Terran LMG Advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Cavadus, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Cavadus

So I came back to the game after about eight months recently and I almost exclusively use the AMR-66 on my HA loadouts.

I love the rifle and it clearly got some love since last I played making it even better.

But sometimes it just isn't the right tool, especially in CQB situations.

So what are the LMGs like now? Last I played it was basically all CARV and TMG-50. CARV for CQB bullet-hosing, TMG-50 for medium range bursting.

Rhino was considered junk, MSWR was considered junk, and I don't think the Bull even existed. I recently unlocked the Bull and had some decent success with it in CQB base defense. CARV seems relatively ineffectual at this point. I also have the CARV-S unlocked. I haven't touched the TMG-50 since returning. With the recent double SC sale I'm swimming n SC with very little idea what to spend any of it on.

So what's the skinny on Terran LMGs?
  2. Kulso

Hope that helped.
    • Up x 6
  3. Asageh

Carv, MSW-R, TMG-50 and Carv-S all seem to be solid LMGs imo.
    • Up x 1
  4. Brenold

MSWR is the SMG-style of lmg
    Carv is still Carv. I like Carv-s with Exmags lol

I think the Bull is better for range than TMG, the TMG is just crap for me and if enemies get close you're screwed. I believe it was nerfed and given worse recoil so it's no longer the TMG everone was raving about a year ago.
    The Bull has high velocity so you can set it up for long range or for close to mid, with ammo attachments and rail attachments...

Didnt get the Rhino, couldn't see the point when comparing stats.
    • Up x 1
  5. Eternaloptimist

This is just my resonal experiences:

With burst control and compensator/foregrip I get lots of kills at long range with the TMG50. I use a 3.4x sight as I am not so accurate and you really seem to need accuracy with the TMG. I use 2x reflex yellow dot on all the others.

MSW-R has the rate of fire for quick take-downs in close quarters combat, for me at least but I have to remember to change mags quite frequently. I get hits, but much fewer kills at medium range with burst and foregrip

Bull is a good all-rounder to my way of thinking - again, with the compensator and foregrip. Although the lower number of reloads is tiresome sometimes. All-rounder is usually taken to mean not particularly good at anything - but I don't mean that. I think the Bull is a pretty solid weapon with a high muzzle velocity that probably helps it out a longer ranges.

I actually like the Rhino - surprisingly good at medium to long range. I hear the cone of fire is smaller and so more bullets can be expected to land on target. Not sure if I heard that correctly but I find recoil quite manageable at range as well.

I never could get on with the Carv but I will be giving Carv S a go after getting the directive on the Bull (to go with the ones I have on the others I've mentioned)
    • Up x 1
  6. Cavadus

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. Y'all's advice was very much needed and appreciated :)
  7. Asageh

Glad to hear.

Ps. Forgot about the Rhino.
  8. Kulso

uote]

No problem, anytime friend
  9. NoctD

There's nothing in the TR LMG arsenal that can compare to the Orion or Gauss SAW - ie. they're all somewhat lackluster options. The MSW-R might be good for a short range LMG, but the LA1 Anchor is just a much better all rounder with strong CQC. The TMG-50 is a poor man's EM6, the Bull is accurate and has the velocity, but on a whole its not that vastly different from the VS VX29 Polaris. The Rhino is just a poorer cheaper Bull.

Yeah there's the 2 bullet hoses CARV and CARV-S but they're bullet hoses ie. accuracy is compromised for dakka.

Which really leaves the TR with no truly top tier class leading LMG to pick from, nothing that can match the Orion or the SAW certainly.
    • Up x 3
  10. Golconda

I like the rhino, it's surprisingly accurate and thanks to that you land more bullets on the enemy, negating its lower ttk. It has perfectly bearable recoil even without a compensator that would kill the already big hipfire CoF.

Plus you can equip an adv forward grip for ultimate precision or ex mags for ultimate dakka spam (200/200 bullet profile).

If I were not an MCG abuser that would be my gun hands down.
  11. day ofm one

MSW-R <3<3<3

CARV-S with Compensator and 200 shot mag <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

I loved both LMGs and highly recommend to take a look at both.

The MSW-R is really good on close to medium range.

The CARV-S is a good gun on any range if you have a decent aim and good trigger discipline.
    • Up x 2
  12. FieldMarshall

As someone who plays all 3 faction but TR the most, im not very impressed with their LMGs.
    Feels like no matter what gun you pick, vs/nc has something similar but better

If i had to pick one, i would go with Rhino. Very good for ADS work.
    Its recoil is extremely controllable, and can equip AdvGrip.
    Or ex.mags if you want a 200mag weapon.
    Feels a bit like NS15
  13. Corvus Corax

Bull > rhino, prob is carv >> bull for most situations and msw-r >>>> carv. TMG is somewhere in the middle. If you go with ALS for MSW-r you will be doing very, very will in cqc. It's more or less the orion of the CQC.
  14. _itg

Not technically a Terran LMG, but the NS-15M is a nice gun. Easy recoil, good hipfire for an LMG, and the coveted 0.75x multiplier. You have to go for headshots to compensate for the poor DPS, but it's easy to land them with this gun. And of course, since it's NS you'll get it on all factions if you're buying with SC.
  15. sagolsun

Carv - the lightshow of tracers spraying randomly in all directions is a sure way to disorient your enemies!

Rhino - be a sportsman and give your opponent a chance to finish his conversation before taking cover with the rhino's ponderous cyclic rate!

TMG-50 - originally intended as a platform to simulate the combat effectiveness of troops suffering from parkinson's, using the lugs provided the TMG-50 can double as a concrete vibration device!

T7 Mini-chaingun - want to support your squad but couldn't hit a barn door standing from the inside? No worries, with the fun-sized T7 "front towards enemy" is all the aiming you'll ever need. 6 times as many barrels as the CARV, 6% more cyclic rate. 2 AA batteries required for operation. Not suitable for children under the age of 6. Batteries not included.
    • Up x 6
  16. Littleman

I've had success with the Carv equipped with a laser in CqC. CqC being 10-15m. Doesn't matter the weapon, the laser, or tightness of the CoF though, 10-15m is the maximum distance for hip-fire before bloom outstrips accuracy too fast for hipfire to be beneficial. SMGs circumvent this, but muzzle velocity becomes the problem, but I digress.

For CQC, my recommendations are the CARV, MSW-R, the CARV-S, NS-15m, or the T32 Bull. The latter three are more balanced, one-size-fits-all weapons however. You won't exceed nor lack in any area if you equip a laser on either of these two. The former two definitely benefit from a CQC loadout however. Yes, even the CARV, simply because that rate of fire forces your target to reach inside their souls and draw upon their Touhou skills. The MSW-R and CARV are "bullet hell" incarnate.

For ranged support, go fore-grip and pick an LMG, they all perform about the same, frankly speaking. The TR arsenal seems to be far more reliant on attachments than the other two empire's in my experience - utter crap without, above par with. The other two empires are a bit less extreme in general.
  17. BobSanders123

Give MSW-R 800 RPM and then it will truly be worthy of use.
    • Up x 1
  18. pnkdth

The good'ole CARV is usually my go-to weapon. Where other 750RPM needs to reload, the CARV can push forwards. Longer reload, yes, but we've got a pocket SMG as a side arm. If you are big on pre-firing, the larger ammo pool has obvious advantages here as well. Your stats may not look as MLG Ready but then again, only tryhards care about that.

If you are a "High aim player" though, the T32 Bull is a great choice. Extremely accurate when fitted with attachments, has an a high bullet velocity by default which means SPA does not hurt it at range. Very fast reload as well. At 10-15 meters, thanks to SPA, you require one less shot than normal. Statistically speaking low ROF weapons benefit the most from SPA.

TMG-50 is terrible without attachments but feels very good with a comp/grip.

For CQC my go-to weapon, with any class who can use it, is the Baron. Good compromise between range and damage, and being able to reload for as many shots as you fire is something which fits my playstyle very well.
  19. IberianHusky

CARV and MSW-R for CQC, NS-15m for everything else.

Also, it should be noted that if you get good with the NS-15m, then you are good across all characters and factions.
  20. 7deer7

AMR-66? Know the feeling bro. If you are looking for long range LMG's take the TMG-50 and The T32-Bull. Perfect for long range!