The cost MAX suits is too **** high!

Discussion in 'MAX' started by NovaAustralis, Aug 23, 2013.

1. NovaAustralis

MAX suits now cost 350 Infantry Resources...
    [IMG]

From a pool of 750, that's very nearly half of all your Infantry Resources.
    MAX suits are also competing with demand for:
    - Grenades, which cost between 45-100 Infantry Resources,
    - C4, which costs 100 Infantry Resources,
    - Anti-Tank mines, which cost 75 Infantry Resources, and
    - Anti-Pers mines, which cost 75 Infantry Resources.

When your faction is starved of Resource flow, this problem is just compounded.

MAX suits used to cost 100 Infantry Resources.
    Without any buffs to MAXs how can a 3.5x increase in cost be justified?
    I don't recall 'MAX spam' being a problem.
    So why the drastic increase in cost?

My suggestion:
    make the MAX suits cost 150 or 200 Infantry Resources.
    350 is too much.
    • Up x 13
  2. Mxiter

It certainly deserve a cost reduciton but not that high, something around 250 or 300 would be more logical as it can be rezzed and isn't a consumable.

150 would be fine if it couldn't be rezzed.
    • Up x 4
  3. Mastachief

It's perfect.
  4. ghnurbles

The cost is perfect if the MAX gets revived a number of times.

MAX revives are junk for gameplay, though, and should be removed along with dropping the MAX resource cost.
    • Up x 2
  5. AlmostTerrible

I agree.

I think they should revert it to the original max cost of 100 resources, but not allow the max to be revived.
    Either that, or give it a revive cap (maybe once or twice).
    • Up x 1
  6. NovaAustralis

I'd be down with that.
    Because the MAX is such a hard target, the work put into getting it down shouldn't be undone so easily.

Then the 100 Inf Res cost would be justified too.
    This would also justify putting all those thousands of certs into shortening the cool-down.

Right now, though, the 350 Inf Res cost means, often you can't even spawn a MAX, so the hard target challenge isn't even there to start with...
    • Up x 1
  7. Vortok

300 would make more sense, to be in line with the Lightning. 100 was dirt cheap. I doubt we'll see any change until the resource revamp when everything will be going off the same resource pool. At least then you can directly compare the cost to air/ground vehicles when debating usefulness/utility provided for the cost.
  8. Excretus Maximus

Then you don't pay attention very well.
  9. NovaAustralis

Please explain.

Before ZOE come out, VS MAXs were rare to see.
    Only TR Mercy MAXs were scary. Now Fracture MAXs are broken OP, but still only encountered occasionally.

What MAX 'spam' did SOE see that they thought the cost should jump 3.5x?
  10. Excretus Maximus

Are you really going to pretend MAX crashes aren't typical anytime two forces are contesting a pivotal point? Maybe it's an Australian thing, because on Waterson TR and NC will drop 10+ MAX suits on a single point at the drop of a hat.
  11. Regpuppy

The current price is just fine for it now. It's a strong AI unit and it's ONLY competition are things you can stack 40x during downtime between battles. Which is why you can't quote prices as a reliable balance. Especially since a lot of them aren't intended to be spammed on a regular bases. The devs have the stats and that's exactly why they upped them so much. People would and still do sit with maxed infantry resources more often than anything else. I'm personally always sitting on 40x medkits, 40xC4, 40x tank mines, 40x conc nades, 40x regular grenades, 40x smoke grenades, 40x AI mines, etc. Which speaks for the absurdity of the current true storage of infantry resources. Even now, it's still cheap unless your faction is getting its *** kicked, which is a resource balance issue and will hopefully get fixed with the resource revamp.
  12. hammyhamm

It's actually a balanced price - it makes you have to think in terms of risk vs. reward with the MAX and play a bit more carefully. Still cheap compared vehicle pricing
  13. Longman

Guess it depends on server and faction you are playing. I am NC on Miller and I feel glad if i get 100 infantry resources every 5 mins. Most of the time its less than 60. I play max a lot and the rest of the time infantry and by now i ran out of anything and have no chance of getting my stock high again. Most of the time i am waiting to gain enough points to get an other max and have no spare points to buy grenades, mines, c4... .
    SOE had it's way to limit maxes with the spawntimer cert-line. Maybe they could change resources to normal and raise the cert cost of the spawntimer by x10. I would gladly pay 10000 certs in exchange for lower resource costs.
    • Up x 1
  14. Liewec123

consumable stacking of C4 is what makes wasting 350 resource on a max so ridiculous,
    there is never a time when i'm under 35 c4's, usually i'm at the 40 cap, and i use a lot of them, i feel guilty every time i c4 a max,
    i bought some c4 2 hours ago when i was about to pull air/tank and didn't need inf resources,
    therefore i get to one shot this guys max suit? nonsense.
    • Up x 2
  15. Regpuppy

That same max you feel sorry for is using the the ability to stack explosives as well and thus does not have much competition resourcewise when he does pull a max. If he sets out to play nothing but max, again. It won't have any competition if he chooses not to use explosives. If he's patient, he can be revived should he actually fall in combat. There are no limits to how many times he can be revived this way. When he's revived, he expends no resources to start using the max again.

Consumable stacking works both ways. It both makes it easy to store absurd amounts of infantry resources and it makes it easy to not have to struggle with the decision to buy explosives or a max suit. Mind you, I don't care for how spammy explosives are. The max suit's price is quite justified, regardless.

Thing is that only limits it for maybe a few months and then the spamming gets bad again. I guess it doesn't matter anyway though, since the resource system is basically being reworked from the ground up. Hopefully this means less infantry explosives spam and less cycling of different vehicles for the zerg. It'll also mean you're not screwed by having fewer bases since your resource gain will be based purely on the one you're at. Will help solve a lot of resource gaps between winning, losing, and hopefully they pull the resource boost from membership in that time too.
    • Up x 1
  16. PWGuy93

The Max should be recategorized for what it is, it's a vehicle, it should use vehicle points to spawn, then people would realize why the cost is so high.
    • Up x 2
  17. ohmikkie

It's fine for me.

Balancing can never be perfect because with full membership the current cert cost is irrelevant. The devs have to cater for those without and those with varying levels of membership and a middle ground that is meant to be comfortable for the highest demographic.
  18. Soporific

I play an engineer and AA MAX secondarily and I'm constantly out of resources. I would give up all my air and half my vehicle resources to have more infantry resources or MAX cost of about 200. I'm not a freebie player either.

~S
    • Up x 2
  19. Ganjis

What annoys me is they have taken my money for weapons, taken my certs for cooldown reduction and then thrown in a huge resource barrier (which acts as a psychological barrier as well as an actual one).

I would remove the cost (or set it low) and remove the ability to revive MAXes (which i find cheesy).
    • Up x 1
  20. KnightCole

Makes em unspammable.