The 0 Cert challenge. This game is not Pay 2 win.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FortySe7en, Nov 28, 2012.

1. PrincessFrosty

Sorry but this is worthless.

You're obviously an above average player, I don't think anyone is saying that it's impossible to be above average with 0 certs spent, the point that is generally made is that people are paying for an advantage, which is demonstrably true. If you want to provide something of some value, it would need to be a comparison between your 0 cert character and your regular character all kitted out with upgrades and then measuring the difference between the performance.

People have made some good points here, for example AA is only obtainable through Certs/SC so playing stock builds is fundamentally flawed, we need AA, just a basic truth of the game.
  2. FortySe7en

I'm really not an above average player. I'm actually quite terrible. I just know how to position myself "not camping".

Like I've stated a few times in this thread, the data for this test will not be fully available until at least a month or two into the game. Only then will people be certed and station cashed out enough to the point where I can get them into an actual test.

What we are doing right now is proving that you can hold your own without certs or station cash. Again, I have not run into a single person, or aircraft, or vehicle that has absolutely destroyed me because of "upgrades". I've even taken out cycler maxes with full health head on using rockets with alternating gauss fire.

What people are failing to understand is the concept of how certifications and SC work. If you have an aircraft with air to ground rockets, sure they are going to dominate infantry... that is THEIR JOB. But now they are lacking air to air support which means they can easily be taken out by someone from the air. It is a DIFFERENT mechanic, not an overpowered mechanic.

As infantry, (and by watching my stream people know) I don't camp, at all. I don't sit in bases and farm kills. I am constantly running around the map, in the open, taking on vehicles, aircraft, and other infantry. When I die, there is an analysis that goes behind it, and see what killed me and for how much damage. I have yet to come up against anything that made me say "WOW WTF HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE" because it all makes sense. Aircraft with air to ground, sure. Vehicle with anti-infantry, sure. One shot to the face with a sniper, sure.

What I haven't seen is, "Wow that guy has extra shields and i just unloaded an entire clip into him and he just turned around and shot me in the face and only took half shield damage." or "Wow, there is an enemy with a weapon that 2 shots everyone and theres no way to even get close to them". This is what constitutes P2W. So far, I haven't noticed a difference other than tactics for both my characters. One certed, One Not.
    • Up x 1
  3. VoidMagic

So first off I love what your doing, and glad YOUR doing it so I don't have too lol... but, your not going
    to spend the certs you earn on the field? That's nuts... glhf!
  4. Epicbob

its time to get a job guys so u dont need to cry about a free game .. they want to make money for their work like every normal people on this planet..
    • Up x 1
  5. Tiny

Pay to win may seem extreme, I prefer Pay to get ahead, because this is actually the truth. Skills can only get so far, if the same person played 1 month, got their max certs for their specific class due to the cert booster(s) and the equal skilled player gets half of it due to no boosters, you cannot argue that isn't pay to win, because by money, he got an advantage. But as long as it doesn't go any further I have no real problem with the benefits bought from r/l currency.
  6. FortySe7en

That isn't pay to win. The definition of pay to win means you pay money to get something that completely changes the gameplay for everyone else who doesn't have that item, and is then forced to buy that item.
  7. Tiny

Not everyone has the same definition - Either way, at least admit it's pay to get ahead, because that is 100% truth.
  8. Aciada

sup, when can i expect to see you stream again? ive been fllowing the thread but have yet to see you play, unfortunately my sound isnt working but im bored as hell and on a PC that cant play ps2 at the moment so id love to at least see someone else playing!

keep up the good work in anycase, as someone who has spent more SC on the game than perhaps i should (not including subscription and alpha squad) i agree that i dont feel i have an advantage whatsoever, i just play slightly different to others, and have tricked out my vehicles to look super sweet and **** worthy.
  9. Epicbob

dont understand all your crying :( .. if u pay ur get faster what u want .. so if u love to fly like me spend the 7$ for the pods o_O or the rotary or the A2A .. if u cant afford the 7 $ for a weapone .. than what had u done if the game costs 50 $ to play o_O

(sry eng is not my main language)
  10. FortySe7en

I try and stream every night. My regular schedule is Monday - Thurs 8-11 EST. Tonight might be iffy, I might have somewhere to be. This weekend I will be streaming just for this event, so expect my regular week times to be on the weekend as well!
  11. Lambchopz

I don't feel like this is a fair point honestly. A good/above average player is going to do well regardless of what he uses. A bad player is going to do poorly regardless of he uses. It's an FPS, skill is the deciding factor more then anything else at the end of the day.

I can see the argument about Rocket Pods and the Lightning main guns, since those are obviously more then sidegrades at the moment, but that also assumes competence in flying Aircraft and staying alive in a Lightning, thus skill. The Rocket Pods wouldn't mean anything if AA were better, so that's less of a P2W issue and more of a game design issue as far as I'm concerned. But either way, I can definitely see the argument for those two cases.
  12. gunshooter

Please explain how this proves anything. You get a huge advantage by spending money in this game and it's completely undeniable. This is as bad as the people saying that money doesn't give you an advantage in other F2P games where it clearly does, like T:A and LoL. Just delusional fanboys in denial.

I have a VS character who's 5:1 playing pure 0 cert 0 SC HA, and I still think PS2 is very pay to win. The top KDR and Score players all play HE tanks/Hellfire pod fighters which they bought with real money. I myself play a ton of those things, and would do much worse if I didn't have them.
  13. Meiu

Honestly, should have did that with TR as you would have a considerably easier time ;)
  14. Shepherd

This is awesome, 47. Keep it up!
  15. Ixal

Tl;Dr
    Answering any of your question would collapse my card house of PS2 not being P2W so I shuffle goalposts around and won't answer any of them.
  16. FortySe7en

Thank you for all the support and discussion that has been happening in this thread. Regardless of whether or not you agree with the current situation, it does give the proper feedback from the community.

If anyone is interested in joining me on this challenge, feel free to PM me!
  17. Campor

They're beatable. It takes different tactics than people using default equipment does, but they are beatable WITH default equipment and therefore it is not pay to win. It's as simple as that. Plus, you can get what they have without paying, it just takes time.

Pay to win means, quite literally, if you pay that you are not beatable by people who do not pay. Hence, pay to WIN. Paying to get what people can earn for free, just faster, is not winning. It is taking a short-term advantage in getting things early which will become redundant when enough free players have earned it.
  18. Tindahbawx

I dont get why you're not spending Certs. Its not like people who pay nothing don't get them. o_O
  19. Ixal

To quote your stream "Gameplay and discussion from a 14 year FPS veteran / pro player."
    Please simply stop. Your excuses get more and more embarrassing.
    And as it was said over and over again, your videos don't show anything about this game being P2W or not as you are unwilling to play a game with SC unlocks to compare.

But as you already say in the title, your mind is already made up, so of course you are not interested in an actual test. Your videos are about as worthless as a study made by Marlboro about smoking not being unhealthy.
  20. Campor

He already stated he has a character that he has used SC purchases on.