The Absurdity of Forced Population Balance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Snow Sheltie, May 7, 2016.

1. Stigma

Whatever they do they need to adjust the parameters of this balancing stuff.

I think it is actually not a bad idea in principle, but OBVIOUSLY it is not acceptable when you end up in situations where a continent gets locked (or you have been placed in VR) and ALL of the continents have queues. This actually happens so frequently when a continent locks that I am basically being forced to restart the game (or wait 10 minutes doing nothing but looking at my map screen).

I also tend to think that equal continent pops doesn't really have that much to do with good, even fights. Very often you can have relatively even continent pop, but that pop is very badly distributed between lanes. One force steamrolling 2:1 in the north while the other force is steamrolling in the south ect. and that's not really something you can enforce with rules in a game this open.

So I think there is room for queueing as an incentive to go to a place where you are most needed, especially for larger groups, - but it should be a much laxer restriction.

-Stigma
  2. Halkesh

Once I was force to play into the VR room because I had queue on both continent...
  3. AtckAtck

My personal review of the latest Patch:

I have basically stopped playing Planetside for some weeks now, after having played for over 3 years and auraxed 25+ Weapons.
    (I am a F2P Player and will probably always be as long as the Euro prices don't become reasonable, it's just too high cost for too little gain. Basically it is not about "cannot afford", but "don't want to afford".)

I play TR on Cobalt, and thus this reflects only the situation for me on this server.

The new System is utterly bad, I log in and get forced into VR. Great...
    Then I have to wait either 15 min. to play on a populated continent,
    or I have to play on Hossin, the least populated ever. Everybody hates Hossing, exept the Vanu.
    Gameplay there is non existent for TR, you will get "rofl-stomped" every time. Not Fun.

Then, after 15 Minutes I can switch to a more populated continent.
    Only to find the same situation again.
    player count may be perfectly balanced now, but TR don't stand no chance against VS. So most choose just to ignore them completely and fight nc instead. Thus every time I log on I see 2 locked continents by VS.

Really I care little what can be done to truly balance the fights, but that a vast majority of a faction chooses to ignore one enemy faction completely should tell you that there is a big problem.

The new construction system is pointless. Empty bases farming victory points, unpopulated. No spawning system there.
    There is really a lot of improvement still to do. Right now no serious fights happen there. All it does is divide the player base into builders sticking to their constructions and the classic players.
    From my point of view cobalt doesn't have the player count to support the new meta at all, only reducing the amount of hostile encounters.

And lastly: Anti-Cheat -> NON EXISTANT!
    Really get your heads out of the dark place where it sticks right now and do something devs!
    The amount of cheating, aimbotting, big hitbox, wallhacking ***** is so gigantic that this is the last nail into the coffin.
  4. Kdog559

I understand they want to make it work by how many players are on the continent at one time,But if they are going to use there percentages to determine the Que time then they should not make it to were pop is over 10% on one given faction. I would like to see a 8% overpop max,but that's it.Something like VS 31% TR 38% and NC 31%.That's when they should make the Que start.This is a tactic they are using to get new members to gain membership so they could play on a continent that is in Que hoping to get in faster if they were to get a membership.But then again you will or could lose new members joining or old vets who have played this game since start and put enough money into the game.To me their numbers based on the Que time's seem off and it needs to be reworked just alittle bit.
  5. Snow Sheltie

After dealing with this system for nearly a month as a platoon/ops leader, it has not gotten any better, and it hinders platoon cohesion tremendously, especially when attempting to deploy to a continent with one faction overpop, because the game now believes that both opposing factions must want to fight on a continent or a queue will ensue.
  6. SnipeGrzywa

Let me get this straight. You have played for 3 years, never giving a dime to the company that has brought you 64d 2h 15m of play time (on Atkatck character, no idea if you have alts) . . . because you don't think they are giving you anything worth money, that you admitted you could afford, you just aren't choosing to afford . . . Just pure membership with 12 month plan would put you around $0.20 an hour of game time . . . Convert that as you will, that is still cheap as entertainment . . .
    • Up x 1
  7. AtckAtck

Obivous troll, but I will bite...

Yeah I still don't see anything wrong with that. I am not the one who chose a F2P Model for my company...
    But because of this, like in every other F2P game out there, the prices for either membership or single purchase items are ridicoulsy off scale in comparion to normal full price games and even full P2P subscriber models.

Really what do I gain from a Membership for planetside? More XP whohoo. I can just play longer instead.
    More Resources, alone not worth a subscripton.
    500 SC a month, might as well convert the money for the subscription to SC from the very beginning. Then I can buy the camos that don't help me vs the spotting system... Or buy the weapons that I could just get for playing longer.

But apart from that, this has nothing to do with the absurdity of the queue system right now.
    Even Members have to wait now.
  8. stalkish

Totally agreed, and is why i think the balancing thing is nonsense and doesnt work.
    Tried to say the same in another thread, but i was shot down by abusive trolls. Perhaps i didnt word it as nicely lol.
  9. stalkish

I dont think he was trolling you.

His point was, the game was worth over 64 days of actual play time to you, yet you think its not worth paying for?

Were you entertained for those 64 days?
    If you answered 'yes' then it was worth your money, and as he put it, at a measly $0.20 p/h, peanuts.
    If you answered 'no' then why did you play that long and why are you still playing?

Also noticed you accused him of trolling, but didnt click reply on his post, almost as if you dont want him to see the response.......for some reason.
    • Up x 1
  10. Taemien

The reason for membership is for EQ1 or EQ2. PS2 and DCUO are just a 'bonus' to that. There's no reason to have membership if PS2 is your primary game. They seriously need to relook at the member benefits for PS2 to make them worth it.

In fact the best way to pay for your membership is to play one of the EQ games and buy Kronos with coin, or trading high ticket items. Kronos used on EQ1/2 apply membership to the whole account. Unfortunately the game you use it on gets the credit.. not PS2.

But it helps avoid the 14.99 a month.