The Engineer's Workshop - Basic Certification Guide

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by DrankTHEKoolaid, Jan 15, 2013.

1. DrankTHEKoolaid

Hi guys the Engineer's workshop is a new series I'm starting dedicated to the Engineer of course. I will continuously cover every aspect of the class as long as I'm playing PS2. This first video is just a very basic certification guide. Thanks!

• Up x 2
  2. Alizona

great guide, thanks - still learning stuff obv...

omg I thought when I used C-4 I lost the ammo pack, at the end he says you can use the turret and hit the B key to switch to ammo pack!!

Also... can someone explain what the (+5%) or (+15%) means at the bottom when the engineer is repairing stuff? Why does the percentage constantly jump around? What determines the percent bonus XP?

Another thing I hope to hear in this series... what is the benefit of becoming a full paying subscriber in terms of XP, along with the "boosts" you can purchase. How much do they help, versus how much real money cost? It's pretty hard just getting +6 XP or +7 XP even tho you get a whole bunch of em per turret repaired. It still takes about 2 full turret repairs just to get one cert point. Quite the grind.
  3. TehFrederick

Good until about 7 minutes in. I have logged over a hundred hours playing engineer alone, and have done extensive research into them, which is, sadly, something I can see you did not. You should NOT upgrade the ammo pack as that is the utility slot ammo pack, not the turret's alternate fire. you would waste certs getting that and your recommended AT mines. The sticky grenade is not broken, and is most likely working as intended. It does indeed stick to vehicles, just not to the ground on the first bounce. I use them and find them infinitely better than the frag grenades. You were also very unclear about how the first level of AT mines gives you two, and the second one gives you three (Which can take the first levels of mineguard out) as well as being able to resupply and lay more/c4 down as well. Additionally, the devs have never even hinted at new turrets, rather the forum has been begging them for it in dozens of threads. I think your guide has a lot of potential, but you need to cover some other basic information and ensure you don't provide false information.
    • Up x 1
  4. Alizona

I also need a good rundown of the primary engineer weapons. I have almost 1000 certs saved up and it's time to decide if any of them are really necessary and worth upgrading from the stock primary. I know pretty much everything in the game is a "sidegrade" more than an "upgrade", and I've recently concluded that the most important aspect of any weapon is gonna be the reload time, not the fire rate. All quicker fire rate does is exhaust the magazine quicker, and you spend even more "down time" waiting for a reload.

As for the repair tool, I maxed that out pretty quickly. The reason is, only at maximum level can you repair a turret with two clicks of the mouse. If you don't buy the 500 cert level, then the second mouse click doesn't quite complete the repair and you have to cooldown and re-click the mouse a third time. With full upgrade, I can click on the turret once, wait until the repair tool gun shuts off, then release the mouse and re-click it immediately. I don't even have to watch the screen, I can listen for the "click" of repair tool when it overheats. As soon as the cooldown is done, the repair will continue automatically. Repairing is boring, so I try to watch television or something while I'm fixing 20-30 turrets of an amp station. :) Since I'm awful at fighting, I prefer the slow but steady accumulation of certs from repairing, because they are guaranteed points without too many problems normally.
  5. DrankTHEKoolaid

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I did fail on that part about the ammo package. I have since added an annotation and I would have done so much sooner had I not been on work. I actually knew all about it too it just completely slipped my mind while I was making the video.
    As for the sticky nades, they do stick to vehicles but not a lot else. They don't stick to the ground or to walls(at least not the ones I've tested) And since they don't actually do any damage to vehicles I don't really see the point.
    As for being clear about the mines at 5:00 I say "It's only gonna cost you 100 certs to carry 2 of them and to carry the additional one is gonna cost an extra 200 certs" I guess I could have worded that a little differently but that seems a little nit picky lol.
    Either way man you bring up some good points, thanks for the constructive criticism.
  6. huller

Protip: if you equip the utility ammo pack you can have two ammo packs down simultaniously. I use this for massive XP gain as well, you can use a loadout slot for this purpose (eg your outfit is setting up a bursternest = profit)

Also, what gun are you using and what is the TR equivalent?
  7. LazyBoot

You get more bonus xp for defending...

The subscriber bonus starts at 20% and will go up to 50% over time (about 6 months iirc), but I think you get the full 50% if you buy 6 months at once.
  8. Adamar09

Not that it matters for you anymore, but it's reasonably quicker to not overheat the gun, since there's no pause for it to start cooling down. Also makes a substantial difference if what you're repairing isn't going to take exact bars.

Starts at 25%, +5%/month.

The defense bonus is 5% for small outposts, 10% for towers etc and 15% for main bases.
  9. Tacos4Life

I believe it's the GD-7F. The TR equivalent should be either the Jaguar or the Lynx. Those two guns are so similar, it's difficult to difinitively say. I'd lean more toward the Jag.
  10. Alizona

DIsagree. While "overheating" (meaning the arm with the repair tool rises upward, but is still working), you are still repairing. So there is no pause in comparison to simply stopping the repair short of a full overheat.

The aggravation of having to click a third time to repair each turret was worth the 500 certs to me, even tho I realize the payback is not worth it (i.e. it will take a long long time to recover those 500 certs just by a short decrease in repair time/mouse clicks for each turret).
  11. Alizona

Thanks.

For anyone who is a subscriber (6 months) and who also applies the "slot bonus" you can purchase with station cash... how many XP do you get for each "bar" of turret repair? With no subscriber and no slot bonus, I get 6-7 XP per "bar".
  12. Tigga

Double ammo packs is indeed very useful in some situations, espeically seeing as the utility slot one can be certed up to be quite a bit better than the "turret" one. In general I'll go for AT mines, but if supporting an AA party I'll tend to instead roll with extra ammo.

Repair gun upgrade is, in my opinion, something that you're going to want in time anyway. The last jump is a bit of a pain, but in my view worth it as a long term investment. More time to go around killing things, and it can save a vehicle in some instances.
  13. TomaHawk

What do you have to cert to be able to lay down dual ammo packs? I've never seen this but would like to do it.
  14. Tacos4Life

Don't quote me on this, but you can use the ammo pack from the "Utility Slot" (the one that is affected by cert upgrades) and you can use the ammo pack that is the "alternate fire mode" (press B) of the ACE turret tool.

The ammo pack from the ACE tool is the equivalent of a "Utility Slot" ammo pack certed to level 3. Currently this ammo pack is not affected by any cert upgrades, whatsoever.

Where folks seem to be having issues, is when the "Utility Slot" ammo pack is certed to level 3. The game treats an ammo pack of a certain cert level, dropped by a certain individual, as a unique item. Therefore one cannot drop two ammo packs of the same level b/c it's interpreted as a duplicate item (via UniqueID comparison).

Also, you cannot carry any explosives and have the ability of laying two ammo packs, as the "Utility Slot" is where the certable ammo pack is carried.
  15. TomaHawk

thank you for the explanation... and coincidentally, I've cert'd the normal ammo pack to 3. If I upgrade it to 4, from your explanation, I should be able to lay down 2 as proposed.
  16. Togg

What primary weapon is that? Looks a beast up close!
  17. Tacos4Life

Look at my post, seven posts above yours.