The absolute worst part of this game is the spawn rooms

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WorldOfForms, Oct 16, 2013.

1. bobek388

To prevent spawn room camping I think that once all contol points are taken then at 1/3 of the defeat/victory timer all spawners should be disabled and spawn room should become a restricted area. This way defenders wouldn't be able to sit whole time inside the spawn rooms and attackers would have nothing to camp for. Then defenders would be able to spawn one base behind and do a counter-attack before attackers take over that base. This would improve gameplay greatly.
  2. AzureKnight

Well, at first, I think towers had two way shields that both sides could shoot in to. The lower exits originally didn't have the shields there and neither did the upper and the mid exit I don't think existed. They were camped even worse by infantry if you can imagine that. Then they changed it so the upper area and lower area had shields and only defenders could shoot out. People stopped caring about their bases and in many examples would actually let the enemy circle the spawn room so they, the defenders, would farm the attackers.

Now it's a no shoot shield and everything waits just around the corners of them meaning anything that exits gets shot and killed before being able to leave.

If you change where spawn rooms are or their mechanic, the same thing will just happen wherever the exit point of the spawn room is at. If there are doors and underground rooms like in PS1, what's to stop the same thing from happening that happens now inside biolabs? The choke points, any point where there's only one path or one hall, will be farmed by the superior force, or whoever has the most MAXES.

I actually believe, if you truly want to fix the spawn rooms, you need to look at one class's weapon: The Medic's Gun. That is the true problem of this game due to the fact it has no overheat, no cool down, and as long as 1 medic is alive every kill you get is null. An example would be I dropped a stick of C4 on a group that was camping that tower hallway, killed 6 people in 1 blast but a medic was just outside its range and lived and rezzed everyone.

If the medic gun overheated the way the engi's repair gun does, say 4 resurrects in 8 seconds with no breaks causing overheating, you'd find infantry camping a lot less of a problem and towers in general would be not as much of a camp fest.
    • Up x 1
  3. Goretzu

All this really does is buff the Zerg though, and means that a base becomes near impossible to take back in that last 1/3 of the timer.

The organised counter-attack gets brought up a lot, but the reality is that is a 1 time in 100 situation, where as 99 times out of 100 it isn't going to happen or work for a myriad of reasons (the main one being if you have enough for a successful counter attack, you wouldn't have lost the base in the first place).

I think better base design is the first step.
  4. Goretzu

Interesing idea.

Although at the moment I'd settle for them changing the lower exit in towers so that mines can't kill you in the transporter before the splash screen even ends though the spawn shield.
  5. SarahM

Above all, spawns need more exits and in different locations, so attackers can't just focus their force on one little hut.

Underground spawns rooms would be nice too.

Breakable spawnshields/doors on the other hand... no, just no.
    Instant-redeploy all the people in the spawn room when it's compromised and this might be acceptable, but spawning in a room full of enemies is never fun.
  6. asmodraxus

I still say that the easiet fix would be some way for the attackers to turn off the ability of the defenders to spawn, say by destroying some kind of spawn control unit...

Give every single minor base said SCU and larger outposts two or even three SCU's and major bases four or five (with penalties to defenders spawn timer if an SCU is toated), some shielded others just placed somewhere close to a spawn room or somewhere vaguely defendable.
  7. Pikachu

Nerf overwhelmed defenders and capture times.
  8. travbrad

Most of the issues with spawn rooms are related to zerging bases with 90% pop. There's not much reason to even try leaving when you are surrounded by such an overwhelming force, especially when they stand in front of the shields like idiots giving you a bunch of free kills.

As long as the game keeps rewarding full XP for capturing nearly empty bases there is nothing to discourage overwhelming zergs. Too many people play this game for the certs/XP, and not the shooting and fighting part.
  9. Axehilt

Probably the same way we did it in Planetside 1?
    • Generators and Spawn Tubes had to be physically (and loudly) destroyed.
    • A single infantryman couldn't (with one loadout) destroy a Generator, let alone an infiltrator who had even less damage per loadout.
    • So it took multiple trips to a hacked equipment terminal to solo a generator.
    • The nearest equipment terminal was always quite far away, and even the nearest deployable Sunderer (AMS) locations were far.
    Planetside 1 also serves as a good reason why this could be done in a way that really improves combat and reduces spawn-camping:
    • Often in PS1 spawning would get disabled during the 15 minute capture time
    • Now defenders aren't spawning in some shielded spawn room, but at the next-closest base
    • That base has access to every type of combat vehicle
    • Everyone grabs one
    • Now you either have a big vehicle battle for the base which is being captured or you kill the attackers' Sunderer (AMS) and deploy your own and gradually clear out the infantry inside the base to stop the capture.
    The worst part of the system (and why I would prefer a hybrid PS2 system over PS1's system) was waiting 15 minutes for a capture where nobody comes to resecure. That was really boring, and in that respect PS2 is definitely better. But I feel like we can get closer to the good parts of PS1 if more bases have full vehicle access and if there are more times where the defenders get completely booted out of the base back to one of those vehicle bases.
  10. bobek388

Well actually in most cases there is enough people to do a successful counter attack but most of these people sit in the spawn rooms and they won't move until the base is taken over because they feel safe in there, they get free kills through the doors and windows and they never even think of the counter attack. Some more organized groups try to do a counter attack but they don't have enough people.

With my idea at the 1/3 of the timer, spawning rooms of the defending base would become restricted areas so all the defenders would have to move back a base, then organized groups would organize and lead the counter attack and more casual players would follow them thus giving organized groups enough manpower to do a successful counter attack.

Right now defenders are just surrounded in the small spawning rooms, if spawning rooms would become restricted after certain time when the base is being taken over then defenders would be able to surround attackers who still wait for the timer to finish, this would give higher chanches of defending the base.
  11. CanadianAttackBeaver

I think the easiest fix would be that once the control point is taken, defenders are allowed to drop pod in every respawn. That would force defenders to stay organized and allow cooridnated squads/platoons to plan their drops to retake the control point.
  12. Goretzu

I always say this, but it's always true.

I've never seen enough people to retake a base just sit in the spawn room.

For a start if there'd been enough in the first place they'd never have been pushed back to the spawn room originally.

And again with the counter attack idea, yes I agree in that 1 in 100 situation where orgainised groups are there and sweep in and there are enough people there (that bizarrely weren't there 2 mins before when the prior base was taken) it can work, but it is the 1 time out of 100.

Building a game around that idea will simply mean the Zerg is more powerful 99 times out of 100, utterly ruining the game.

Base design is the answer, not making the game much, much harder for those already outnumbered and losing.