[Suggestion] The Cletatron-5000 or Another dumb LA tool suggestion

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by CletusMcGuilly, Aug 31, 2013.

1. CletusMcGuilly

Like most of you on the LA forum, I've been racking my mind trying to figure out some sort of tool that could make LA's more of a team class than it currently is. After a lot of dumb ideas, I think I may have found the thing, or possibly another dumb idea. I'm calling it the Cletatron-5000.

The Cletatron-5000 is a Limited Portal Generation Device. It basically does what it says on the box, drop a portal entrance, drop a portal exit, and it creates a [very] limited portal to allow other infantry around obstacles that they normally can't. If you've played GW2, its akin to the Mesmer portal.

Obviously, a Limited Portal Generation Device has certain...limitations. The following are those suggested limitations:

Temporary-ocity-ness - It lasts only 5-10 seconds. Portals are energy hogs, and the generator can only last so long.

Limited Ranged-ness - It can only carry you a maximum of 100 meters. Maybe less. But that's more than you need really.

Members Only Access - Only squad members can use the portal. Portals are picky like that.

No Heavy Loads - No MAX units. Obvious limitation is obvious.

No Warping On Objectives - Generators and capture objectives radiate waves of McGuillitronic energy that tend to make portals unstable. Some test subjects came out the other end as Amerishan Reachcats! User Beware!!

Limited Supplies - The people over at NS said it might take a number of resources to build such a module. "Hogwash", I said, because that was the fellers name, "none of the other classes have to use resources for their tools". Hogwash responded, "Well none of them can instantly move 11 other people 100 meters away before you can say 'Oh crap, I'm being moved 100 met...rawr I'm a Reachcat'". And I think he's right on that one. It could be possible to redesign the module to allow it to recharge over a period of minutes.

Notes: This doesn't do anything more than a Gal Drop/Sundy Crash/Spawn Beacon does, but it's different enough to be useful in many situations. I think I covered all my bases in order to prevent the tool from being OP. There's always the possibility that I've overlooked something obvious though, so tell me how you would abuse the crap out of this tool.

Instead of just not allowing MAX units through the portal, an alternative could be to allow some through via a mass requirement akin to the one governing Wormholes in EVE Online. Basically every class has a set mass, and a portal can only move so much mass before it implodes. But I think that is overly complicated both for SOE to implement, and for players to use. And lets be honest, this playerbase isn't exactly the smartest in the world. I had 10-15 people shooting bullets at my tank this morning. Several were HA's. Thanks for the 6.x k/d this morning dummies. True story.

inb4; This is an amazing idea Cletus, now take your meds and go to b...rawr I'm a Reachcat
  2. Iridar51

Nice idea, but battles may get hectic, gal drop requires certain structure to do, and spawn beacon only allows to arrive in drop pods, with a lot of noise and for everyone around to see. This portal seems too convenient, bordering on the best way to assault enemy bases. And 100 meters seems to much, at most this should allow to get through walls rawr I'm a Reachcat
  3. CletusMcGuilly

True. The portal could be loud and bright, and even show up on the minimap to make it more noticeable. Also, know that when I suggest using lots of resources in order to use it, I'm talking about 200 infantry resources. In a class that, for me at least, is often resource starved.

But the point of it is to be more convenient than the other ways moving infantry, at the cost of more resources and slightly less power (fewer people, no MAXes). I mean you could take an infiltrator, hack a vehicle terminal, pop a sundie and then put an infinite number of MAXes on top of a cap point from hexes away. Or using this device, you can quickly move a handful of guys to create a disturbance in another area of the battle/get some people near a certain objective/get idiots out the teleporter room in those Vanu-damned bio labs/etc.

I know 100 meters may seem a bit much, but there's reasoning behind it. For one, with the portal only lasting 5-10 seconds the squad is going to have to group up in one spot in order to use it. Standing in a group right next to enemy walls is not the greatest way to do that, you would want enough distance to do it from behind cover. Another reason is to be able to use it to move infantry around mountainous/hilly terrain like you see throughout Amerish/Indar.
  4. Unclematos7

How about this feature:The portal takes 10 seconds to deploy and can be deployed prematurely from 5 seconds and onward. Premature portals will glow a different color from normal portals. Prematurely deployed portals are highly unstable and whoever passes though them has a 50% chance of getting teleported somewhere else or dying in a spectacular manner.
  5. Corezer

What if I surrounded the max in living tissue?
  6. Cromell

It would be called T1000.

Thinking with portals in Planetside.... that would be awesome :D