the Flare

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Brickwalker, Dec 22, 2012.

1. SinerAthin

For close range engagements, are you saying that the Flare is inferior to the 88?

Wouldn't its higher damage and soft point give it an advantage over the 88?
  2. Allin

1. Softpoint is BAD. Forget it.
    2. With flare (it's a good gun) just switch it to burst, learn to shoot. 2 bursts are less than 1 second and you can place all the shots in a hitbox smaller than the head itself from 30m
    3. It's also very good at full auto longer bursts, just not on the CQC.

88 is my prefered gun though. It would be an Orion, but having only 200 spare bullets is ridiculous for a high rof gun.
    • Up x 1
  3. Veri

With the Flare soft point ammo is bad.
    Reduces the fire rate to a point where other factions will mow you down with ease at mid and close despite increasing the damage of each projectile.

If you are using an LMG which already has a high fire rate, you can try the soft point ammo and may find positive results.
  4. Allin

Softpoint does not reduce RoF. It's just bad, becasue it gives you 2 debuffs for one small buff.
  5. SinerAthin

2 debuffs?

Doesn't it just reduce bullet travel speed?
  6. Veri

7. Allin

It reduces damage at very close ranges and at long ranges, it gives bonus to medium range damage. So, It's just plain stupid - Wasted certs.

Veri - learn to understand what you read. RATE OF FIRE (RoF) is something else than BULLET TRAVEL TIME. Next time when you want to quote someone, just check if you are not going deeper into your own mistake - also, your signature is ******* annoying.
  8. Ipecac

This is probably accurate. From the ps2.dynet.com spreadsheet:

Soft Point Ammunition - SPA decreases bullet velocity by an unknown value, as well as extending the initial damage dropoff range fro the weapon to 15m instead of 10m and reducing minimum damage by 1 tier (167->143, 143->125, 125->112, 112->100, 100->91).
  9. Strykar

Can somebody confirm this? I've found nothing but success using the Flare with SPA at close-medium ranges. I won't believe this till I see proof.
  10. Krona

Soft point does not reduce damage at close range.

"Soft Point Ammunition - SPA decreases bullet velocity by an unknown value, as well as extending the initial damage dropoff range for the weapon to 15m instead of 10m and reducing minimum damage by 1 tier (167 → 143, 143 → 125, 125 → 112, 112 → 100, 100 → 91).
    17"

It lowers damage at long range.
  11. SinerAthin

Says nothing about reducing ROF.

ROF = Rate of fire, rounds per minute.
    Velocity = Projectile travel speed.

Soft point reduces velocity, but makes no mention of ROF.

12. Strykar

Yepp, seems as if everyone dissing SPA in this thread is talking out of their *** with misinformation.

I'll keep using it until I see some substantial proof for the claims in this thread.
  13. Wrel Developer

Listen to this guy, he definitely knows what he's talking about.

Laughable idiot aside. The Flare, like others have mentioned before, is good, but the recoil can screw you over easily. Sadly, I prefer the Orion over it.
  14. Supercakers

Yep what he said, when you are crouched/standing and firing, after the first bullet recoil you just keep a steady slow downward pull on the mouse and it is very accurate to mid-range. With higher base damage than most other guns AND having HV ammo, I find I do well with it even at medium-long range.

Also, the Flare has all the attachments. Night vision scope +HV ammo +suppressor means bullets travel at a decent speed, it still performs decently to short-mid range when you Deploy into an enemy base by yourself. That means no one but the person you are shooting knows where you are (if they even eyeballed you) because you don't show up on the mini map. Attack from height/odd angles if you can, I've had some of my longest killing streaks alone in enemy base destabilizing generators and moving around taking out people who aren't expecting it.

Soft point ammo, it works alright, but you really have to be spot on with your aim to have a chance, if you get flinched first you are probably toast unless they miss a lot. I have been using it more often lately with 1x reflex.
  15. Glythe

I find the flare really doesn't need an ammunition upgrade (don't like the negatives of either). If it had a vertical recoil grip it literally would be the best LMG without question.

The only downside to the flare is that it has more of a tendency to lose in extreme CQC battles (especially against the TR).
  16. Moonknight

i have the flare since day 1, with FG, Compensator, x2 scoop, soft point ammo. I can down lots of TR and NC at mid range. lets not keep throwing stats.. every guns got pro and cons. its how u shoot. Flare u cant move around left right to get accurate shot cos recoil is indeed an issue at close range. . but does not mean u get gunned down for sure at close combat. Practice makes prefect. i started off from .20 K/D to .75 K/D .. no i never play FPS till PS2. So for flare its definately worth it with new shooter like me playing with pro shooter. High recoil, learn to control.

i got pulsar on other char, less recoil, lesser dmg but shoots more accurate if u like to dance. left right left right. its just personnel preference, no one can rule the other without teamwork. Try stating 1 gun or 1 fraction that can solo whole squad.
  17. Asan

I have been using my Pulsar on my HA for a while now.

I trial'd the flare and went 11-1 in a bio lab and really enjoyed it. I have been seriously debating whether it is worth my certs upgrading it, or if I should stick with the pulsar. Or maybe even go SV88.

Let's hear more from you flare users! How do you think it compares to the Pulsar and 88? I hear some say the 88 is best.. some say flare... I know what I hate about the pulsar is the huge CoF, seems like bullets fly right by dudes!

Seems like when I trial'd the Flare I was ****** faces and downing dudes in no time.
  18. ViXeN

The Flare does pretty well in any situation. Just make sure you buy the attachments.
  19. Brickwalker

The CQC scares me off from the Flare..

Too many times I come face to face with a foe when rounding a corner.With the Flare I just wasnt feeling it.

With the Orion I seem to do much better.Plus,I dont do bad at all at range with it either.
  20. NateTronic

i have the Pulsar and i just got the flare and all its attachments i would say if you can keep a good aim the FLare is a better gun because of its dmg even in close quarters.....the NV scope is a must since it jsut seems to make shooting so clear and even at longer ranges you can keep the thing on target much easier