion & vehicle motion.

3 variables for Vulcan.
    6 variables for MJ.

Vulcan used to shred infantry, if you were outside, it was easily slaughtering anything out of cover.
    If not, it easily slashed most of your health, or ensured if NC, you couldn't ADS without being roadkill.

MJ... better?
    0.1 second against what.
    Moving target? Stationary? Harasser? MBT? Infantry? Range?

Would you rather a weapon that needs 6 variables to calculate to hit, or just aim at the target like you would with any other weapon?

Further ranges... You do realize, without a hill, a MJ from elevation & arc of its weaponsfire can not reach the practical range nor max range of the vulcan right?

Same at all distances: Such as?

All battle types:
    So the long-range bombardment? No...
    Medium-range? No.
    Close-range? Yes.

On a harasser, it's brutal.
    Since that is something with the speed & health to get up close, unload, retreat, and return like a madness.
    But that's mostly due to Harassers being BS for the price.
    • Up x 1
  16. Towie

Oh I tried the original Gatekeeper like forever - abused the hell out of it, although in my defense I did raise many (many) threads about its total OPness. It had hitscan accuracy at visible range with decent DPS - thanks to render issues, the person dying at the other end didn't even see where the hurt was coming from.

Current version - well it seems somewhat like a longer distance Mjolnir. Totally different to the original. I've tried it plenty - is it as good as v1 ? Definitely not - so many have simply switched back to the old favorite, Vulcan, which with the generally shorter TTK these days and its general ease of use is especially potent.

(I'm not saying that GK doesn't need a buff - but I think that CAI changes were so dramatic that it will take a long long time to reach some sort of 'balance').
  17. typnct

false false false and false - you can target air as effectively as vulcan which is practicly 0
    arching weapon - shoot over hills
    better dmg against inf and faster killing times
    vehicles - i took out mbt's from 300 meters without any problems
    close range only? are you nuts? its effective range is from the vulcans and beyong to the sarons dmg range
    vulcan:aim forward from the target and hope he doesnt get behind a tree hill small rock for a sec why? - waste of bullets making the vulcan need to reload
    mj:i can shoot whenever tf i want without any dmg panelties

mj:eek:verhill close,medium,far rage
    ability to kill any mbt faster by 5 sec(crucial)
    best anti harraser,best anti tank,best anti mbt, best anti sundrer(also the longest longliving currently)
    will kill inf from 100+ meters(if you really cant its your fault for having terrible acc and not controlling bursts)
    ease of use - i solo'd the mj and can take out prowlers,sundies,lightnings and harrasers by myself
    best protection without any dmg panelties(no spinup, high dps per exposure, will kill mbt without any problems that way)
    artilery - will shoot far away with high dmg(not possible with the vulcan)
    outperforms gatekeeper, bulldog, vulcan, saron and invades their effective range and usability to kill in shorter times

how to beat mj:get in 5 meters range and keep shooting - chances to survive 20%
    chasing always gives the enemy the advantage but the vulcan must chase why? its dmg lowers dramatically in longer distances while the mj doesnt give a f

the mjolnir is supposed to be medium range weapon - by its constant dps
    but somehow it outperforms vulcan at vulcans effective range
    the sarons effective range and gives dps of max anchored ap prowler - does it make any sense? nope
  18. LordKrelas

Aim up into the Sky, and hit a flying aircraft above you with an MJ.
    And then video this.

As when you are hitting aircraft in the sky with arc'ing high gravity projectiles, equal or better to a direct-fire chaingun..
    Then you can say "yes the MJ can target aircraft just as well"

Shooting over hills, is a double edged blade: You're doing it basically blind, and so are they to you.
    Better damage in practice or theory.

Arc'ing projectile vs straight-shot.
    If Arcing was better, the TR Pounder should be god-level.
    As should any high-gravity shell, rather than gravity being usually quite effective at limiting range.

Vulcan needs to reload: So does MJ, and every weapon.

Saron's effective range.
    In what distance? No.
    Damage? I'd take a saron over an MJ.
    Then again, I'd take a saron over most weapons, unless trying to kill infantry.
  19. typnct

Are you kidding me? I abuse the overhill mechanic in every situation i can in 3rf person
    Also in tank combat as the enemy cant fire back

The vul isnt a threat to air as its too random but so is the mj(although if you can hit with the mj as a surprise it will be more effective although i wouldnt reccomend it on both weapons)

Anyway were off topic

We need to give the gatekeeper something to be useful as i dont even see people enjoy using it right now

I think high dps with long reload would fit it just right! As every voley would be effective
    Or double its ammo to 16 or 24 for 2 3 voleys and 5 sec reload(it feels right now as a poodle. -can bark but wont bite - its badically a death sentence to use it)
  20. LordKrelas

Hmm, just make sure to recall, there is 2 versions.
    Harasser & MBT versions.
    MBT version has deploy bonuses to consider.

I bet the ammo boost to the burst & to the mag.. might help.
    Not entirely sure.
    I worry about it becoming close to the original.