[Suggestion] the ex mags MCG needs a tiny little more ammo

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Golconda, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Golconda

the T7 mini-chaingun is a "special" weapon that is not to be used like other LMGs. that's why I think that, unlike other high capacity LMGs, 200/200 ammo profile is really not suited for it.

it has a spin-up time: the mcg starts firing at low RPM and reaches 800 in a couple of seconds. this means you actually have to pre-fire it before you acquire your target (aka waste bullets) in order to deal to it your max damage. other weapons dont need to, and actually work much better if you start firing After you acquire target (obv.).

the mcg has a stagnant CoF which is a bit bigger than opponent's model/hitbox even at a distance of 10 meters, that means that even at "former" maximum damage distance, this weapon will miss some bullets and will deal less damage than it does on paper, even if you perfectly aim and from the very first bullet that leaves the barrel. this means that - regardless of your skill level - while engaging at >8 meters some shots will actually miss your target forcing you to fire more bullets to compensate for the Wasted ones. this is something you can't say for other weapons, in which the first bullets go exactly where the user wants them to go so he won't need to compensate by wasting ammos.

the MCG has a 1.5X headshot damage multiplier. the bullets that go to someone's head will do 25% less damage than other weapons' bullets of the same damage value (their multiplier is 2X). this means that, compared to other lmgs, you need to fire more bullets in order to compensate for the less damage that comes from headshots.

pmuch every review of the weapon says it would be nice to have more bullets in the mag, take wrel's one as example (min 16:05)

long story short, what I am suggesting here is to give the mcg 50% more bullets than what it has now, jumping from a total of 400 to 600. so give the stock mcg 150 bullets in the mag and 450 in reserve, giving also a reason to roll laser sight (now there's none), give it the 300/300 ammo profile if you sacrifice brrt/laser sight/darklight for the ext mags version and (maybe?) make the BRRT cut MCG ammo pool by reducing it to what is now.

so:
    stock/darklight/laser sight MCG: from actual 100/300 to 150/450 ammo profile
    ex mags MCG: from 200/200 to 300/300
    (?) brrt MCG: keep 100/300 as it is now

wut do ya think?
  2. omni2

While i agree that it could be done, i have to point out that the MCG has already been an attachment that the other empire specific HA weapons are lacking.

Beside the fact that the MCG is the better performing weapon in nearly any situation compared to the JH or Lasher.
    i would appreciate a overhaul for all three ES HA weapons.

Just let the lasher shoot through Vehicle Shields.
    MCG and JH are able to do that already and its really nothing special.
    • Up x 1
  3. Golconda

well, mcg has only 2 attachments (no1 rolls laser or darklight cause there's no use for em) while other ESHW have optics, and lasher has a forward grip/ex mags choice. before BRRT was introduced the chaingun had only 1 attachment, pmuch taking away the concept of attachment itself. (just like the jackhammer, no need for optics and just ex mags as usefull attach)
    the brrt imho should have been in from the start, the weapon was underperforming so it got "buffed", its not to be considered a buff to make it someway superior compared to other eshw.

btw I cant see why the lasher should not be able to shoot through vehicle shields, guess it's a bug of some sorts related to the AoE ability of its bullets.

well, I'm a huge fan of ESHW and I use pmuch all of em, having ~7k kills with the mcg, 2.4 k with the lasher and 1k with JH and I dont think there's one eshw better than the others. they just have different niche size.
    every eshw has its niche, some situation where the weapon acts better than any other infantry weapon. the one and only niche of the chaingun is killing multiple targets at <9 meters, to do so you need to pre-fire the gun, letting them know that you are coming and from where. cleaning rooms this way it's not something you do every minute or two.
    the niche of the lasher is AoE, and thats something you do literally every time you shoot. you can hip-fire-shoot while dancing in front of an opponent and kill him with AoE, you can kill ppl at great range due to the fact that AoE damage stays the same no matter how far you shoot from, you can kill ppl hiding behind small cover, you can deal heavy damage to MAXes due to their weak resistance vs AoE explosives, you can deal damage to entire group of enemies sticking together while shooting at just one of em.
    thats something you cant do with any other infantry gun and its only drawback is the higher TTK compared to them (MCG has way low ttk too if not pre-fired, dunno if it can be compared to the one of the lasher tho). to me the weapon is perfectly fine and enjoyable as it stands, if its TTK would be similar to the other guns I think there would be no reason to not use this weapon in every situation. just like spin-up time and stagnant CoF prevent the mcg from becoming everyone's gun.
    the JH has versatility as its niche, since it can basically shift from being the best non-pump shotgun to a modest pump-shotgun. the main problem of it is that we can debate whatever or not a weapon can be called "best shotgun" if the best shotgun class, the LA, can't wield it.
  4. stalkish

Just make it chain fed, no reloads.
    Want to shoot all 400(?) bullets in succession, go right ahead.
    TR needs more 'dakka' as everyone calls it.
    Mini CHAIN gun - make it so.
    • Up x 4
  5. Golconda

that would be cool too :) I played killzone shadowfall two days ago and they have a chaingun that has no reload and fires until the barrels get too hot, actually i find that concept to be great too even if the "sustained fire" capability of the gun would be lost.
  6. Inex

Indeed. The Lasher and Jackhammer never need to worry about missing shots and wasted damage when engaging beyond 8m.
  7. Golconda

I was obviously comparing it to other LMGs, not lasher and -even more obviously- shotguns.
  8. Flapatax

If you aren't using the BRRT you're not playing the game correctly.
  9. Golconda

dunno, the brrt is meant to 1 vs 1, but who would pick the mcg for 1 vs 1, given that it's spinup time is basically more than a standard weapon ttk and CoF makes the weapon deal full damage only at less than 8 meters?

using BRRT you have a gun that fires the entire mag in ~7 seconds, having 4.39 seconds of short and 5.39 long reload time...that sound hella boring, and I think there's a lot of alternatives that does a better work in 1 vs 1 encounters (carv in primis)
  10. Flapatax

It's a better shotgun with slug range, essentially.

• Up x 3
  11. Golconda

sorry i edited my post when you replied xD

I dont think anything in that video could not be made with a carv too or another similar gun, and probably in a better way (especially at range)
    the reason why the user keeps the trigger pulled is because of the spin-up time, but you dont have that on a carv so the bloom isn't really a problem.
    basically, the user there keeps firing while shifting from a target to another, while a carv could just stop firing, acquire another target and fire, with the only difference that doing so would waste less bullets.
    yes the gun does more damage than a carv at <8 meters, unless you go for the head.

btw I think the BRRT MCG is good (but boring imho), thats why I would not change its ammo profile.
  12. Golconda

bump for dakka!
  13. Inex

That was my point - you're comparing it to the wrong weapons. You might as well complain that the MCG's headshot multiplier means it can't OHK at the same range as the RAMS .50.
  14. Golconda

I'm comparing the effectiveness of the MCG ammo profile to the ones of other weapons.

these are the unique features of the chaingun:

spin-up time
    stagnant CoF
    less damage from headshots

all of em lead to one thing: bullet waste. and I'm ok with it, it's pmuch the signature of the weapon! the spinup time is there basically to prevent the chaingun from being used as a burst fire gun, while the less accuracy (fixd CoF) and less reward from headshots are obviously there to discourage its use as a precise gun.
    the t7 is meant to be real dakka, with the BRRT being the only tool to open the weapon to other "more normal" uses.
    what I'm not so ok with is the fact that the gun has same ammo profile of high capacity NC/TR LMGs, these ones not having the same features that lead to bullet waste.
    200/200 LMGs are basically less power/less precise versions of general purpose LMGs, but their proprieties remain the same, no need to prefire, no need to compensate for less damage to heads, no need to be so close range in order to hit things.
    just think about this, if you are at like ~17 meters, the opponent will cover ~50% of the fixed ADS CoF (I dont have the game running right now, gonna check later). in this case the weapon will do straight 50% of its damage, FROM THE VERY FIRST BULLET.
    it means that every shot will have a 50% chance to hit or miss, not depending on skill, and you will have to fire double the bullets in order to deal the same damage to your target!
    I'm not saying it needs a buff to its damage or RoF, but it seems pretty clear to me the fact that since the MCG it's a different weapons, it needs a different ammo profile.
  15. LibertyRevolution

I would be fine with this as long as we also make a few changes to the other factions ES heavy weapons.

Lasher gets heat mechanic. Unlimited ammo, can fire 50 rounds before overheat, down from the current 75 before reload.
    Extended mag option is replaced with a "Heat Sink Rail" attachment that gives 25 more rounds before overheat, bringing it to 75.

Jackhammer gets 42 round drum magazine. Ammo capacity reduced to 42 from 54.
    Extended mag option is is replaced with "Accelerated Drum" attachment that reduces the cambering time on 3 round burst by 25%.
  16. Golconda

i like the lasher mod, it's someway my main weapon and I'd really like it to fully embrace the vanu traits and go infinite ammo :)
    Wuts a round drum mag btw?
  17. OldMaster80

Do you know you can have the extended mag on the MCG? I use that all the time and I can almost fire for 10 seconds without interruption.
    NOTHING comes close to the suppression fire of the MCG indoor.
  18. Golconda

the ext mags unloads 200 bullets in ~14.5 seconds actually, btw I use that too everytime the situation doesn't ask for a BRRT or another gun instead, that's why I'm asking for a magazine buff only to the ext mags and the stock/laser/darklight version. there's plenty of other guns that fire 200 bullets in more time, giving also more precise shots, more damage from headshots and better suppression overall thanks to their being so more useful at range (rhino and carv-s for example)
  19. LibertyRevolution

[IMG]
  20. Golconda

ahaha this looks so OP xDDD