The 0 Cert challenge. This game is not Pay 2 win.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FortySe7en, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Kail

Playing with 0 certs or unlocks basically continuously simulates logging in for the very first time (granted, the familiarity with the game can't be reset, but that's outside a P2W argument anyway). What he's trying to show is that a player dropping out of the sky after watching the opening intro can kill anything they come across. Might take some finesse (mainly in regards to AA), but it's completely doable.

Personally I really like most of the stock guns... and honestly, I don't know why, but I kinda like the stock iron sights too.

Sadly some people are angry that someone else paid to specialize in a particular role a week earlier than they could have earned it by playing.
  2. FortySe7en

I don't think the word excuse means what you think it means. Stating I am not an above average player means exactly that. I have only played PS2 casually, and have no intention at this point of playing it competitively.. ever... So my statement is correct. Just because I have played professionally in the past doesn't mean I am doing so today, so yes, I am not an above average player in PS2.

Second of all my title states nothing. If you stopped getting so defensive (notice no one had said anything in a while and you randomly quoted me from days ago just to start a fight) and actually READ the threads instead of trying to flex your e-nuts at me, then you would see that I do indeed have several characters, some use SC, some use Certs, and some don't use either.

As far as you not liking my videos, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Fortunately for me, yours doesn't affect anything. This demonstration proves plenty to the people who actually understand what is happening. If you don't like it, you are welcome to take your happy *** out of my thread :)
  3. FortySe7en

^ This is so true!
  4. Fear The Amish

GL 47 haven't had a chance to tune in but i like how your proving what everyone who plays regularly already knows to the forumside garbage.
  5. FortySe7en

Rock on man. I'm just trying to show people that the game is fun and enjoyable without having to put a ton of time and effort into it. You think people would be happy with that instead of trying to prove me wrong.

And they wonder why gaming communities fail :)
  6. Xinceidi1

So when are you going to be getting into an ESF?
  7. PrincessFrosty

Er what?!

K/D ratio of 1:1 is by definition the average player (ignoring suicides) because every kill you get is someone else's death so for every 1.7 K/D player out there there's a bunch of players out there who have K/Ds less than 1.0, an average player by definition is a K/D of 1.0

So yes when you're at a K/D of 1.7 or whatever you had, then you're "above average", way above average. What you're trying to infer by showing us good stats is that you don't need to spend certs to get good stats (to win) which is true, but it's not what people are saying...what people are saying is that it's a game where you can pay for an advantage and that is DEMONSTRABLY true, if you're arguing that point then you don't know what you're talking about.

As i've said, if you want to prove anything, you should measure your K/D of a zero cert character vs the K/D of another character where you spend your certs however you think is best. Measure the DIFFERENCE that those spent certs make between your 2 character, and then we can judge if they're helping you win or not.

Any good player can run out and own newbs who have 1000's of certs, while using a stock character because ultimately the difference in skill is WAY bigger than the difference the certs can buy you, but denying the advantages the certs give you (no mater how small) is quite frankly stupid.
    • Up x 1
  8. FortySe7en

Well gosh :oops: I think its awesome there are people out there who think I am above average planetside 2 player. It means a lot.

As far as payable advantage, if anyone is arguing for it, they are quite the idiot. You have to give up an advantage to use another advantage. That isn't pay to win. That isn't an advantage. That is a playstyle. I've been in beta for a long time, and now into launch. The coders and developers who are taking feedback from me seem to trust me, so I think I'm doing alright with this demonstration.

I appreciate the input, but you need to read the rest of the thread. I do indeed have several other characters using certs, which anyone will point out. Any good forum user will read the entire thread before making accusations about a demonstration that the ps2 team is behind... denying that is quite frankly stupid. ;)
  9. Badname2059

great way to deflect the question and set up a strawman.

Inb4; I have read this thread, and you have yet to reply to the obvious flaw in your logic. That being, while this is a nice demonstration of how to enjoy this game as a F2P...

This Doesn't prove, at all, this game is not P2W. Despite your assertions in the thread title and later in the thread.

Seriously, it doesn't. You have nothing to draw a meaningful comparison to. Do a cert/SC play through, with the exact same hours played, and compare results. Otherwise what you have done has failed as an experiment and proves nothing. I also agree for the most part that this game isn't P2W, but be reasonable, this LP does absolutely nothing to reaffirm that argument. So please stop deflecting all the reasonable arguments and throwing around accusations of e-peening when it is you yourself that is having a bit of an epeen issue you need to adress. if you want REAL proof you need to draw meaningful comparisons.
    • Up x 1
  10. Campor

Okay, I have to ask- If paying gave ABSOLUTELY NO ADVANTAGE, even if only temporary (which it is), then why would the vast majority ever pay? They need to get money somehow, and yes, buying something to get it faster gives an advantage. For all of a week.

Then the dedicated free players get the same thing without paying a penny, and then what? The 'advantage' is gone. There is no pay to win there, it's paying to get a temporary advantageous boost which is then negated when the free players get exactly the same thing. All you're paying for is spending less time to get something you want. Nobody can buy something that gives them an advantage that can not be counteracted by time spent by free players.
  11. Zironic

You'll notice that people pay loads of money for no advantage in League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, DotA 2 etc.
  12. Campor

No they don't. Some people consider certain champions in the MOBA games you listed to be better statistically and pay to use them whenever they want. Paying to gain an 'advantage' over free players by ease of choice. Which is what this game has.

In TF2 you can pay to have a chance of getting better items than other people more often than free players have a chance of earning them. Paying for a speed advantage. Which is exactly what this game has.
  13. Badname2059

Did you even read what I said? Nothing you said had anything to do with what I was quoted as saying. I agree with you, entirely. My post had nothing to do with the P2W argument, only pointing out the flaw in the OPs logic. So why the quotations followed by rant about P2W?
  14. FortySe7en

No e-peening issue here. I am simply performing an experiment that was asked to be run. All the numbers and data are collected by SOE and reviewed. I'm sorry that you have failed to grasp that this experiment isn't for "just you" but the community as a whole.

I will continue my research throughout the duration of the gameplay, as will others whom the developers seek information from, and they will do whatever they want with the data. This really isn't about pleasing some angry mobbers on a thread, this is giving people an opportunity to come see that you can do just fine without investing money and a ton of time on a game.

So far, so good ;)
  15. FortySe7en

No. You have an opportunity to purchase items that change your gameplay. Again, to use one item, you have to give up another. That is the definition of playstyle, not pay to win or pay to advance.
  16. Ixal

Rofl. You are really like the PS2 version of Fox News. Extremely biased, twisting everything to promote its agenda and only taken seriously by people sharing its believes despite all evidences.

If you really would be interested in an experiment Mr. average 14 year veteran pro player you would not have written the conclusion of your experiment in the headline and would actually perform an experiment which proves anything except "look, I can somehow play without spending money but I won't measure effectiveness. See, not P2W..."
  17. Badname2059

Not sure at this point if you are in denial or stupid as ****.

Can you define for me an experiment? Something tells me your understanding of an experiment, and the data gathered from them, is skewed from that of reality. Specifically, you seem to lack comprehension of something called a control.

We have already determined your K/D ratio is above average without certifications, fine. But without the comparison to a control, IE YOUR performance with the use of certs/SC in a controlled environment, ALL comparisons to the average can be disregarded as biased. tl;dr The data you are collecting has no value, since there is nothing to draw a meaningful comparison to. Your data fails, therefore the experiment fails. Please stop setting up straw-mans (seriously, at what ******* point did I say this experiment was for me and not the community?) and address this critical issue with your "Experiment", and perhaps people will be more inclined to take the "experiment" seriously as proof that P2W isn't a real issue. So far? Full of ****.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ixal

Chill dude.
    Do you really think that guy is interested in the experiment when he makes his conclusion "Not P2W" before it even starts?
  19. Campor

There are some items available for SC purchase that are inherently better than current items for the same purpose. Namely rockets on fighters and the locked ground pounders on Liberators. For the former you give up a slightly longer afterburner which is not much of a sacrifice, and the latter you give up a less effective ground assaulting turret. The majority of the time these are more effective than the given equipment. That can't really be reasonably denied, but they can be earned through gameplay over time which negates the entire Pay2Win argument.
  20. FortySe7en

I wrote the conclusion in the title because I was unaware that there were so many idiots online who didn't understand the difference between "pay to win" and "gameplay styles". But since you have fully admitted to being one of them Ixtal, in the future of this experiment, I will break it down barney style for all to understand.

There are very few people not using certification points at this point in the game. So being able to drop into instant action, and be able to compete against everyone there who are using certifications is enough to prove the initial thought.

Upon further testing, a thesis will be derived to show the exact difference between purchasing SC or using certification points vs not spending SC or cert points.

Instead of being one of the forum trolls who has to argue about everything, how about you run the experiment yourself. Then you can prove your point and stop whining hmm?

I will be more than happy to add your conclusions and thoughts into my own experiment. Just let me know!