The F Button

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by qquqq, Jul 18, 2014.

1. qquqq

hi guys :D

I have been thinking maybe we shouldn't drop ammo interrupting fire with a button that has muscle memory for heavy shield medic heal, you know defensive item when you need to be shooting, I'm not saying its a bad thing I thought it was so convenient at first, but after it killed me many times,

I also thought you know I die alot when I'm repairing, I have to change my weapon to my tool and face away from where bullets come from to repair, maybe repair could work like overloading a generator or hacking a terminal?
    repairing maxes or armor of course could not work this way but maybe changing the repair tool to F button or to the secondary weapon and pushing F?

I at least would like to have the ammo pack out of my weapon slot since it just means I will accidentally select it for no reason since I only have to push F to deploy it.

what you guys think?
    • Up x 2
  2. FBVanu

I like the F to instantly drop ammo.

Takes getting used to. Play more. Muscle memory can be re-trained.
    • Up x 9
  3. Ganjis

I keep accidentally throwing grenades. Sticky grenades. Right in the middle of groups of allied infantry. It is.... Embarrassing. I have no idea why this is as I rarely, if ever, do it when using F on other classes. Perhaps it is because I am throwing something and my finger goes to the "Throw thing" key (I use the beneficial revive grenades on medic, so it is not such a stretch). Regardless, I am sure I will learn not to soon.
    • Up x 4
  4. Erendil

LOL Yea I've done that once or twice too since the change. Overall though I love the change since I play mainly infantry and Engie is my primary class.
  5. UnDeaD_CyBorG

All the above.
    I absolutely loathe throwing ammo packs with F.
    I normally play Heavy or LA (No F), and in Beta I played Medic.
    Whenever I play engy to support a vehicle or because the squad currently needs one, and I get surprised by hostile Infantry, I throw an Ammo pack in their face.

No offense, but that is... let's just say I disagree.
    I intend to keep playing a heavy, and activating the shield when you're hit from unexpected angles saves lives.
    You often have a second or less to do it. Why and how I should relearn that every time I switch class is beyond me.
    I've been thinking of using a macro that turns off the F key when I'm playing Engy, but so far haven't found the time.
    Every single class that had an ability until this point benefitted from activating it when being ambushed, heal, shield, cloak to evade.
    LA didn't have one, and neither did engies.
    There is sadly no way to pick no ability. Yes, I'm not the harcore Engi, and most people will probably enjoy it, but whenever I myself kill an engy and he throws an ammo pack in my face I feel pity for him.

Same for the grenades, oddly enough. Must indeed be that "throw"-thingy.
    • Up x 1
  6. Alizona

As I said in the "Double Ammo Pack" thread... I think the F key is the perfect place for the ammo pack.

Disclaimer: I have no bias due to keybinding conflict with other classes. I play 99% of the time as Engineer.
  7. UnDeaD_CyBorG

Does the ability have a cooldown?
    I noticed I couldn't throw a pack shortly after doing so.
    Maybe I can just constantly drop ammo wherever I go as to not hinder myself?
  8. WyrdHarper

I have my ammo pack bound to G, my grenades bound to W, and my mines bound to A (ESDF for movement). Works brilliantly, and since everything is far away from everything else, prevents a lot of this nonsense from happening.
  9. Alizona

We might as well call it a "cooldown". That's essentially what it is, yes. I threw one down with the "F" key, then hit the 6 key and clicked the ground, it took about 2-3-4 seconds before the second ammo pack would drop.

Also, I do this a lot too... after a base capture completes, I want that ammo pack near big groups of teammates. I'll drop one at the spawn point, and then I'll run out towards the road spamming the F key so I keep dropping it in different locations to grab some easy points. But due to this "cooldown", the pack only drops every 3-4-5 seconds as I'm running. It actually works out pretty well since the pack is on the ground resupplying people behind me as I'm running along, and when it finally drops again, there's a whole new group of people to resupply.
    • Up x 2
  10. MajiinBuu

If you are playing support than you should know what your abilities/utilities are. If you're playing as a light assault do you forget and try to switch to your rocket launcher? If not, than why would you make that mistake with an engineer?
  11. GaBeRock

I like the change. It's more accessible for new players, and ammo packs have some hilarious physics.
  12. Gleerok

Happens to me sometimes I don't know why.

I'm running around and then I realize I hit the grenade button, I turn away in the hopes that it will land somewhere safe and then I'm like "well, ****, I'm outta grenades.."
  13. baka

I love the change even though muscle memory and forgetting I picked engineer has killed me several times.
  14. Jogido

I guess they could always make a toggle for those people who spaz F in a fight for all classes ;)

.....OR....better yet. Make the ammo pack do knife dmg when it hits somebody!
    • Up x 1
  15. WyrdHarper

Personally, I wish it would switch back to the weapon you had equipped before you used the ability, instead of defaulting to your primary. I often throw down ammo in-between repairs, and I've accidentally shot friendlies by reflex because of this.
    • Up x 2
  16. Dilys

I have the experience of throwing a grenade when trying for the ammo pack, it's the "g" and the "f" are so close it's easy to hit "g" by mistake or be just a little of when striking the key. I usually play with family and they tease me constantly about the danger of "grenade ammo packs". Practice has cut down on it, but . . . Murphy is alive and well on Auraxis, every fricking continent!

But I will say that it's amusing when some enemy surprises me while I am carrying a mine, it seems that they often get the surprise. A room full of enemy has on occasion been SO surprised by me throwing a mine at them they actually let me do it twice <grin>!!
  17. \m/SLAYER\m/

same story, the only way to interrupt it - swap weapons
  18. reydelchicken

It's the opposite of the HA shield.

Basically makes you loose when you hit F.
    Can be a lot of "Fun : D" after you've been playing HA or Medic lol

Honestly I would like to see different keybinds for class abilities, even if it was just separated into "utility" such as cloak and ammo; "combat" for overshield or AOE heal (probably max ability too).
  19. Casterbridge

Just adding that I too have been killed a number of times cause I reflexively hit my F button (well a different button for me) when I play engineer, before the change I'm sure I did it as well, but there was no penalty, now I stop shooting and try and hit my opponent with an ammo box, doesn't work out to well...
    • Up x 1
  20. RumFive

The F key for class function with Engineer should function same as other classes. By this it should be seemless ability use in the field. medics can still fire while aoe healing, heavies can still fire while using shields, etc. The only exception being Infiltrator. PLEASE correct this new vulnerability and detriment to engineers use of their class ability.
    Do not penalize us for using our class ability as most other classes are not weapon paused while using their class default F key ability. Also remembering which weapon on switching is aggravating also, but it shouldn't even be an issue as ALL other classes to not temporarily put away current weapon to use class ability.

TLDR - Engineer class ability should NOT prevent weapon use. (DUH)
    • Up x 1